• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

NSX-trade in value

Say I purchase a 1995-T with 70,000 miles for 35,000$. and I trade it in after 1 year, is the dealer going to give me a fair market value, wholesale value or KBB trade-in value.

As you all know, the market value of any NSX is much higher than KBB trade-in value.

I am afraid that after purchasing a NSX and getting rid of it in 1 year, I will lose thousands of dollars on the trade-in for the next car. I probably wont get more than 20,000$ on the trade-in.

I'd advise against purchasing an NSX if your expectation is to sell or trade it in one year. Most cars depreciate. Few are actual "investments". And if in a year you are ready to move on, probably the worst thing to do is "trade it in". Car dealers make more profit on used cars than new ones. They do this by buying your trade-in at wholesale (or less) ands selling at retail. Before buying an NSX, I'd think about the reasons you purchased and make sure you think there will be others out there who might also be interested in purchasing that NSX a year from now. Then sell it to them - not a car dealer.

I'd advise against purchasing an NSX if your expectation is to sell or trade it in one year. Most cars depreciate. Few are actual "investments". And if in a year you are ready to move on, probably the worst thing to do is "trade it in". Car dealers make more profit on used cars than new ones. They do this by buying your trade-in at wholesale (or less) ands selling at retail. Before buying an NSX, I'd think about the reasons you purchased and make sure you think there will be others out there who might also be interested in purchasing that NSX a year from now. Then sell it to them - not a car dealer.
that really blows. i thought the dealer would at least give me whole sale auction value for the NSX.

As you all know, the market value of any NSX is much higher than KBB trade-in value.

I am afraid that after purchasing a NSX and getting rid of it in 1 year, I will lose thousands of dollars on the trade-in for the next car. I probably wont get more than 20,000$ on the trade-in.

The answer is simple and right there in what you wrote: don't trade it in to a dealership and lose thousands for nothing. Sell it privately (which you should do with just about any car) and with a car like the NSX you will take much much less of a loss when you have to get rid of it.

Say I purchase a 1995-T with 70,000 miles for 35,000$. and I trade it in after 1 year, is the dealer going to give me a fair market value, wholesale value or KBB trade-in value.

If you want to trade it in to a dealer, of course the dealer wants to make profit from the car you trade in and also the car you purchase from them. They will make profits both ends. You need to negotiate with them. The best way is to sell it privately.

You need to negotiate with them.

Years ago I saw an NSX I wanted (at an upscale dealership (of combined makes) and had a 300ZX-TT to trade. I let the dealer drive my car and he came back from the drive and said he'd give me $18,000 towards the purchase of the NSX (which was extremely geanerous).

We spent the next hour negotiating the price of the NSX. When I got the NSX to the right $, I then subtracted the $18k and started to write the check.

He said NO, the $18k was based on the list price for the NSX and I said NO, it was based on a test drive of my car...I walked!

Years ago I saw an NSX I wanted (at an upscale dealership (of combined makes) and had a 300ZX-TT to trade. I let the dealer drive my car and he came back from the drive and said he'd give me $18,000 towards the purchase of the NSX (which was extremely geanerous).

We spent the next hour negotiating the price of the NSX. When I got the NSX to the right $, I then subtracted the $18k and started to write the check.

He said NO, the $18k was based on the list price for the NSX and I said NO, it was based on a test drive of my car...I walked!

i really hate some dealers to rip people off.

i visited one of the honda dealers to check out a civic SI sedan few weeks ago. the Sales Manager told me that their Civic SI sedan will be above MSRP by $4000-5000. they all saw me to drive my nsx there and thought i would be the one who would be easily ripped off. wouldn't waste time with them, walked away immediately after his absolutely BS.

I think one thing to consider is that trade-in will save you the hassle of selling it yourself, and you will get tax deduction for the value of the trade in (atleast for New York). Private sell is of course still more cost effective.

I know someone traded in a 2000 for 40K and the dealer is asking $49.9k for it now. The tax saving on his new ride was 3k+, so he's really getting 43K in value for the trade in.

Wow, 18K from a dealer on a Z32 TT? Was it a 96? I sold my 300zx tt last year for $17K private party.

You might as well flush $10K down the toilet. Anyone who trades in an NSX should have their head examined.:biggrin:

I'm curious as to some real world trade in numbers also.

Honestly I am one of those that would probably take the hit to trade it in and not have to mess with the nitpicking, bs, etc. that you will have to go through.

Sometimes you can't put a price on the money lost with trading a vehicle in if your time is limited and your patience for the BS that goes on with selling a car is short :-)

Wow, it just seems to me that if you take your time and find a car that has well documented maintenence history with few to no mods, then you can drive it for a couple of years and afterwards sell it yourself at an reasonable price and not take a hit from paying retail and giving it back for wholesale.

For those that can afford to throw money away, my hats off to ya...:smile:

I'm considering very strongly getting a newer model right now. I have debated on whether to trade mine in or try and sell it on the open market. After briefly talking with the salesman via email and telling him what I wanted for trade in value, I was given the impression that it would be more beneficial to sell it myself as they were probably looking at giving me ~$5-6k less than what I was wanting.
So, provided the car checks out alright via an independent review, I'll be getting mine back to OEM as much as possible and parting out the rest of it.
That is the catch 22 with these cars is the KBB isn't an accurate picture of the correct worth of them.:frown:
Therefore, uninformed shoppers might rely on that as a basis to go on and be blindsided when they start seeing the market prices for them.

Greetings

A dealer will usually only give you the KBB trade in value if you are paying KBB list. I think it sucks, but they have to make money to stay in business.

Cheers,
Martin

All cars are just cars to the dealer. They could care less about the history/performance/rarity of the NSX. It's a business without emotion and so don't expect them to raise the value because it's your dream car.

If you buy the car with the intent of only driving it for a year, you'll take whatever hit there is during that time. The economy isn't helping car sales and the NSX market is fairly limited. If you read through this section pretty thoroughly, you'll see that prices have gotten pretty soft in the last six months and I don't see anything on the horizon that's going to reverse that trend. But, could be worse, this could be the Cadillac Escalade forum :D

Wow, 18K from a dealer on a Z32 TT? Was it a 96? I sold my 300zx tt last year for $17K private party.

This is a '90 Stillen Stage III and the year was 1994 or 95. The Dealer was in Jax, Fl. and it was the same one I bought the ZX from.

Anyway, the $18k was MORE than I would have expected (and per the story) was based on paying "asking" price on an (inflated) NSX price.

The only advantage of trading a car in to the dealership is the ability to walk away from the car with no worries or hassles. That convenience will cost you several thousand dollars for sure.
Dealerships have significant overhead to cover every month. They can not afford to give you what you think your car is worth, (which is typically not reality based anyway) and then sell you the car you want at the price you are willing to pay.
So, unless you are just financially in a huge bind, sell your car yourself and minimize the hit you are likely going to take regardless of how good a deal you got when you bought it.

Where is "The Kid"? He can tell you what is the trade-in price on the NSX.

Back