• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX VS Z06

Originally posted by Ickabon:
flame on,

which car is better for the $$ which is more powerfull , more performance ect...

Please no flames from the women NSX owners. I'm going to answer this question using the appropriate language I think fitting for this kind of question.

This is like asking me which do I like better: blondes, brunettes or redheads(trust me I like them all and it just depends on the night). Blondes turn more heads (sorry girls - don't ask me why I think it's in the male DNA). Which one offers a better ride? It depends on how you like drive. Which one is better for the dollar? Do we really answer this question in public?

From my perspective this is a question being ask just to stir up trouble on the site. The bottom line is whatever fits your needs and likes best is the right choice for you. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

With my body style I fit into an NSX like a glove. I don't in a vette. It doesn't matter how much power it has or doesn't have. I'm tall in the torso with long arms and have average length legs. In a vette by the time I get the seat to wear I can use the pedals the steering wheel is way to close for my arms. I have friends with vettes and they really like them.

To answer your specific questions: 1) No answer is correct as the answer is only relevant to who asking the question. How many vettes are on the road compared to NSXs? When I show up almost anywhere there' never another NSX but always many vettes. What's is worth to own a hand made rare car?2) Power - One measure of performance - read the datasheets 3) Performance - relevant to what? track racing, road tour, drag racing, daily driver

If you want to learn about NSX this is a good place. If you want to learn about the Z06 visit http://www.c5-corvette.com/. It's a great site. If you want to compare the 2 cars then may I suggest you create a of list of items that are important to you and go research them.

[This message has been edited by hejo (edited 06 January 2001).]

[This message has been edited by hejo (edited 06 January 2001).]

looks - personal preference
acceleration - Z06
bang for the buck - Z06
braking - toss-up
handling - NSX
reliability - NSX
exclusivity - NSX
"wow" factor - NSX

Does that help?

Most NSX owners have no problem buying a Z06 and obviously chose not to. The NSX driving enjoyment is awesome. Just read Road & Track, it was more enjoyable to drive than a Viper GTS ACR & Vette & Lotus V8 turbo.

The joy of driving the NSX on the road course is awesome. Who cares about gang for the buck, everyone always mention that NSX only has 290 hp and cost $88K, look at Modena 360, it cost $160K for 400 hp. Who cares, but the car you like. If one thinks the Z06 is bad ass and better than NSX, go buy that.

im shocked, i thought i would be met with persons that think asking if one car has pros over a certain one was going to be treated like a personaly Attack. I know this one guy , who has been trying to sell me on the idea of getting a NSX for about 3 months now, i honestly dont like the way the look. The sketches of the newer ones give me a hard on.. as does the c6 vette. I am a vette fan. and plan to be purchasing one in a few months. I came to this after watching pulp fiction and seing the WOLFS nsx.. it got me posting posters up... but then noticed a vette, and also , ive liked diffrent year vettes my whole life, just didnt know what i was looking at.

you guys are cool in my book. id like to know if any of you have ever raced c5's and how was the outcome?

you guys are cool in my book. id like to know if any of you have ever raced c5's and how was the outcome?

Stock vs. stock, C5 smokes NSX straight line. Most people here don't drag race, check out this site: http://www.emraracing.org/Emrarsul.htm
The Corvette ZR1 won 4-5 time trials, the NSX showed up for one event and beat it by 4 seconds. LimeRock is a famous track, so check with the Corvette forum and see what the Z06 run at LimeRock. That would be a good comparison of handling, breaking, etc. I would love to know what Z06 run at Limerock.

If bang for buck is the concern, buy an Integra GSR. The c5 is an impressive car on paper and indeed a fun ride. But I always wonder each weekend when I open the paper, if it is so great, why is there more vette owner turnover than a .com's employee roster? I have never seen so many 1 to 2 year old cars put up for sale on a regular basis. I don't even have to bring up all the problems that arise with these cars, the number of people itching to get them off their hands speaks volumes.
THe driving experience of an NSX needs no explanation. In addition, the intangible benefit of rarity is unmeasureable. Here are some guesstimates of my regular driving experience in the D.C area. I see about 50 911's (not the TT)for every NSX I see (maybe more than 50). FOr every 911, I see about 4-5 vettes. Hmmmmmm.......let me think, yeah I'll pay extra for that! I actually see more Ferraris than NSXs..not bad. Aesthetics are defiantely personal preference, but why is it that every vette owner stares down my car while I don't even waste a second look at theirs? Not trashing the vette, always liked it, but for me it's like the difference between the varisty ace pitcher and the jv fireballer that has no control....is he the better pitcher cause he can throw harder? A lot of guys can throw hard...but how long does that arm last?? Perhaps too many analogies, but I am just pleased to drive my car.

Originally posted by Khuang:

Stock vs. stock, C5 smokes NSX straight line.
[/B]

Not really. Perhaps pre '97 this was the case but not now. See
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Media/magazines/cd9808.htm

for the Car & Driver 0-150-0 tests. The NSX 'smoked' the C5 and the 911. It was beaten only by the Viper. The numbers that I have seen in mags seem to have the Z06 about even with the NSX as far as acceleration goes. In other words, the C5 needs 100 more horsepower than the NSX to achieve the same results. So much for the 'not enough horsepower' thing.

Originally posted by BobsYT:
Not really. Perhaps pre '97 this was the case but not now. See
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Media/magazines/cd9808.htm

for the Car & Driver 0-150-0 tests. The NSX 'smoked' the C5 and the 911. It was beaten only by the Viper. The numbers that I have seen in mags seem to have the Z06 about even with the NSX as far as acceleration goes. In other words, the C5 needs 100 more horsepower than the NSX to achieve the same results. So much for the 'not enough horsepower' thing.

Having a NSX and raced C5 several times, I know the C5 is faster. May be there are C5 that run like crap, but on average it will beat a new NSX. The NSX in that test was the fastest NSX ever. If I was betting money NSX vs. Z06 straight line, I put all my money on the Z06, my doubt about that and it would be a safer bet than the stock market. A stock 3.2 NSX dynoed around 260 rwhp and I make 260 rwhp @ 5500 rpm with a blower and I have a hard time with C5s. I believe the C5 runs around 110 mph in the 1/4 mi and I doubt any NSX owner ran 110 mph stock. Sure, the NSX could win in a drag race by better launch, reaction time etc. Bottom line is if straight line speed is top priority for me, why mess with Z06, I would go straight to the Viper and I would take the money left over and buy me a HDTV.

Well what is a better car is all personal preference. As numbers don't account for taste and feel. I personally would take a new NSX as I do not like the hard top vettes, and the NSX feels more refined to my liking. But my thoughts are only that and let us go with the numbers. My figures are taken from MotorTrend 7/99 and Road & Track August 2000. Unfortunately, I don't think these numbers give the entire picture, you shoudl know that it seems the NSX and C5 were tested under extremely good conditions that showed some very impressive numbers and the Z06 numbers are not nearly as good as I've seen them (I think they are manufactuerers data?) for instance no stock C5 should be better than a lighter Z06 with bigger tires 116 vs. 123, so these number don't tell the entire truth in fact they make this subject even more unclear:

NSX C5 Z06
0-60 4.7 4.8 4.6
0-100 11.1 11.7 10.5
0-1mile 34.1 33.7 n/a
1/4 mile 13.1 13.3 13.0
I think it's clear the Z06 is the acceleration king, I've seen low 12's on stock Z06's which no NSX will touch, unless heavily modified.

60-0 116 116 123
80-0 212
Braking seems equal but I'd be curious if the Z06 was tested under the same conditions?

top speed 163 173 171
Corvette wins this one, the Z06 will be slower than the C5 due to gearing I think.

skidpad 0.99 0.90 1.00
Z06 wins marginally, a toss up really
slalom 70.5 68.1 67.1
woohoo decision NSX, Impressive, but I think I have seen a recent test of a Z06 in the 70's too, either case excellent handling cars.

weight 3015 3218 3115
NSX, but it needs to be with it's much lower power.

It would have been great to see track times for the both cars in the same conditions as it is all about how the car puts the numbers together at the track. I feel the Z06 would win as I have very recent test of (Z06, NSX (not Zanardi), S2000, Camaro SS, F360 Modena, F550 Maranello, Porshe 911TT, Porshe Boxster, S600)and the vette was 2nd overall just fractionally slower than the F360. These two cars times were much better than the rest of the field and the NSX was pretty far behind, mind you it was a NSX-T which we all know is heavier and slower.
I really wonder how a 91 with 6speed converstion, 4:55's, light weight flywheel, headers, exhaust, 200lbs of weight savings, track bars, coil overs, bigger tires and brakes,not to mention twin turbo kit would do? Keep checking the forum this year and I'll let you know, as I'm half way there.

Originally posted by Edo:
Khuang you are only making 260rwhp with a blower??? There is something wrong with your car. A stock 3.0L should make near 245 or so.

260 rwhp @5500 rpm and peak at 321 rwhp @ 8,000 rpm. Sorry for the confusion. BTW, I dynoed exactly 245 rwhp stock.

I really wonder how a 91 with 6speed converstion, 4:55's, light weight flywheel, headers, exhaust, 200lbs of weight savings, track bars, coil overs, bigger tires and brakes,not to mention twin turbo kit would do? Keep checking the forum this year and I'll let you know, as I'm half way there.[/B][/QUOTE]

Checkout the link I posted above, the NSX was king @ LimeRock and it has all the mods you mentioned above, six speed, 4.55 R&P, 150 lb weight saving, Brembo brakes, Tien Coil over, Comptech SC, sway bars, header, exhaust and a great driver.

IMHO, the NSX is the ONLY way to fly. Not to bash the Corvette though, I like the Corvette. My dad owns a C5, and I ride with him alot. But it is not for me.

Firstly there are way too many of them on the road. They look good, but the nose is too long for my likes (for driving). They loose their value MAJORLY (as does any car, but the NSX holds it's value VERY well) even after the very first year. The NSX has way more wow value to me, and if others dont think so, pffft on them!
wink.gif
The Corvette C5 does have more storage room though.

Anyways, that is my OPINION!
smile.gif

Originally posted by Jackal:
They loose their value MAJORLY (as does any car, but the NSX holds it's value VERY well) even after the very first year.

I realize that Vettes are pretty cheap in the states, but just f.y.i. in Canada a new vette is around 65-70g's and a used 97 in good condition can get over 50. That's pretty good resale for a 97 considering the msrp was originally 47g's. Mind you dealers were getting much more than that, as in western Canada a dealer may only get a few a year, before I purchased my NSX I looked at the C5 and was told 1-2 years waiting list. They are fairly rare up here as well, but I think finally the last year or so we are getting much more as you can now find them in stock once in a while. You American guys should find yourself lucky with cars as they are much cheaper and more available to you. For instance it took me over a year to find a NSX without any crash history, every car i found was a rebuild and that was only 3 of them. To top it off a clean car is expensive, I think Gruppe M's NSX was purchased for 55g's and it's a 92! Mind you there is a exchange rate to take into consideration but that doesn't tell the entire truth as a the average American gets paid more and taxed MUCH less, not to mention all items cost less too. Anyway I'm babbling so I better go.

It's funny this topic came up. I have been researching 3 cars for my next adventure. I currently own a 90-911C4, and it's a cherry.
However, this is my 8th Porsche and I think it may be time for a change So I am selling it.

For the last 2 months, I have been looking at 3 cars to replace it. A Porsche 95-993, cost around 45,000.00 for a clean one, a 97 NSX, around 55,000.00 for a clean one and a 2000 Corvette Hart Top with 3000 miles for around 35,000.00

While I have found myself pulling away from another Porsche, I find my interests have come down to the NSX or Corvette.
Here lies the delima. Do I spend 55, for the NSX plus another 2500.00 for an extended warranty for peace of mind and then consider another 6 grand in modifications, or do I buy a 2000 vette for 22,000.00 less that has a 3 year warranty.

Both are very nice cars to drive. Let's face it, either goes fast enough for everyday use and will get you tickets or killed without problem. And I really don't think other than flat out racing will any of the small differences other than flat out forward speed, (the vette) be noticed by any of us unless we were on a road course driving like the devel was on on butts.

So the question I have been faced with, and what a bitch it's been, is which one do I get.

Do I spend 57,500 and drive something that I don't see 5 or 6 a day of, being the vette. or do I drive a vette, wave at the 5 or 6 a day I do see and only spend 35.

I don't know myself yet. Hell, I see less Porsches on a dialy basis than I do vettes.

I do have a problem warming up to the idea of driving a vette for the fact that they are too many out there for my liking. But it's hard to resist the adage, what's the best bang for your buck spent. Based on how much your spending and then comparing the real outcome of what you ended up with.

When someone figures it out, please let me know so I can stop screwing around and buy my next car. Because I am about to give up and buy a soccer mom SUV.

Naaa, never happen.

Hey Cozman,

I happen to be a 5x Porsche owner myself, and now I happen to be looking for a bargain 90/91 C4 to gut as a track car. Although yours sounds too "cherry" to be a bargain...
smile.gif

I did trade my last car, a plain 996, for a Y2K new NSX. Have you had a chance to drive an NSX yet? If so you may find that it is a different experience altoghether.

Porsches are incredible, but at this stage I would not trade my NSX for a P-car. Corvettes are nice, but I would not trade a P-car for a vette. You do the math.

[This message has been edited by rquintero (edited 16 January 2001).]

A Corvette does not drive like an NSX. They are two totally different experiences. Try driving each of them and then make your decision.

I appreciate your response rquintero.

My C4 underwent complete motor and gearbox rebuild 2000 miles ago. Amoung other replaced parts, hoses, etc. Interior is perfect and the body is a straight as can be. It's a very clean car considering it's 11 years old. Very strong and also fast.

I have had the chance to drive 2 NSX's. One was stock from at a dealer. It was a 97. The other belongs to Mark Basch of Basch Acura Service in Scottsdale, AZ. It's a 93 I think. It's a highly modified car complete with super charger. It's a mightly nice car. Super charging it alone cost an arm and a leg. But after driving one that has been done, it would be a must asap if I did get one. That's another 7500 to 10K.

I agree with what your saying. I have not warmed up to buying a vette yet completely. There's something in my mind that keeps telling me I would be taking a step backwards. Boy would I get flamed by corvette owners. But there is more to just driving a car. There is a Mystique to it. Otherwise, we would all be driving Fords.

After so many Porsches, I have come to love quality and percision. Something we all know is not found in American cars, well, not by past standards anyway. It would be impossible to accept less now.

And you are correct, my current car is 11 years old and worth almost as much as that 2000 hardtop vette. Whcih is another thing about a vette that I don't like. And that's how they depreciate compared to Porsche and NSX.

I guess what it really comes down to is money. Is the difference really worth the difference in the cars.

My first choice would be a 97 NSX. Nothing older because of the changes that took place in 97. But like I said, that's 58 grand with the extended warranty. 23 more than a new vette.....

Most likely going to hang on to the Porsche for now. It's not like it's a pig to drive. :) The answer will come to me when the time is right.

Thanks for your feed back though, it's appreciated.

Originally posted by Cozman:
My first choice would be a 97 NSX. Nothing older because of the changes that took place in 97. But like I said, that's 58 grand with the extended warranty. 23 more than a new vette.....

I wouldn't be too concerned about the warranty, especially on a '97 or newer. These are, after all, Honda's.

In my mind, after driving both, no contest between C5 or NSX. I drove all, including Lotus and 996, and chose NSX. I would buy the NSX over the Z-06 just based on the mystique factor you mention.

You may have a 3rd option based on your comments regarding $$ and driving Bausch's supercharged NSX. You could buy a '91-'93 and then heavily modify and end up with a true supercar for around the same price. Supercharger, Intake / Exhaust, Suspension, Brembo's, Wheels / Tires, Clutch, short gears, 6 spd tranny, etc....

I have no regrets about purchasing a '98, but if I had to do it over again I would at least CONSIDER this.

[This message has been edited by justin hall (edited 16 January 2001).]

Thanks Justin.
That's an interesting thought.

You may have a 3rd option based on your comments regarding $$ and driving Bausch's supercharged NSX. You could buy a '91-'93 and then heavily modify and end up with a true supercar for around the same price. Supercharger, Intake / Exhaust, Suspension, Brembo's, Wheels / Tires, Clutch, short gears, 6 spd tranny, etc....

I have no regrets about purchasing a '98, but if I had to do it over again I would at least CONSIDER this.

[This message has been edited by justin hall (edited 16 January 2001).][/B][/QUOTE]

Thinking about his though. Buying a 91 ,92 or 93 and doing mods to it would concern me considering the car is getting older and there would be no and couldn't get a warranty. be a lot money to put into a car to have motor problems down the road and no where to go but into your checking account. I would worry less with a 97....

Originally posted by justin hall:
I wouldn't be too concerned about the warranty, especially on a '97 or newer. These are, after all, Honda's.

Back