• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSXPO Colorado/Mountains 2012 Bid???

I read Craig's post on the current 2011 NSXPO bid that Will, Craig, and Bruce were thinking of a possible bid on hosting the 2012 NSXPO here in Colorado. I thought about this too and would think it would be a great idea to put in a bid for 2012. I tried to make the trip to Vegas this year but could not swing it leaving 3 months in a row for a trip:mad: I would definitely help in gettting things and ideas together for a bid in 2012.

I have attended a few "Vettes over the Rockies" in Breckenridge/Dillon/Frisco that host over 500 Corvettes and thought it would be a nice place to host an event.http://www.vetteweb.com/events/301_29th_annual_vettes_rockies/index.html HPR would be a decent place for a track day.

What are your thoughts?......---Aaron

Last edited:
How about Steamboat Springs? We have a few car shows here every year. The city closes down main street every year for the Mustang Roundup. A car, plane show and used to host a Rally America event and vintage car race.
I am new to the NSX scene and would be glad to help look into hosting it and organizing a show in Steamboat

I read Craig's post on the current 2011 NSXPO bid that Will, Craig, and Bruce were thinking of a possible bid on hosting the 2012 NSXPO here in Colorado. I thought about this too and would think it would be a great idea to put in a bid for 2012. I tried to make the trip to Vegas this year but could not swing it leaving 3 months in a row for a trip:mad: I would definitely help in gettting things and ideas together for a bid in 2012.

I have attended a few "Vettes over the Rockies" in Breckenridge/Dillon/Frisco that host over 500 Corvettes and thought it would be a nice place to host an event.http://www.vetteweb.com/events/301_29th_annual_vettes_rockies/index.html HPR would be a decent place for a track day.

What are your thoughts?......---Aaron

I think we should try and do this, but I think we're short on time to get one done for 2012. Also they generally try to move it to different geographical areas from year to year to even out the distance for people in various parts of the country. Many at this years event expected 2012 to be somewhere along the east coast. 2013 would be a natural shift to come back our way.

How about Steamboat Springs? We have a few car shows here every year. The city closes down main street every year for the Mustang Roundup. A car, plane show and used to host a Rally America event and vintage car race.
I am new to the NSX scene and would be glad to help look into hosting it and organizing a show in Steamboat

One of the central requirements to hosting an NSXPO is having a track day, which pretty much forces us to stay within an hour or so of a major track.

I just moved here from NYC and would be willing to help. HPR is about 45 min from Denver and I am sure there is somewhere in the city that could host the convention. Perhaps a mountain run one day and a track day at HPR another day? Might be fun.

I'd love to help out any way I can. Me and a friend hosted NALM (National Acura Legend Meet) this year in Salt Lake City. I'm originally from Denver and would love to attend an event there.

I'd be happy to give any advice I could to anyone who's looking to bid for a Denver NSXPO.

Last edited:
One of the central requirements to hosting an NSXPO is having a track day, which pretty much forces us to stay within an hour or so of a major track.

Not necessarily. For NSXPO'07, the main event ended and a lot of guys got separate hotel reservations near the race track which was about 1.25 hrs away. I do agree that having a track nearby makes it easier, but your planning could involve moving the remaining group once NSXPO ends and the HPDE portion begins. However, if the track is 4 hours away, you might have mutiny on your hands!

As for myself, I would be more interested in renting a snowboard while out there. I'm jealous of where you guys live!:biggrin:

I totally missed this thread. About a month ago I asked the NSXCA board for copies of NSXPO proposals that were accepted (one of their first suggested items) and haven't heard back. I'll follow up. It is my thought that we should get together some evening for dinner to talk about this, look over the proposals, see what everyone is willing to commit, etc.

In the mean time (without those submission examples or getting together) everyone should at least review the first post in this thread to see what they're looking for.

Might also be good for us all to think of different possible host hotels, places for meals, activities, etc...and bring such info to any gathering we'd have to make our discussions more productive.

How about Steamboat Springs?

I love Steamboat and it would be hard to beat the drives there. The question is how much does it cost to fly to SBS instead of DEN (DIA) and would a 4-hour drive to track Byers) be a showstopper. I know HPR doesn't have a skidpad (or large clubhouse) and won't within the next 5 years so there is no real draw there for non-track event people (like the lunch and autocross at SMMR this year)...so like 2007 the HPDE folks could just move to a closer hotel for the last two days.

A mountain area closer to Denver (Summit/Vail) might be more-doable. However, that area and Steamboat might necessitate us moving the date earlier than I think is normal for NSXPO to ensure the roads don't have snow or residual sand from a recent snow.

Good things to discuss.

I think we should try and do this, but I think we're short on time to get one done for 2012. Also they generally try to move it to different geographical areas from year to year to even out the distance for people in various parts of the country. Many at this years event expected 2012 to be somewhere along the east coast. 2013 would be a natural shift to come back our way.

Do you mean 2011 and 2012 (not 2012 and 2013)?

I think we should set a date for a lunch or dinner to discuss and see who is all on board. I think SBS may be a little to far and hard to get to for some members (flying in).

Compared with flying into DEN, SBS would add about $220-250 (all taxes/fees included price for round trip from/to DEN). That is cheaper than renting a car...which maybe could be avoided in Steamboat. Town is so small getting to hotel from airport would be quick easy without rental and solo flyers could bum rides with solo drivers. Prices could start to add up for couples (extra flight AND rental).

That said, until today I'd always assumed the front range...and there are lots of good reasons that works well.

The NSXCA has officially announced solicitation of bids for NSXPO 2012:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1409745

Deadline for submission is May 31st, which by my count gives us 10 weeks to put together a proposal.

If you would like to be part of the team to create this proposal and then make it happen if we're selected, please PM or email me with your email address. I've setup an online collaboration space and mailing list for this...and I need your email address to add you to those. You will need a Google account for the collaboration space...if you don't already have a Google account you can create one here (you can use your existing email address...you don't have to have a gmail address).

For your review I've uploaded to that space 6 past proposals that ended up being selected and turned into successful NSXPOs.

Because of his project management background I asked Will if he would be willing to lead our effort (at least until we get together and start working out details of the event and how we might organize ourselves) and he said yes.

Last edited:
good luck with your bid....btw what track are you proposing?

good luck with your bid....btw what track are you proposing?

HPR seems most-likely to me...nice, new, home track of the NSXCA's "track event lead instructor"...but it will be up to more than just me. Second Creek (HPDE track for the first NSXPO) has been gone for several years and there are a few better tracks than it (HPR, PPIR, PMI).

Last edited:
I think HPR is a fantastic option. It is a brand new circuit owned and controlled by car clubs. The track itself is technical and challenging, but also safe. Plenty of big elevation changes. Kinda like the Glen except no walls to hit! :D Also, the circuit is easy to access (40 min east of Denver), so there is a convenience factor as well.

BTW Craig, I also posted on the group board but I am willing to help in any way needed.

Last edited:
We're having our first planning meeting at Buffalo Wild Wings here next Saturday (3-26) at 2pm.

If anyone that isn't on our email list would like to be a part of this, feel free to join us.

Will

I expect to be there. A million years ago I was very active in putting Nitty Gritty Dirt Band concerts together as benefits for the Aspen Community School. It is a lot of work, but a lot of fun.

Mark

Back