• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX owners who are in Aviation

I am pretty new to NSXprime. After just a few days on Prime I noticed that there are a lot of pilots and controller NSX owners. Just wanted to see how many people are involved in aviation, what you do, who you work for...

I work for Avantair, a fractional out of Clearwater Florida. I flew as a CFI at souther Illinois University at Carbondale and then as a freight dog in a king air 200 and cessna caravan. Then flew for Mesa (yuck), flying the CRJ 100, 200, 700 and 900.

I live in the Chicago area...

Thats all about me, im sure there are a lot of military guys and 121 guys from dubai... looking forward to hearing from you guys

Jason

Owned a C310Q for 15 years. Went to Comair in 2000. Flew the EMB120 for 2 months and then the CRJ200. Seven years in the left seat, displaced back to the right seat of the CRJ700/900 because the bottom-feeding, Mesa pilots signed a sub-par industry contract and undercut us replacing 1/3 our flights in CVG.

BTW: Jason - Mesa Sucks!

Owned a C310Q for 15 years. Went to Comair in 2000. Flew the EMB120 for 2 months and then the CRJ200. Seven years in the left seat, displaced back to the right seat of the CRJ700/900 because the bottom-feeding, Mesa pilots signed a sub-par industry contract and undercut us replacing 1/3 our flights in CVG.

BTW: Jason - Mesa Sucks!

I couldn't agree with you more, Mesa does suck. Which is why I am so proud to be free of them, and a member of LAMA (life after mesa airlines). One thing for sure, the pilots working there are in a world of hurt. When I came on board I barely had 2500 hours and was one of the less qualified people. At that time Chautauqua was being paid less than we were and we were losing flying to them. So, in the infinate wisdom of our CEO Jonathan Ornstein we were forced into lower wages. Chautauqua raised its pay and we became the lowest paid in the industry at that time.

Almost overnight, new pilots qualifications were dropped to just 250 total time, and our life went to shit. Ready reserve for 6 days straight for 12 hours in a closet sized crew room 1800nm from my wife. Cancelled vacations because of the mass exudus. It was ugly Stuck in the airline with no hiring to speak of I did the one thing that made sense to me, quit with no other job lined up. I took my ATP cert and shredded it, threw my logbook in long term storage and decided to get into mortgages... Just in time for the meltdown...

Out of neccessity I applied to fractionals because I have had it with the airlines. I was lucky to get interviews with two fractionals. Avantair paid a little less but I wouldnt have to commute. And here I am, upgraded in about 8 months... and been loving life ever since.

CL... I assume your hatred of Mesa is directed to the airline and not the people. Some very good people are stuck in a really bad situation over there. My wish is that when Mesa goes out of business they will be forced to get batter jobs... so in the end it will be an overall good move for those guys.

This industry sucks, if you are on top one minute, youre on the bottom the next. And no one is getting paid what we should anymore. Its impossible to get ahead. I got your PM before and know EXACTLY what you feel because I have been there and done that my friend.

Clear skies and tailwinds

Jason

I mainly fly Diamond Katana...

I don't own a personal plane, but I want something like Lancair :biggrin:

I heard Lancair is dangerous though...once you stall or spin, you won't be able to recover.
Even their test pilot couldn't recover and crashed...that kinda scares me.

Otherwise, I think RV-6 or RV-7 would be awesome!

Well, i recently graduated from the university of Missouri at Rolla with a degree in mechanical and aerospace engineering. I am in the process of finding a job right now, so if anyone knows of any entry level positions. ;)

I got my Private Certificate (ASEL) in three months by flying most weekends. I was about 10 hours from being able to take the Instrument check ride, but other things got in the way. I have about 150 hours and haven't been up in years. I miss it.

I mostly flew Cessna 152, 172 and Piper Warriors. I always wanted a Cessna 177B Cardinal. On a whim, I once bought a single seater Jim Bede BD-5B kit, but ended up selling it right away without working on it. That would have been cool, but it has a steep learning curve and has caught many pilots off guard.

One of these days, I'll get back to it.

A cargo dog, 135 in s/e Florida until the owner screwed it up. UPS, Airbourne feeder, plus any 135 to the Bahamas. We had a lock on the Walkers Cay 135 work amoung other places around the islands.
Worked for Florida Division of Forestry in FMY doing fire work with a UH-1.
I'm still DOM of a 135 in LNA
Lived in Nassau for the US government, Bell 412 EP. Still trying to get back there with the company.
Have a buddy dispatcher for Chautauqua, in Indy. (no work in s/Florida)
I've been doing helicopter 135 since the 80's. Multi eng. fixed wing 135 off and on since the 90's. Loved it. Trying to get one going now.
Working for American Eurocopter now, up in Colombus, (N/E Moose Buttocks), Mississippi. Don't like these kind of helicopters or Miss. but have to work.
Still multi rated and heading up some helicopter mods for A.E.C. in DCA
My QA guy over here with me did nine years with Mesa, Jungle Jets and CRJs. Hates it like you guys.
Never have and never would do 121, to much B.S., no fun or loyalty.

Own a pristine '92 GPW w/29.000 miles and a few Type-R mods and other bits.
Collected the rest of what I want, just waiting to get back to finish them.
Hopefully back down south.

Cheers
nigel

Been flying since 1988, all private with no military or commercial. Flew a Cessna 310R in the 1st around the world air race in 1992 with a former SR-71 driver as my partner (took 3rd), and flew a 1952 Tripacer (125hp) to the southern tip of South America and back in 1995-96 in The Great South American Air Adventure (google gsaaa for more).

I retired in late 2008 and sold my last plane in 2009. Always looking for something new to fly. Been across 4 continents and to about 2 dozen countries all in my own small planes, with all flights starting in lowly Nebraska. Just a poor bastard that's had "the bug" for as long as I can remember breathing.

Well, i recently graduated from the university of Missouri at Rolla with a degree in mechanical and aerospace engineering. I am in the process of finding a job right now, so if anyone knows of any entry level positions. ;)

Northrop Grumman has openings. It all depends on where you want to work. How about sunny San Diego?:smile:

Tomcat RIO, now Aerospace Engineering Duty Officer (AEDO) in Navy Reserves.
NAVAIR (Naval Air Systems Command) probably has openings for civilians with your degrees.

Current SWA Captain.

Type rated B-737NG B-747 DC-10

Some jets I have been Captain on:

16_74F_N454PA.jpg

World_2-753566.jpg

2445038969_b52779a9d9.jpg

220050062_9b9988f0ea.jpg

I've worked in aviation for over 20 years. I now own a business that provides engineering and certification services for VIP and Business aircraft. My dad was in the Air Force then became a test pilot. He retired as General Manager of an aviation company 8 years ago. You could say, it's in my blood.

I know your inclination may be to work in the U.S. but have you considered making a move to the United Arab Emirates (UAE)? Both Etihad and Emirates are always looking for engineers...more so Etihad in Abu Dhabi.:biggrin:

Tax free and a great lifestyle for sure!

I've worked in aviation for over 20 years. I now own a business that provides engineering and certification services for VIP and Business aircraft. My dad was in the Air Force then became a test pilot. He retired as General Manager of an aviation company 8 years ago. You could say, it's in my blood.

That's important to also know... why aviation appeals to us. My Dad also was a USAF test pilot. He started out of Texas A&M and after pilot training was in the Army Air Corps. He flew 52 combat missions in the North African and European theater flying B-17s, B-24s and P-38s. He flew several missions over Ploiesti Romania and lived to tell about it. He also flew B-36s and later on a test pilot. In the reserves he flew C-124s, C-141s and the H/B-52 where I was born in Ellsworth AFB SD. He retired from Richards-Gebaur outside of Kansas City. He's still kicking at 92!

My USAF career was in ATC. Today I run a simulator for Close Air Support and Indirect Fire at Ft Bragg NC, supported by a few degrees from Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University.....

I'm in general aviation. As you can see from my sig, I have my own business that is an Aircraft Club and Flight School in Austin, TX. We operate 4 aircraft from Light Sport up to a Cirrus SR22. Hoping to add more aircraft and equipment soon.... (Thanks Umar for the plug.)

I'm an Embry Riddle graduate....I'm half aviation enthusiasts half car enthusiasts.

MIZZOUNCC, what year did you gradate? Nice to see another Embry Riddle gradaute here.

Last edited:
Current SWA Captain.

Type rated B-737NG B-747 DC-10

Some jets I have been Captain on:

2445038969_b52779a9d9.jpg

SWA=Seldom Wants Active. :biggrin: But if you need something from SWA, they are usually going to come through for you. Some other airlines move like snails when you use words like "immediate".

Back