• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX "kill" stories

ChopsJazz said:
This community used to frown on street racing stories. I liked that about us. Why do we now seem to support these threads?

I think for the most part it is still the same Ken. BUT, you do have to realize since I have been a member which ain't long (I watched prime for nearly a year and a half BEFORE joining though), we are getting more and more younger owners (such as myself), as well as other import junkies (no offense, just meant the people having the same love of imports as us), coming onto Prime from other forums. These people bring with them their race stories, and their forum edicacies that are tolerated, and maybe it's not the age I should address, but the maturity. I think deep down in all of us, we wanna' screeeech off at the light when being stared at, but some of us have the willpower not to, while others may not have ever got to have their wild teen driving days, or are going through their mid-life crisis and just want to be recognized by the world that they are still young at heart, by kicking that pimple faced, 16 year old, garbage canned civics' exhaust @$$ next to them at the light, by leaving them in the dust. Honestly, I think some of the stories on here are just to hear the responses to make them feel young, others just possible immaturity, and then those of us who jus' got to let it out sometimes.

I know the other night an SRT-4...STILL A NEON IN MY BOOK:rolleyes:, revved up to me at a light. I wanted soo bad to just stomp it, and wax him. Instead, I held back, and low and behold it was a light from the heaven above:wink:...or maybe from behind me accompanied by a beautiful welping siren alert followed by flashing blue lights:biggrin:. Then I remembered why I didn't do it.:wink:

If you get nothing else from this write up, take this with you;
"by kicking that pimple faced, 16 year old, garbage canned civics' exhaust @$$"

i am a younger person from another person. i am only 23 years old but i don't see why some forums would lock or delete a kill thread. even though i am young, i don't not street race. and even if i do, its probrably like a twice a year thing and thats when the times are just right and i know for a fact that i'm only endangering my own life.

we all are responsible adults, we all make judgements but if the time and conditions are right, i think its okay to have a little fun with the car. the only difference between racing and beating on the car is that theres someone else with you.

i would dare say that if the conditions are favorable for a street race, it would be as safe if not safer then you driving day in and day out most of the times. i would know for a fact because i almost get runned off the road everyday when i just to and from work. if i was to relax alittle bit maybe i would've rear ended someone etc. but when your racing, your senses are all heightened, and your more aware of everything. its totally up the driver's own judgement to see how risky he wants to drive. but that can be said about you guys driving spiritedly on the dragon and so on.

i am by no means endorsing street racing. i just don't think its as bad as some people say it is. as long as the conditions are right and your not being a total jackass behind the wheel.

my 2 cents.

i really hope i didn't offend anyone. if there was a 1/4 track closer to my home or a road racing circuit that would be my preferred form or racing.

While I don't street race (I can't afford any more tickets), I'm sure some of our "seasoned" members probably did some street racing back in the day. Let's face it, if you had a 442, 454 LS6, or a 426 Hemi you would have done some street races.

Personally, I think if you don't like them, then don't read them. Simple as that.

s14_tat said:
i am a younger person from another person. i am only 23 years old but i don't see why some forums would lock or delete a kill thread. even though i am young, i don't not street race. and even if i do, its probrably like a twice a year thing and thats when the times are just right and i know for a fact that i'm only endangering my own life.

we all are responsible adults, we all make judgements but if the time and conditions are right, i think its okay to have a little fun with the car. the only difference between racing and beating on the car is that theres someone else with you.

i would dare say that if the conditions are favorable for a street race, it would be as safe if not safer then you driving day in and day out most of the times. i would know for a fact because i almost get runned off the road everyday when i just to and from work. if i was to relax alittle bit maybe i would've rear ended someone etc. but when your racing, your senses are all heightened, and your more aware of everything. its totally up the driver's own judgement to see how risky he wants to drive. but that can be said about you guys driving spiritedly on the dragon and so on.

i am by no means endorsing street racing. i just don't think its as bad as some people say it is. as long as the conditions are right and your not being a total jackass behind the wheel.

my 2 cents.

i really hope i didn't offend anyone. if there was a 1/4 track closer to my home or a road racing circuit that would be my preferred form or racing.

i agree. definitely heightens the senses and has you watching everything.

i don't race, but i am significantly more agressive when driving the nsx. what fun is the nsx if you don't carve corners a little faster :smile:

only thing that sucks about taking it to the track is your insurance won't cover it. of course, it's a helluva lot safer, and your'e not going to potentially kill somebody that didn't sign up for it.

just don't put anybody else in danger (ie, freeways at 3am with nobody in sight). if you're at least that considerate, then you won't regret it nearly as much if something bad does happen.....

Synthesis said:
just don't put anybody else in danger (ie, freeways at 3am with nobody in sight). if you're at least that considerate, then you won't regret it nearly as much if something bad does happen.....

Never had it happen, (almost, early this year)
but I have a new hightened respect for deer after dark!!!
(There are some threads here with pics, nasty possibilities)
IMO 3am is not the time to "open it up"

Also agree with the "dont put anybody else in danger".
I try very hard to not drive fast with a passenger.

Synthesis said:
what fun is the nsx if you don't carve corners a little faster :smile:

Carving corners is a lot different than racing somebody on the street where there are a lot of innocent people minding their own business on the roads.

Synthesis said:
i agree. definitely heightens the senses and has you watching everything.

i don't race, but i am significantly more agressive when driving the nsx. what fun is the nsx if you don't carve corners a little faster :smile:

only thing that sucks about taking it to the track is your insurance won't cover it. of course, it's a helluva lot safer, and your'e not going to potentially kill somebody that didn't sign up for it.

I guessed 3am on Highway is just relatively not as busy as day time. But it's never safer, think all the drunk drivers, late to home cross country travelers/truckers that's basically was sleeping and wandering until he/she hit the marble.

I do drive in excessive speed from time to time, but I hardly race at all, there's really nothing to prove. And there's no trophy or prize money if you win.

Track event? It's not racing either, you only get to pass people when you get the "finger" (let by). It's kind of tiring, you usually have to get the car ready the day before, swapping brake rotors and pads, maybe adjusting suspension, cleaning/gutting the car, get your track equipment in the car, waking up early in the morning to get to the track, after the event, you reverse all the stuff back to street setting, cleaning up the car from all the cone killing, tire mark, (That involves some buffing and waxing if you care the car's paint) maybe fixing things that you had broke on the day... But trust me, I had never seen anyone not getting hooked by this. It's well worth it. Whoever worries about their insurance for the first track day with an instructor is not necessary.

s14_tat said:
i don't not street race. and even if i do, its probrably like a twice a year thing and thats when the times are just right and i know for a fact that i'm only endangering my own life. .

So, despite the double negative actually coming out correctly (even if you did it by accident :biggrin: ), you DO "street race" after all. :wink:

Mind telling me how you *know* the "times are just right" and you *know*, for a fact, you are "only endangering your own life" ??? :rolleyes:

we all are responsible adults

:rolleyes: Anyone ??? :eek: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

i would dare say that if the conditions are favorable for a street race, it would be as safe if not safer then you driving day in and day out most of the times. i would know for a fact because i almost get runned off the road everyday when i just to and from work. if i was to relax alittle bit maybe i would've rear ended someone etc. but when your racing, your senses are all heightened, and your more aware of everything.

This has been a "hot button", on Long Island especially, the last few years since there have been several fatal accidents caused by "street racing" (when conditions were "favorable" ??? :rolleyes: ) These racers are/have been pursued aggressively for MANSLAUGHTER !!!

YOUR senses may be heightened when you're street racing but the pedestrians aren't. The other drivers around you (other than the guy you're racing) are not. THEIR senses are not "heightened".

And while your sense might be heightened, at these kinds of speeds, are your reactions any faster than they otherwise would be ?

Proponents of higher speed limits are always pointing out how much better drivers they are and at higher speeds with little traffic there is seldom much more (if any) cause for alarm. Unfortunately they have to share the road with "lesser" skilled drivers and anyone worth their salt will tell you it is NOT "speed" that kills per se, it is the DIFFERENCE in speed between the slower cars and faster cars that cause most high speed accidents. :wink:

so why'd you buy a sports car again? tell ya what, i'll give you my civic and you can enjoy driving slow in it.... i'll put your car to good use. could always use a beater nsx.... :smile:

but seriously.... carving corners (ie, going around corners faster than you should even if you don't break the speed limit) can be just as dangerous... if not more. could be a deer, stopped car, etc. i'm talking about non-traffic-filled roads. if you're weaving between drunkies and sleepy people, then I agree.. you probably don't wanna be doin 130 by them. and not for their safety, for yours. they are the ones putting you at risk.

keep in mind, you can't drive your nsx anywhere other than the streets or a track. if there is no track near you, or you don't want to spend 500 bucks everytime you break 80-90 mph, then speed responsibly. if you want to race, do it somewhere where nobody's around. even if you cut the chances of hitting somebody down by 90%, you're better off. would probably be better off racing on some completely secluded road than driving normally in traffic with pedestrians all over the place.

Synthesis said:
so why'd you buy a sports car again? tell ya what, i'll give you my civic and you can enjoy driving slow in it.... i'll put your car to good use. could always use a beater nsx.... :smile:

In fact, I own two slow cars, a hybrid Civic and an Insight. I and my wife commute in them. I own a sports car to enjoy its speed and agility, not to blow away Evos and Mustangs et al. When I enjoy the car's speed and agility I do it in a way that does not endanger others on the street. If, as you suggest, a deer jumps in my way (as has happened in the past), as could happen to anyone anytime, then it could be dangerous. But that is a much different scenario than accepting a challenge from another driver in traffic.

I think traffic and the safety of others is the issue. "Street racing" by definition happens on the street, and I challenge any of you to prove that the other traffic using the street is not in any danger when drivers chose to race in their presence.

i agree.... if you're racing on croweded streets, i think that's pretty dumb

but judging by your license plate, you still like to provoke people :wink:

Synthesis said:
then speed responsibly.

Kinda like jumbo shrimp, military intelligence, etc.:biggrin:

NetViper said:
Personally, I think if you don't like them, then don't read them. Simple as that.

This thread has gotten off topic, from "kill stories" to the actual hazards of street racing which has been discussed to death.

It's not the content of the "kill stories" that I'm not fond of. In fact, I read them and sometimes they are pretty entertaining. It's just that they drag down an otherwise high class forum. So, not reading them isn't really an option. Some things I don't associate with NSX ownership, and "kill stories" is one of them.

Ski_Banker said:
Some things I don't associate with NSX ownership, and "kill stories" is one of them.

I agree with you, but as the NSX ownership age gets lower and lower, you are going to see more things like that. We have already seen a pretty large change in the last 2 years.

Personally I enjoy reading about how the NSX stacks up against other cars, but I do not support street racing, nor have I ever done it.

And the thread in regards to "Top Speed" doesn't concern you folks. Common now, let's not nickle and dime things here. Travelling up to 140 and excess can kill, and so does street racing. Both can be potentially deadly, yet, no one protests that thread. I certainly don't condone street racing when there are myriads of innocent bystanders around. All in all, I think it is just interesting reading to see where are cars currently stack up against others. If you don't like the threads, don't read them.

NSX-GUY said:
So, despite the double negative actually coming out correctly (even if you did it by accident :biggrin: ), you DO "street race" after all. :wink:

Mind telling me how you *know* the "times are just right" and you *know*, for a fact, you are "only endangering your own life" ??? :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: Anyone ??? :eek: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

This has been a "hot button", on Long Island especially, the last few years since there have been several fatal accidents caused by "street racing" (when conditions were "favorable" ??? :rolleyes: ) These racers are/have been pursued aggressively for MANSLAUGHTER !!!

YOUR senses may be heightened when you're street racing but the pedestrians aren't. The other drivers around you (other than the guy you're racing) are not. THEIR senses are not "heightened".

And while your sense might be heightened, at these kinds of speeds, are your reactions any faster than they otherwise would be ?

Proponents of higher speed limits are always pointing out how much better drivers they are and at higher speeds with little traffic there is seldom much more (if any) cause for alarm. Unfortunately they have to share the road with "lesser" skilled drivers and anyone worth their salt will tell you it is NOT "speed" that kills per se, it is the DIFFERENCE in speed between the slower cars and faster cars that cause most high speed accidents. :wink:

yes there are times when you can just feel it being safe. such as the road that you drive to and from everyday from work. you know where all the cops hide, you know the roads and conditions of hte roads perfectly. sorry but theres no deers running across the long island expressway every so i won't have to worry about dears. and i will only race if the road is perfectly straight, with almost no body else on the road, and where i know for a fact i'm at a spot where the police isn't hiding. does that mean i will never get caught? no, but chances are alot smaller.

those are definitly favorable conditions for just a quick spirt. you guys are talkin about doing top speed runs and many have gone over 150-160mph on a public road. guess what at those speeds and you get caught your going to get thrown in jail and have your car impounded for doing 3X the speed limit.

remember what i said earlier, the only difference between street racing and driving your car quick is htat theres someone driving with you. i have never gone past 120mph in my car because the roads in nyc doesn't permit me to go any faster. which means even though i street race i still have judgement to know when to stop. i know in new jersey people regularly cruise at 90mph on the turn pike.

i seldom drive 20 mph over hte limit. which means i cruise at 70mph usually. and on the local streets with a 25 mph speed limit. i usually do 35mph. i follow the traffic rules pretty closely. i will say it again, i will not race on a road that i am not familar with. all the conditions has to be met before i would even try to race someone.

skyguy said:
WTF?:biggrin:

haha what meant to say was that "i'm person from another forum"

and if people here really dislike streetracing here, if i ever do get into a street race, i'll just post the story in a place where people would enjoy reading a job story. ( not here )

and NSX-GUY. the places that your talkin about in Long Island is Deer Park ave right? guess what i would almost never go there. too many people out there racing and too many cops on patrol. just because alot of people go out there to race doesnt' make it any safer. plus i don't feel like driving 40 miles there to get caught by the cops etc.

if i race, it better be a quiet ass place that i know where the roads are perfect and no cops and almost no traffic, and the roads have to be perfectly straight.

I wonder, what is the rationale for auto manufacturers stuffing the engine bays of cars with more and more power then?

An Escalade or a Jeep SUV has 400 HP, Dodge pickup trucks have 500, AMG's have 600. Next year, more power. If Honda makes a 350HP NSX now, it will be the pansy of the automotive world. No matter how good a car it is, no one will buy it.

If you want to drive a 500 HP car on the street, what you need is a driver's license and some money. The first accesible to half-blind half-senile 80 year olds who can answer a couple of basic questions, and the second not so important because they will finance anyone.

You don't need brains, maturity, or even a clean driving record to own a hyper powerful car. Just money.

I wonder... if the technology was there to give everyone a 1500HP car for $20K, would anyone object? Because I am pretty sure they will sell well.

Everyone has had the urge (okay - almost everyone) to streetrace. There will be both sides to this forum stating arguments to justify their actions or reasons for no action. Street racing is as old as combustion engines. The problem today is the volume of vehicles on the road and proximity of civilization to those roads. Spend your money wisely and go learn how to drive at an HPDE (Chin Motorsports/Tracquest/PCA). If you can spend $25k-90k on a car, spend a few dollars to learn how to drive it. Once you have tracked your car, street driving becomes rather docile and boring. Street racing has been so bad in parts of the country that the local law enforcement have been developing new punishments to enforce the "No racing" rules. Several counties in our state and I believe either NY or CA are confiscating the cars and demolishing them. No there is a story for your grandkids.

Former NSX-Owner - "There I was at the traffic light next to some Kmart special Civic. I looked at him, he looked at me. I brought the car to 3k RPM and launched. Off the line I killed 'em. That $5k car never had a chance. At the finish line the local PD was waiting for us. The promptly escorted me to the local impound/crushing lot, where they loaded my pristine limited production run NSX on the metal stamper and turned my car into this here paper weight. Cost me nearly $50k for that car. Since then I could only afford Yugo's and Kia's. Lost my license and then lost my job, ate soup for 3 years and retired as head cashier. BUT MAN - I SMOKED HIS A$$".

Grandson - "Great story oldtimer. (turns to his friends) - Excuse gramps, he lost his mind the minute he hit the throttle at the traffic light and has never come back.."

And closer to home, last month a client of mine had her new daughter in law taken from them in a car collison in which racing had some part. The daughter in law was on her way to church and driving the speed limit. A 17 year old in a high performance car lost control and hit her head-on. He lived - she died..... Great bragging rights there :mad:

Back