• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Chassis Codes

Hi All,

I'm in Australia and looking at this NSX for sale on Car Sales but it's history is not clear, so I'm trying to find out more information about it;

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars...247 1252 1282 4294965322 4294964914&silo=1011

The VIN Number and Engine Number are NA11000524 and C30A1005409 respectively. Does anyone know how to figure out what country this vehicle was sold in based on the VIN Number?

Last edited:
I can tell you its def not a NSX made for the USA Line going by that Vin you provided

Not sure based on the broken link and incomplete VIN.

Starting at "NA11000524" and adding the obligatory "JH4" beforehand, you're still missing about 4 digits to be a US VIN.

Thanks guys.

I have fixed up the broken link.

I'm pretty sure this will be either an AUDM or JDM car, and apparently the VIN number is complete. Is there anyway to tell if this is really a 1997 model?

A true 1997 manual Would be a 3.2 liter engine and 6 speed manual transmission with a vin of na2 (this one is a 3.0 liter and a 5 speed) There are some interior things that are different (this one as an early armrest for a 1991 or 1992 for example) Not to mention the vin appears to be "na1..." which would indicate its pre-1997 (unless it is an automatic trans which were all na1 regardless of the year).

Wrong.

Other than it being a fact, don't you think it is only logical the rest of the world DON'T follow the US 17 character VIN System? :rolleyes:

VINs follow a worldwide standard (ISO 3779) which
allows for regional variants, but all with 17 characters.
Ken never said everyone followed all the specifics of
the US system, he just said they were 17 chars long.

I can't comment on how strictly ISO 3779 was observed
worldwide during the earlier years of NSX production
but it is in wide use now.

I never quoted Ken saying anything about a "US system."

The 17 character VIN was firstly standardized by the NHTSA of the US in 1981 (with ISO 3779 shortly revised in 1983) hence I called it a US System.

I do realize cars in EU also have 17 character VINs.

The last of the JDM NSXs produced don't carry 17 character VINs.

Last edited:
Back