• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Succesor to be announced tonight? 7/11/05?

Re: announcement tonight 7/11/05?

Good find! I will be tuning in!

Came across this on another web-site...don't think its the HSC.

NSX Successor to be announced tonight, '05 is final year of current model
Date: July 11, 2005 18:54
Submitted by: Jeff
Source: anonymous
Credibility Rating: 10

We've just received word that a memo was circulated to Acura dealers today regarding an announcement that will be made "this evening" with respect to the future of the NSX. In particular the memo advises that production of the current generation NSX will cease at the end of this year due to strict '06 standards for emissions and equipment in US, Europe and Asia.

The memo says that "it is too early to discuss specific details" (of the next NSX model), but it continues by saying that this "ultra high-performance vehicle will be just as groundbreaking as the 1991 NSX was when introduced fifteen years ago."

This is all we know at this point. If we were to guess, it seems that perhaps the official announcement will be released on http://world.honda.com.

Film at 11.

UPDATE: we've just learned that "this evening" means 7PM Pacific Time.

Here is where the info came from.....http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=378278

Also from Vtec from the owner of the site:

"I received word a few weeks ago that Honda was testing Ridgelines fitted with V8's. The source was new to me though, so I checked with a few other folks in the industry and it turns out that story "checks out" so to speak. But what I learned new today was that while there was testing under way in a ridgeline chassis, it was more likely that the V8 would appear in the RL before the Ridgeline. So perhaps a version of this V8 would also appear in the NSX successor?"

This could be very interesting. The news many of us have been dreaming about for 10 years!!

haha, watch it be v10 600 hp 9k screamer =)
can i get a engine swap? :biggrin:

khappucino said:
hm....

so i wonder if this one has the motor assist from this
http://world.honda.com/news/2005/4050705_b.html

a V8 hybrid =o

I sure hope not. Unless they invent a IMA that doesn't get drained after a few laps on a track, they should stick to a simple V8.

haha it would be funny though if they were like......

ground breaking a 300 hp hybrid v8......

i'd have to cry, although maybe they have coupled nuclear fusion and flux capacitors to power the motor assist :biggrin:

Man, am I ready for this or what?

C'mon Honda!

"ultra high-performance vehicle will be just as groundbreaking as the 1991 NSX was when introduced fifteen years ago."

Oh my goodness...

UPDATE 2: Please note that the nature of the release that's coming at 7PM Pacific time is mostly about the end of the current NSX's run. It's only going to mention that Honda/Acura is currently developing the next generation NSX. There will be no mention of the timetable, but we're pretty sure it's not going to be available next year. We're hoping that there will be more information at the upcoming Tokyo Motor Show. If so, we better quickly figure out how to fund another trip there to cover it!

ANYTIME said:

UPDATE 2: Please note that the nature of the release that's coming at 7PM Pacific time is mostly about the end of the current NSX's run. It's only going to mention that Honda/Acura is currently developing the next generation NSX. There will be no mention of the timetable, but we're pretty sure it's not going to be available next year. We're hoping that there will be more information at the upcoming Tokyo Motor Show. If so, we better quickly figure out how to fund another trip there to cover it!

Damn John, you JUST beat me to it!

Maybe I won't stay up for that news. Sad the current car is going away. I wonder if our values will go up??

Same here...

refresh

refresh

refresh

hondanews.com

This was just posted on hondanews.com. I did not expect them to be specific and they were not, but this is huge news! :D

Acura Developing a Successor to NSX
Current Generation NSX Production to Halt at Year End

TORRANCE, Calif. 07/11/2005 -- To further enhance the division's performance image, Acura is developing a new sports car to succeed the award-winning NSX supercar. Acura also announced that production of the current generation NSX will cease at the end of the year due to the extensive retooling necessary to meet stringent 2006 emissions and equipment regulations for the U.S., Europe and Asia.

"We are committed to having an ultra high-performance vehicle in the Acura lineup in the future," said John Mendel, senior vice president, automobile operations. "It's too early to comment on specifics, but the all-new model will be just as groundbreaking as the 1991 NSX."

As the first-ever supercar from Japan, the NSX was created as a hand-built, exotic, mid-engine sports car that would establish entirely new levels of performance, refinement and drivability. The NSX went on sale in the summer of 1990 and the following year posted record U.S. sales of 1,940 vehicles. Through June of 2005, NSX cumulative sales totaled 8,854 in the U.S. and more than 18,000 worldwide.

During its 15-year run, the NSX has been showered with accolades including, Automobile Magazine's "Automobile of the Year and Design of the Year" awards, Popular Science's "Best of What's New," Road &Track's "Ten Best Cars in the World" list. Motor Trend magazine also named the NSX to its "Top Ten Performance Cars" list and touted it as "the best sports car ever built."

Acura designed the NSX as a technological and performance showcase. Among other innovations, it was the first production car to feature an all-aluminum body, chassis, and suspension and to utilize titanium connecting rods. It featured a transversely mounted dual overhead cam V-6 engine equipped with Acura's breakthrough VTEC (Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control) system and a variable volume induction system.

Over time, the NSX received continuous updates to ensure its competitiveness and popularity with serious sports car enthusiasts. The NSX has also captured multiple championships in the highest levels of sports car and prototype racing.

Additional Acura information and downloadable high-resolution images of the NSX are available at www.acuranews.com.

Holy crap!!!! I'm so excited :eek: :eek: :eek:

For Honda to make a big claim like that!!! I have a V8 feeling!!!!

Damnit...I wanted to be the first to share the news! Well...now we can say we have 1 of 8,854 NSXs sold in the U.S. :D

Sounds promising! And it looks like it may come out next year too.

Hmmm...time to raid the kid's college fund? :tongue:

Wow, this made my week!

Good news! We are all thrilled. Time to start saving up!!

I have a question that I haven't seen addressed yet.

Do you think Acura/Honda will offer anything for their current NSX owners?................For example Ferrari often gives current owners first dibs on new cars, aggresive trade ins or you can't even buy some models without owning other Ferraris.

I think that Acura/Honda owes it's loyal followers something extra for how long we have waited.
I know many of us refused to be tempted by other car models and remained loyal, I'm just looking for some of that loyalty back.

What do you guys think?

First 100,000 $ takes my 96! :tongue: :smile: Well I told you so ,Honda will not give up on the sporting halo even if the current one supposedly lost 800 million :confused: Lets see what "in the future" translates to real-time.I'm still alittle worried that some batteries may be required,and ala "airplane" and MIB When you get in over your head on the street or track will a little Asimo pop up in your lap and take over the controlls?? :tongue:

jjeray said:
I have a question that I haven't seen addressed yet.

Do you think Acura/Honda will offer anything for their current NSX owners?................For example Ferrari often gives current owners first dibs on new cars, aggresive trade ins or you can't even buy some models without owning other Ferraris.

I honestly don't think the demand will be high enough to worry about that. But you never know. If it is "just as groundbreaking as the 1991 NSX", there might be a list.

I am pretty sure it is going to be a V8, but wouldnt a 4.5L 550 HP V10 be awesome! :biggrin:

Oringinally posted by Netviper
I honestly don't think the demand will be high enough to worry about that.

But I hope supply doesn't dictate $10k over sticker. Because if I can get one at Msrp, I will work everyday to save up until the new car comes out.

NetViper said:
I honestly don't think the demand will be high enough to worry about that. But you never know. If it is "just as groundbreaking as the 1991 NSX", there might be a list.

I am pretty sure it is going to be a V8, but wouldnt a 4.5L 550 HP V10 be awesome! :biggrin:

I don't know........ther was over 8,000 NSX sold in the U.S., how many of those are with the original owner......very few. Most people who owned the NSX loved it, but eventually sold it as the car did not continue to advance. I think many former NSXers will come back for this car. If Honda can only kick out 25 or so a week there could be some serious waiting time.

What I'm saying is, if you own a current NSX, you should get first dibs and a reasonble trade in.

Just my 2cents. :redface:

Back