• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX type R

Since when did this thread turn into a Mazda panel?
Anyways, Acura needs to sell a Type-R in the USA to complete with the Nissan GT-R Black Edition. If it is built in the USA then it should not be that difficult to add the Type-R components. But then again, we do not have the new Civic Type-R hatchback in the USA (Amercians love their Honda Civic SI Sedans).

Well, let's think about this:

What normally kills a rotary?

Heat in the form of detonation - cracking the apex seals or overheating and the seals are compromised.

Most of the folks that I talked to about why their engine grenaded have either skipped on the routine maintenance or didn't upgrade to better fluids.

In the case of my brother when he bought the RX8 with 85k miles he immediately started to use Pennzoil Ultra in the engine, Amsoil Coolant, etc.

There hasn't been a SINGLE problem with the car. And he's been driving it in Gilroy summer heat to visit his GF.

Since he is normally aspirated he doesn't need to worry about detonation.

Just the fact that there is a well known Achilles heel is telling enough. The design is still basically a beta and needs serious engineering work before it "gets there". I'm glad it exists though... But it definitely needs turbos to complement its power band even though its hp/L is high. Or Mazda should've stepped up and did a 3 rotor and left the dumbass rear doors out on the RX8. Ok enough about the rotary! There's a different thread for that!

I think Honda can get the power output they want/need with out a turbo. It is neat that they will have a type R version. We haven't seen a type r since the integra.

Hey all,
I have read a couple Japanese magazines that are saying the exterior of the car will be decided in this 2013 tokyo auto show and the NSX will debut in 2014 fall. Also the price they are saying 12000000 to 15000000 yen..
These are my friend translation but he said that it comes from people in Honda

If this car turns out to be hybrid with turbo, I will be a bit disappointed. Overly complex? Still over a year away though, lots can change.

McLaren believes they can sell a hybrid with turbo (v8 - total package over 900hp) for well over $1M. I'm excited to see what Honda can do here at a much lower price point and I assume with much higher reliability / much lower maintenance.

Back