• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Collector Car Insurance

I recently changed from Hagerty Insurance to Delp (a program endorsed by Barrett-Jackson) after they included a brochure in my 2009 Concorso exhibitor packet

While I have not had a claim with them to know how that would go, I was amazed at how inexpensive it was, for agreed value coverage (under $300 per year for $50K agreed value and $1M liability coverage in my case, which includes driving it less than 3K miles a year, and living in the SF Bay Area).

Moreover, I was just reviewing my policy, and the things they cover are amazing. They aren't all even related to normal car-insurance sorts of coverage, like paying for hotel and other living expenses if your car breaks down on a trip, or paying for costs related to locking your keys in the car or losing the keys.

Here is the summary of benefits:
- Agreed Value, but if the car increases in value, will cover up to 50% more than that.
- Includes Diminished Value, for reimbursement to cover the car being worth less after accident repair.
- Can use any repair shop, and still guarantee New OEM parts if available other than windshield (I might choose to pitch in for the additional cost of an OEM windshield if necessary, although I doubt an aftermarket NSX windshield is available anyway given the low numbers)
- Includes roadside assistance (no cost, no limit on frequency)
- Includes excellent towing coverage: In the event of a covered loss or disablement, we will pay, without a deductible, the cost to tow your vehicle to the repair facility of your choice within a 100 mile radius of where your auto became disabled. If the nearest facility authorized by the manufacturer to repair your auto is farther, we will pay the cost to transport it there.
- Unlike my regular auto policy, includes contents coverage for up to $2500 for an accident, break-in, or other incident.
- Includes up to $1000 coverage for an animal in the car hurt in an accident or other incident.
- Includes a rental car: Up to a maximum of $12,500 for temporary transportation expenses incurred by you for comparable transportation in the event of a loss to your covered auto. We will also pay for the loss of the auto if the title is shown to be fraudulent, you did not know it was fraudulent and the auto is confiscated by a public authority.
- Includes coverage for trip interruption/emergency living expenses: We will pay, without application of a deductible, up to a maximum of $2,500 for reasonable trip interruption and emergency living expenses incurred by you as a result of a covered loss to your covered auto or non-owned auto, after collision, other incident, or even for mechanical or electrical breakdown.
- Vehicle Identity Theft coverage: We will pay, without application of a deductible, for expenses incurred to establish ownership as a result of fraudulent and unlawful use of a vehicle identification number by other than an insured under this policy.
- Auto-lock coverage: We will pay, without application of a deductible, for a loss of keys to your covered auto or nonowned auto which include: 1. The cost to duplicate or replace lost or stolen keys; 2. The labor costs to retrieve keys accidentally locked in the vehicle; or 3. The cost to re-key the vehicle locks when the keys are lost or stolen or the vehicle is stolen and then recovered.
- Coverage is worldwide
- Best of all, zero deductible collision and comprehensive (other than earthquake, which is 5% deductible)

What's the catch?
The only negative I can find (again, not having had a claim) is that the underwriter is AIG, and AIG's main auto policy service got only 2/5 stars for customer satisfaction on JD Power's survey. That's pretty bad. But the Delp collector car policy is somewhat separate from their normal auto business, I have the specific guarantees above, and I really have no real comparison point for Hagarty, Sneed, etc. against them, as they weren't listed. Plus, I checked with a friend who runs a body shop, and he said he hadn't had trouble even with regular AIG on covering the full repair costs to fix things right, unlike some insurers.

I wanted to pass this on.
http://www.barrett-jackson.com/insurance/

Chip

Last edited:
thanks for posting this,i had been wondering if insurance like this existed.these cars are low risk for insurance companies,bc we're careful with them.

Can't/won't drive less than 3,000 miles per year. Mine's an 02 bought new in 2/03 and just using it on nice weekends (not enough this year:frown:) I have 52,000 miles. Now if I'm able to get more "toys", my plan is to keep this one too, maybe I could get down to 3-4,000 miles per year, but that remains to be seen!

I had DELP-Barrett-Jackson insurance for my NSX for the past couple years. I was paying just $81/year. I had the usual restrictions, normal for a collector car.

Barrett-Jackson changed their insurance carrier to CHARTIS a while back but my premium stayed the same.

Now the bad news....

My new premium just came up and the amount they want for coverage is now $703. Barrett-Jackson CHARTIS sent me 2 invoices, one for just liability and medical, and the other for the replacement value.

I had no accidents and just a bogus no seat belt ticket a few years ago.

I just read on one of the Shelby forums that Barrett-Jackson/Chartis is getting out of the collector's muscle car insurance biz.

I'm now searching for another collector car insurance. I'm checking into Hagerty but any other suggestions?

Last edited:
That's odd. My Barrett-Jackson insurance policy just renewed at the end of August, and my rates were unchanged. $200 liability/year for $1M coverage, and $89/year for coverage for my NSX at $50K agreed value. I wonder if the rates went up since then, or the silly tickets you mentioned were relevant (I didn't have those), or what?

The company I used before then was Hagerty, and I would definitely price compare them then.

By the way, I don't think the underwriter changed. AIG was the underwriter before, and they changed their name to Chartis after the public embarrassment of needing a large unpopular federal bailout.

Chip

Last edited:
I don't have specific info on your ins carrier,but insurance in general is about pricing risk.Mathematical formular are used to calculate the relative risk for claims in a certain class of activities.Just goes to show you how much risk to the company is reduced when the 3000 mile/year restriction is in place.Now between us I wonder how many collector car folks game the system by odometer rollback.:confused:

I got a bit curious/concerned by your post, ImolaOrange03, so called up Barrett Jackson. They said they are not getting out of the insurance business. However, they said they are changing the way that cars 10 years old or less are being priced. Given yours is a 2003, that includes you but not me. But that means you may want to get a quote again after the car is 10 years old to double-check you shouldn't come back, if you do switch.

Other places I know of beyond Hagerty are Sneed, Grundy, and Chubb. I don't know about quality of service from any of them, though.

Last edited:
I got a bit curious/concerned by your post, ImolaOrange03, so called up Barrett Jackson. They said they are not getting out of the insurance business. However, they said they are changing the way that cars 10 years old or less are being priced. Given yours is a 2003, that includes you but not me. But that means you may want to get a quote again after the car is 10 years old to double-check you shouldn't come back, if you do switch.

Other places I know of beyond Hagerty are Sneed, Grundy, and Chubb. I don't know about quality of service from any of them, though.

Thanks for the info. My insurance agent will be calling me soon to discuss the changes in my policy. The one person I spoke with mentioned they are currently looking for another insurance carrier.

I didnt say they were getting out of the iinsurance business but just what was being posted in a Carroll Shelby car forum, that they were getting out of the "muscle car" insurance biz. I guess quite a few of their members got the substantial rise in their premiums also.

If they are raising rates on less than 10 year old cars, then so be it.

Last edited:
more likely they are seeing more claims/liability with newer cars.

I got a call from Barrett-Jackson/Delp and the agent said that all the collector car insurance carriers raised their rates recently, including Hagerty.

Cars fitting these these descriptions had a substantial increase in premiums:
1.) High performance sports cars
2.) Cars under 10 years
3.) Cars exceeding $50,000 in value

She also mentioned that their premium was still the lowest among the collector car insurance carriers including Hagerty.

Last edited:
I got a call from Barrett-Jackson/Delp and the agent said that all the collector car insurance carriers raised their rates recently, including Hagerty.

Cars fitting these these descriptions had a substantial increase in premiums:
1.) High performance sports cars
2.) Cars under 10 years
3.) Cars exceeding $50,000 in value

She also mentioned that their premium was still the lowest among the collector car insurance carriers including Hagerty.

It does'nt surprise me.Have you ever seen how the grey hair crowd drives thier old collector cars....they ride thier wifes much harder:tongue: Those old cars are driven like creampufs.

Back