• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Production Trivia

MvM said:
One of the first uses of a double-paned rear-window to prevent fogging.
Was that the motivation, or is it double-paned to reduce the noise level inside the car?

Also, Acura claims that the 1995 NSX was the first production car with throttle-by-wire.

Tom239 said:
Was that the motivation, or is it double-paned to reduce the noise level inside the car?
Noise level.

(Although at least one magazine at the time joked that the vacuum between the panes was yet another strategy to achieve weight savings...)

Casper91 said:
MANUFACTURING

The NSX is that it is the only car from a major manufacturer that is still built entirely by hand.

All NSX are produced in 1 factory in Tochigi, Japan that was specifically built for the production of NSX’s

IIRC, the Insight and S2000 are built in the same factory though I don't know if both of those models are entirely built by hand as well.

steveny said:
Has a NSX been crashed, by accident, on any of the testing tracks?

I would assume it has to have happened at least once. Just statistics would suggest that. I hope I am wrong though.

nsxtasy said:
I don't know, but based on the recent experience of some other marques, this seems to be the responsibility of the top management executives. :D

Hmm?? What happened??

Bram said:
The first Japanese Super Car
The first split AC system
The only car developed using a Super computer for stress analysis

I'm sure there are others, I will check my books

Did someone say dveloped by Senna

What do they mean by "split AC system"?

Casper91 said:
All NSX are produced in 1 factory in Tochigi, Japan that was specifically built for the production of NSX’s
Last year Honda announced that NSX production was going to be moved from Tochigi to one of their larger factories (the Suzuka factory, I believe). I don't know whether that move has taken place yet or not.

As far as I know (being an Integra fan) The 1992 GSR was the first year/model the Teg got VTEC guts here in the U.S.
I found a detailed article on Integra history Here.
engine code was B17A
The next GSR evolution (1994) got the B18C.

I know you aren.t looking for Integra production facts, so for a factoid on the drivetrain piece as it refers to the NSX...

The first NSX test mules had the SOHC V6 from the Flagship Legend in them.

Philip

Last edited:
92NSX said:
Sounds like the exact same things that are in print in my NSX book. ;)
I think the Integra was the first car to make use of VTEC.
92 gsr was the first integra to use vtec. the nsx was the first.

92NSX said:
Sounds like the exact same things that are in print in my NSX book. ;)
I think the Integra was the first car to make use of VTEC.

nsx-tech said:

If you are confining your fact list to the US, then this is correct. If you are speaking of production cars in general, then, as stated earlier, the B16A was introduced in 1989 and was availaible in Civics, CRX's, and Integras. It is a DOHC VTEC system just like the NSX has.

Dave Hardy said:
If you are confining your fact list to the US, then this is correct.

The fact in question is clearly stated in the first post on this thread

"VTEC: First application in U.S."

Although some of the facts are applicable accross the world market, (since the NSX is sold worldwide) that one fact pertained to the U.S. only.

As for the world in general, it hardly surprises me that other countries got VTEC technology first. If you look at the performance models, and engine tech Honda keeps out of our country (NSX - R, NSX - S, Integra Type R, Civic Type R) you might even feel a little... Neglected?

Very cool to learn about production trivia for Honda powerplants in general though. Pretty groundbreaking stuff to study.

Might be interesting to aquire some sales / resale numbers for the different markets. I am curious how resale is in Japan as far as percentage of depreciation vs. the European, and U.S. markets.

That is all,

Philip

Last edited:
H-carWizKid said:
As for the world in general, it hardly surprises me that other countries got VTEC technology first. If you look at the performance models, and engine tech Honda keeps out of our country (NSX - R, NSX - S, Integra Type R, Civic Type R) you might even feel a little... Neglected?
I've heard folks inside the company state that they often introduce new technologies and models elsewhere to give them a chance to prove their reliability (and discover any problems) before making them available in the States, their most important market...

nsxtasy said:
I've heard folks inside the company state that they often introduce new technologies and models elsewhere to give them a chance to prove their reliability (and discover any problems) before making them available in the States, their most important market...

I have always thought that the lower sales volume of NSX's prevented Honda from offering the upgraded models in the U.S. Everyone loves the Type-R, but how many of the people who are buying new NSX's today would be willing to cough up the additional cash for a Type-R?

Why we don't get the new Integra, and Civic Type-R's is completely beyond me.
Why not bring the U.S. market the pocket rocket toybox? Comparatively inexpensive performance products that boast reliability as well as agility.
We have the market...
I have been shopping, I can't find an unmolested 2001 Integra Type-R for less than 20k, but I can find GSR's with similar milage for 13-15k all day. Considering the market on compacts (even sport compacts) that is a pretty clear message that these things are wanted, coveted, and demanding supply.

I guess THAT is where the neglect is felt... At least in the eyes of this enthusiast.

Off Topic.... Sorry.

Philip

Also has to do with basic economics and profits. For an ultra low volume variation of an already low volume model like the NSX, unless it's priced ridiculously high, they will lose a lot of money on the overhead costs, such as creating and maintaining a parts list, providing warranty support, possible re-certification costs, stocking parts, promotional materials, dealer training, etc.

There may appear to be a large market when we talk in enthusiast forums, but the unfortunate reality of the situation is that relatively few people will cough up the extra cash for the enthusiast model, and American Honda as a company is unwilling to make these niche models available unless they will sell in high enough volume. I guess only the Integra Type-R met this requirement in AH's eyes. But, even so, the number of ITRs sold pale in comparison to the other Integra models. And, seeing how long it took them to sell all 50 Zanardi NSXs, I don't think they'll consider any other NSX variants anytime soon. I'd be willing to bet that they are seeing how well the RSX sells before they consider bringing over the Type-R model. Then again, perhaps the decision has already been made not to.

I'd like to see the enthusiast models too, and wish Honda would make them available here, in the same spirit as BMW M-Cars, Volvo R-Cars, Ford SVT cars, Mercedes AMG cars, etc.

nsxtasy said:

Last edited:
nsxtasy said:
Last year Honda announced that NSX production was going to be moved from Tochigi to one of their larger factories (the Suzuka factory, I believe). I don't know whether that move has taken place yet or not.

It has taken place. I've seen newer NSX window stickers that say they are built at Suzuka. My '05 S2000 was also built at Suzuka.

There was actually a farewell party for the Tochigi factory, for which over 900 people applied, and 200 were drawn to attend.

From the NSX Club of Japan Website:

http://www.nsxcj.com/event.htm

Scroll down to the image of the badge.

English Translation from Systran (not perfect, but you can get the idea).

Not sure why they would have 62 Nissans in the facility, but that's actually what the original Japanese text says, if I'm not mistaken.

アキ・#133;ラ is "Acura".

-----------------------------------
In 1990 the Takanezawa factory which it worked as the NSX private factory, decided that this summer the production is transferred in Suzuka, the owner and its accompanying person of the NSX S2000 in sight were invited to last tour through a factory. Application from the HONDA home page crossed over 900, so, approximately 200 names participated with pulling out selection. The participation from Fukuoka was included even from club of Japan and the club member who crosses over 10 names met.

There is Tsukamoto's and Ozaki's greeting with the employee dining room factory Chief Tochigi, in place of Uehara of continuation absence, after the gathering photograph at the entryway, divides into 8 about groups, the employee goes into the factory in induction explanation.

This day Saturday was, but usual work day it probably will put out, is. The sale of S2000 being favorable, it was for increasing with anything. In addition, also NSX where the quantity is more than usual was discovered in the line. The majority seemed like Type-T of アキ・#133;ラ. After all, it probably is to be also a stock amount at the time of transferring? ? ? The NISSAN 62 unit, NSX was 1 - 2 units.

With usual observation it was guided to the building which is not seen. It is press process. With the photograph you have seen, but it is unprecedented to enter here. Before the enormous machine 3 operators exactly were together job to breath. If it looked around, the part of the processing being completed of the door panel and the like systematically had lined up.

As for next refreshment booth. As for here as for part such as part of course, also the tools were tidied up already and completely the れ て were, already job seemed that ends. Simply, as for the one person of charge welcoming even at the time of acceptance, it could receive and, you being able to waive also the return, you were deeply impressed. So far, NSX which is refreshed is with 148 units.

The assembly booth is last. The usual way being work, it does, but the air it was to place, as loneliness has drifted, it was moved.

All observations ending, the participant is difficult to depart, the arm, his own car and the factory, in addition mixing the HONDA people, you could see the spectacle which takes the souvenir picture here and there. The people of the HONDA staff until we arrive to road, had waived at the entryway.

Producing 120000 units in 14 years. "Thank you Takanezawa factory, way if Takanezawa factory"
-----------------------------------------

Last edited:
Indeed, excellent info. You'd have positive reputation points from me if the system were still around. :wink:

So, from what is translated, 148 NSX's have gone through the factory refresh. That seems to be a good number. Though I'm not a betting man, I'd wager that the US market would produce at least as many "refreshments."

FWIW, a new NSX-R, in US currency, would cost approximately $116,000. Not including import tariffs and fees. Just thought I'd throw out that useless bit of info. :smile:

Looks like they actually toured the new Suzuka facility as part of NSX Fiesta 2004.

http://www.nsxcj.com/04fiesta.htm

Systran Translation of the Tour part (again, not perfect, but enough so you know what they are generally saying).

The second line after "NSX Fiesta 2004 in Suzuka" is actually the author's name, Hirofumi Tomiyoshi (Kanagawa prefecture). The translator mangled that.

"black 澤 Genji" is Motoharu Kurosawa, better known as Gan-san from Best Motoring. Translator mangled that too.

Again, I can't figure out why there would be anything from Nissan in the facility, but that's what the Japanese text says. Maybe Nissan makes some of the heavy machinery used in manufacture? Perhaps a native Japanese speaker can clear that up.

------------------------------------

NSX Fiesta 2004 in Suzuka

Wealth good fortune Hiroshi sentence (Kanagawa prefecture)

Opening with Suzuka which is transferred from the Takanezawa factory which continues the production since NSX selling and starts. It is the tour through a factory which is set to the front and back of the fiesta as option, but it is possible to call the eyeball of the fiesta of this year after all, probably will be. I participated in Friday observation.

Me myself, this year like ordinary year it participated without also support of the guest from the foreign country, the club member as an accompanying person. When lunch is taken ahead of time at the restaurant "town of the gathering place among of tastes", also the other club member includes and the many participants assemble successively. Riding separately to 2 buses, it faces to the factory. Almost it is face familiarity. The origin (black 澤 Genji) you were in our groups.

Yellow Type-R is displayed in the entrance of the factory. ASIMO welcomes with example, explains. After this, the chief of the Suzuka factory it began with the Hashikami hole, at the time of the explanation and observation of in house the origin and of people attendance of the patsy of each section there were notes. We have been made important, it is instantaneous you realize that it is. That from June 1st, it was transferred in the order of S2000, NSX and in sight, is. From Takanezawa it seems that 48 craftsmen change. When altogether 8100 work, it is thing.

Because it is the very wide factory, movement of each section utilizes also the bus. NSX keeps being assembled on the new line which is called the TD line. There was explanation, concerning this "TD", but T "the Takanezawa" "Takumi" "Two" respective initial, that "Dream" is meant, hears D, succeeding Takanezawa will, in addition in keeps developing the dream which "Our dreams come true" is included, when it is, the thinking which is strong was felt. It was delightful, don't you think? is, the ぇ.

With example, as for paint process it cannot see, but when the other than of that the Kanai trap the engine assembly which is applied includes even with Takanezawa, can observe the participant was everyone framework framework with thing. 1960, it is the factory where you start the super with Cub production, the building itself it is to be old as expected and it does, but as for this TD line which was newly founded systematically having done, coating of the especially floor still is ピカピカ. "More getting near from the method of relating, it does not care," that being to be recommended, it does, but when something the floor is stepped on, it may pollute being, modesty you walked tend quietly.

It is proper, but even here it has polished in the hand with the file. With welding process there are also times when the spark flies. The goggle was transferred in advance. There is a 冶 tool in here and there.

On the line side "fitting" is flowing. 16 kinds of domestic model the NISSAN 2100 unit are made on 2 these lines, so is. On the TD line it was NISSAN 50. Inside, 1 it probably will put out NSX, is. スゴイ.

The fact that assembly process of the engine can be observed was the valuable experience. Several degrees it visited Takanezawa, but as for the engine because those which were assembled at the other factory were paid. As for the craftsman of assembly charge, when after all that much the person is around, just a little it was unfortunate by the fact that it cannot concentrate. Just the cover り probably will put out the fact that the assembly is possible, is.

The person who the refreshment takes charge the cover り you are. Takanezawa in the future many owners, it probably is to mean that NSX visits here because in similarly, always it can send good state.
-----------------------------------

Ben said:
Also has to do with basic economics and profits. For an ultra low volume variation of an already low volume model like the NSX, unless it's priced ridiculously high, they will lose a lot of money on the overhead costs, such as creating and maintaining a parts list, providing warranty support, possible re-certification costs, stocking parts, promotional materials, dealer training, etc.

There may appear to be a large market when we talk in enthusiast forums, but the unfortunate reality of the situation is that relatively few people will cough up the extra cash for the enthusiast model, and American Honda as a company is unwilling to make these niche models available unless they will sell in high enough volume. I guess only the Integra Type-R met this requirement in AH's eyes. But, even so, the number of ITRs sold pale in comparison to the other Integra models. And, seeing how long it took them to sell all 50 Zanardi NSXs, I don't think they'll consider any other NSX variants anytime soon. I'd be willing to bet that they are seeing how well the RSX sells before the consider bringing over the Type-R model. Then again, perhaps the decision has already been made not to.
I agree with everything you say.

Incidentally, the number of ITRs sold in the States - 3,845 - pales, not only in comparison with the number of Integras sold here (almost 800,000), but even with the number of NSXs sold here (just under 9,000). The first two years the ITR was available, it didn't sell well; many sat in dealer showrooms for months. But when it was discontinued for a year in 1999, there were complaints, which is why they brought it back for two more years, when it sold quite well.

The problems with bringing in the current-generation ITR (as it is still known in Japan), presumably as an RSX Type R, are that unlike the previous generation, (a) it does not offer significantly more power than the RSX, and (b) its power is substantially less than competing models from other brands. I think it would be the subject of the same kind of derision for being underpowered as a new NSX with 350 hp would be (which IMO is why the HSC has not made it here). If I were a marketing executive at American Honda in Torrance, I would tell the folks at corporate headquarters not to bring me an RSX-R to sell unless it had at least 300 hp, and not to bring me an NSX/HSC unless it had at least 450-500 hp. The last thing in the world I would want, for the reasons Ben stated, is another car that sells only a few hundred units a year.

I got one of the Japanese teachers to read both pages. No mention of nissan anywhere!

Its saying that there are 2100 (in the production line) cars made up of 16 domestic models. This is supposedly the output everyday, one of which is an nsx. The td line as an output of 50. The 'nissan' came from the Kanji which the english translator misread. It is actually 'mainichi' (mai=every-nichi=day)

Last edited:
ajnsx said:
Its saying that there are 2100 (in the production line) cars made up of 16 domestic models. This is supposedly the output everyday, one of which is an nsx.
That sounds about right. 2100 cars per day translates to 766,500 per year.

If I'm not mistaken, Honda has two automobile assembly plants in Japan, of which Suzuka is the larger. Honda produced 1,170,900 cars in Japan in 2003 (and 1,259,100 in North America, out of a worldwide production of 2,968,300). So 766,500 for the larger Japanese plant is quite plausible.

ajnsx said:
I got one of the Japanese teachers to read both pages. No mention of nissan anywhere!

Its saying that there are 2100 (in the production line) cars made up of 16 domestic models. This is supposedly the output everyday, one of which is an nsx. The td line as an output of 50. The 'nissan' came from the Kanji which the english translator misread. It is actually 'mainichi' (mai=every-nichi=day)

Interesting. Kanji is based on the Chinese character set, and in the article:

日産2100台作 in Chinese is "Nissan 2100 cars made"

日産50台 in Chinese is "Nissan 50 cars"

where 日産 is widely recognized as Nissan in a few Chinese speaking countries.

Strange that the translator also interpreted it as Nissan.

Back