• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Nsx-r Gt

For about a year I've been saying to my brother Mike "I should make a set of GT40-like side air intakes for my NSX that stick out a bit and enlarge the opening for better ram air at speed. Then Honda comes out with this! Nice - another great idea stolen! I think my design would be a lot better looking then those.

I hate to say it, but I kind of like it - the front and rear are great. I'd rather it was the race car though.

As for the 'NASCAR' comment, in those days it was called 'Stock Car Racing' and in order to run on the track you had to sell them on the street. Now who wouldn't want those days back? If Honda, Toyota, Nissan, etc. had to sell full on race cars in order to run them on the track, many of us would be driving them - one seat, no interior, tow hooks and all.

Todays NASCAR is a joke - you see any rear wheel drive, two door Ford Taurus for sale at the dealer? Each make gets its own handicap to make them as similar as possible to be "competitive". The Speed Channel series adds weight if you win - I guess that'll keep the best car away from the front! Unlike F1 (recent rules not withstanding) where the fastest car should win and if you want to be competitive with the leader, bring a faster car.

F1 and JGTC must pay back in sales for Honda, because between the two of them they're dumping about 300 million on the track. That's a lot of Civics sold.

-Ed
www.nsxbuilder.com

nsxbuilder said:
For about a year I've been saying to my brother Mike "I should make a set of GT40-like side air intakes for my NSX that stick out a bit and enlarge the opening for better ram air at speed. Then Honda comes out with this! Nice - another great idea stolen! I think my design would be a lot better looking then those.www.nsxbuilder.com

How about a set of intakes that expand out at speed just like a Lambo Murcielago? That would be sweet. Man, that's 2 things I want from the Lambo for my NSX. The other is the front suspension that "lifts up" for speed bumps and curbs...

I'd have to agree with Peter - THAT is what an NSX-R GT should look like. That looks AGGRESSIVE and very fast. The top one is just an NSX-R with a few new panels and a periscope stuck on top to increase drag. :rolleyes: It's all cosmetic (in my unqualified opinion)

nsxbuilder said:
As for the 'NASCAR' comment, in those days it was called 'Stock Car Racing' and in order to run on the track you had to sell them on the street. Now who wouldn't want those days back? If Honda, Toyota, Nissan, etc. had to sell full on race cars in order to run them on the track, many of us would be driving them - one seat, no interior, tow hooks and all.

Todays NASCAR is a joke - you see any rear wheel drive, two door Ford Taurus for sale at the dealer? Each make gets its own handicap to make them as similar as possible to be "competitive".
-Ed
www.nsxbuilder.com

Well shucks Ed-
I wasn't comparing JGTC to the current form of NASCAR was I?

Agreed, NASCAR as a racing series has woefully regulated the "stock" out of the stock car, but then it IS a bit safer now isn't it?
To answer your question about who wouldn't want "those days" back? I would think that the Drivers for one would be against it.

The Ford Taurus Stock car is an anomoly, I never understood it, but then I justified it with the same argument- There isn't anything "stock" about a "stock car", the Monte Carlo is FWD too by the way, as is the Grand Prix, and the Intrepid- That is ALL of them, and Fords wasn't first, Chevy was with the Luminas (just an aside on trivia I am sure non-NASCAR fans could care less about)
It does get boring watching the "hill-billy go left" racing on the speedways, but that doesn't mean there isn't strategy, and skill in the genre. The risks and accomplishments deserve some notoriety IMO.
As for viewing- I like the last 20 laps, but that is about it.

F1...
F1 was a bore in the recent past- until recently. Yes, they are amazingly fast, yes they are jam packed with incredible technology... ect, ect...I love what Ferrari was able to do, and I admire the talent of the drivers, but no passing? That sucks. (yes I know the rest of the world disagrees with me, and F1 is the most popular racing ever... yada yada yada) I have liked seeing the other teams step up in the recent 2 seasons. The dominance of Ferrari has become somewhat tedious. I do watch, but mostly just the highlights. The races themselves tend to get just as tedious as a NASCAR event- sure they go left, and right, but passing is the excitement. Watching the set-up, then the execution is always impressive, especially when it is as rare as it has been in F1.

Speed WC- Love it, parity is priority, that keeps the cars passing, and makes for a more exciting season. I too was pissed when the RealTime NSX got weighted, and boost regulated out of competition. That car was REALLY impressive in person, and I am sure you could agree since we both had the chance to see it up close @ NSeXpo 2001. (I bet you don't remember meeting me, but I was there, and I saw your car there too, I also met you @ NSTeXpo 2003, but I think you left your car at home). Every parity system has it's flaws, and exceptions but for the most part WC is pretty exciting.

by your definition- F1 is engineering the better race car to win, and I can see the value in that. I believe parity based series make better race viewing. Equalize the cars, focus on the driving?

Diffrn't strokes eh?

Philip

Last edited:
I like it. Twin turbo and bodykits and they are all OEM which means no problem with the Land Transport Officer and the police. :biggrin:

H-Car,

Yup, I remember you. I love our tight knit little community.

Back to to the NSX-R GT, So do we know if the snorkle scoop is active or for show only? Another of my million dollar ideas was doing two scoops on either side of the hatch instead of one in the middle. I never claimed to be an aero engineer, but doesn't that big fin the the middle of the car upset the air heading for the ever so important rear wing? It makes more sense to me to split the size required to each side of the rear glass and get the same or better effect without the drag/disruption.

Someone probably knows why they did it the way they did - I'd say it probably has to do with a JGTC rule of some kind.

As for the racing issues, no one watches the IROC, where identical cars are raced by the best drivers. Why? Its contrived. There's no secret, late night engineering discovery that squeaks out an extra couple hp, cuts aero drag, accelerates faster or stops quicker. No innovation means no interest by the human race - that's the one trait that got us where we are and I for one say its genetic! F1 is natural!

What happened with the recent F1 'one motor for two race' rule change is the engineers now have made nearly identical power producing motors with a much longer lifespan - unlike the grenades they made last year (ask Honda and Mercedes). What this did was create a whole new class of motor that could easily run without equal in many other classes of racing. When asked why they didn't build them capable of multiple races before, one engineer answered "We didn't have to." If you can run at 19,000rpm and 900hp for 500 miles, how long could you run 12,000 at 650hp wth the lowest center of gravity, lightest, strongest engine obtainable?

Its fun to ponder.

-Ed
www.nsxbuilder.com

Back