• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Number of Seals (Gaskets) for Coils Cover

Just two

13SL00_019_1.gif

#9 = 12511-PR7-A00
#11 = 12521-PR7-A00

Last edited:
Thank you very much A.S. Motorsport!!

But, I ran into water leak problem from taking my NSX to brush free car wash machine if there is one gasket per cover? Now, one or all three coils (RR) might be damaged and I'm seeking for help to see anyone can provide instruction of how to check with coil is malfunctioned?

I have asked the Japan NSX modifying shop and their reply are the same the only one gasket per cover is required?

I had this water leak problem 10 years ago because I was stupid enough to remove all the old gaskets because they came loose when replacing new spark plugs. I kind of remember there are two gaskets on each cover?! Not 100% sure because this is 10 years ago.

You do not need two gaskets. Only one for the part of the plate that is closest to the top of the engine.

I just replaced all of my plugs and coilpacks this weekend all of the RR one's had water in them. It is obviously due to washing the car/engine over the past few years. I'm going to put a bead of clear silicone between the valve cover and plate this week to avoid water leakage.

You do not need two gaskets. Only one for the part of the plate that is closest to the top of the engine.

I just replaced all of my plugs and coilpacks this weekend all of the RR one's had water in them. It is obviously due to washing the car/engine over the past few years. I'm going to put a bead of clear silicone between the valve cover and plate this week to avoid water leakage.

Thank you very much for the advise!!

Two key items:
1. Make sure the cover is installed with the gasket at the top (intake side), otherwise the cover acts as a scoop instead of a cover. :eek:
2. Use some silicone grease on the seal of the base of the coil packs. That's key to keeping water from leaking down into the spark plug wells.

Some people have added gaskets on the side. That can't hurt. But, don't add one to the bottom edge. That will trap moisture instead of allowing it to drain or evaporate out.

I drive my NSX in all kinds of weather, and occasionally even pour soapy water over the engine (covering the electronics with plastic bags) to clean it. I've not had a water problem with the plugs & coil packs in 12 years, 67kmi.

Two key items:
1. Make sure the cover is installed with the gasket at the top (intake side), otherwise the cover acts as a scoop instead of a cover. :eek:
2. Use some silicone grease on the seal of the base of the coil packs. That's key to keeping water from leaking down into the spark plug wells.

Some people have added gaskets on the side. That can't hurt. But, don't add one to the bottom edge. That will trap moisture instead of allowing it to drain or evaporate out.

I drive my NSX in all kinds of weather, and occasionally even pour soapy water over the engine (covering the electronics with plastic bags) to clean it. I've not had a water problem with the plugs & coil packs in 12 years, 67kmi.

Many thks but will the silicone grease melted because the temperature is quite high being generated from the engine?

What if the silicon fell into the spark plug wells via the narrow tube? That will be quite difficult to clean up?

Many thks but will the silicone grease melted because the temperature is quite high being generated from the engine?

What if the silicon fell into the spark plug wells via the narrow tube? That will be quite difficult to clean up?

You also have high heat grease.
Locttite blue or gold liquid gasket should do the job as well, you can peal that stuff of cleanly after wards.

Thanks to Frank's recommendation, I used Dow Corning DC-4 silicone grease when I refreshed my engine. I have washed the engine several times and driven in many downpours since then and when we removed the coils to do a compression test they were bone dry.

I coat the cover gasket in the grease by rubbing it between my fingers (it also helps it stick to the coil cover). I also put a generous amount around the outside of the boot that fits over the spark plug. Finally, I put some on the rubber seal at the top of the coil.

Back