• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX won't REV up!

So I started my NSX yesterday and it starts fine like normal. Well when I go to give it gas it doesn't do anything. I push the pedal in and it just continues to idle. So I went and checked the throttle cable in the engine bay. It is still moving when I push on the gas pedal. I also took off the intake and looked inside of the throttle body. The butterfly valve in there is moving back and forth still when I push on the gas pedal. I don't know what else to check for.

Also the cars clutch is done for. Could it have something to do with that.

Here is some specs on the car.
1991 5 speed

Mods
Headers
No Cat
Exhaust
MDX injectors and Prospeed chip upgrade

-Thanks

If the throttle cable is broken, what options are there? This sounds pretty serious.

If you pull on the throttle cable or push the linkage to open the butterfly, it should rev or die.
I'd double check.

Sounds like a broke throttle cable (which are discounted from Honda) engine idling on IAC valve.

If you pull on the throttle cable or push the linkage to open the butterfly, it should rev or die.
I'd double check.

Sounds like a broke throttle cable (which are discounted from Honda) engine idling on IAC valve.

I believe this should read "discontinued" and not discounted, as they don't produce the throttle cables any more. If the cable is indeed broken, I am unsure what the options are?? Maybe someone with more experience with throttle cables can chime in.

91 NSX Red/Black
09 VW Jetta TDI White

I believe this should read "discontinued" and not discounted, as they don't produce the throttle cables any more. If the cable is indeed broken, I am unsure what the options are?? Maybe someone with more experience with throttle cables can chime in.

91 NSX Red/Black
09 VW Jetta TDI White
Ah nice catch on the typo,

Anyway Honda doesn't make them anymore, I believe there was a group buy a year ago for replacements.
Next time I have a separate or broken throttle cable in the shop I will have them reproduced.

For now a temporary fix could possibly be getting a universal motorcycle throttle cable and a pair of those bolt on ends pieces (i don't know if you could order them at the required length though)
Going to be a work removing the cable from the existing line and then cutting the steel wire to length pulling it trough the car.

Also those end connections never seem to be that strong and break or unravel after a while.

My car has recently had same problem. Car has sat for couple years so we replaced fuel pump and fuel filter and still only idled. We have determined it was that the gas went bad. Drained all fuel and added high octane. Didn't respond at first but let car idle foe 15 minutes to burn off and "bad" fuel remaining in the lines and the problem went away.

Back