• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NYC here I come

That hotel has a great brunch, unless things have changed.

Flushing Chinatown, IMHO >>> Manhattan Chinatown at this point. Curious if Pilot agrees.

You almost cant go wrong wandering Manhattan and looking for interesting things, to be honest. The food and shopping are endless really.

If the kids are young, FAO Schwarz store is still there. Not the same, but still a neat thing for kids to see and the uber Apple store (with the giant glass cube) is right outside.

That Afghan street vendor is really good actually, and there are a few other "famous" street food guys as well. Hard to recommend street food though. When you're born and raised there and spend 39 years, you start looking for stuff to try. But for a vacation, Id stick with any of the awesome restaurants. There is something in every price range and cuisine that is worth trying (especially if you expand into the boroughs)

Brooklyn and Queens both have a lot to offer both culturally and in terms of cuisine, but I cant say I fully recommend straying from Manhattan on your first trip. The boroughs can be a challenge logistically even when you know them like the back of your hand.

Update on hotel: Please advice on these hotels.

Holiday Inn Express
NEW YORK CITY TIMES SQUARE
343 WEST 39TH STREET
NEW YORK CITY, NY 10018 UNITED STATES
0.55 mile from Manhattan

NEW YORK CITY-MIDTOWN-57TH ST.
440 WEST 57TH ST
NEW YORK CITY, NY 10019 UNITED STATES
1 mile from Manhattan

NYC - MANHATTAN 6TH AVE
125 WEST 26TH STREET
NEW YORK CITY, NY 10001 UNITED STATES
1.07 mile from Manhattan

Thanks guys!:smile:

all of those hotels are west of 5th ave,without any knowledge of the accomodations I would pick the 57th street location but as a tourist new to the city you might think the 39 st was more exciting being nearer to times square.

First of all, when they list distance from manhattan please note that they are all in manhattan.

I used to use the 57th Street Holiday Inn as the host hotel for our debate tournaments at Fordham University but that was decades ago. All have pretty good reviews on Trip Advisor with the understanding that you get Holiday Inn amenities but that should not be a problem unless you are used to 4 star properties.

The 57th street is "nearby" (pretty easy walking distance):

1. Lincoln Center (4 blocks)
2. Central Park (approximately 6 blocks)
3. Rockefeller Center (approximately 10 blocks)
4. St Patrick's Cathedral (approximately 12 blocks)
5. Museum of Modern Art (approximately 9 blocks)
6. Times Square (approximately 1 mile)

The 39th Street location is at the southern end of Times Square (42nd Street is the epicenter) - appears to be a new property

1. Central Park - one mile north
2. Empire State Building - approximately 8 blocks
3. Rockefeller Center - approximately 17 blocks
4. St Patricks - approximately 18 blocks
5. Grand Central Station - approximately 9 blocks

The 26th Street property is furthest away from everything and not really walking distance to anything other than times square.

In terms of "quiet" (a very relative term in Manhattan), in descending order in terms of proximity to the craziness:

1. 39th street
2. 57th street
3. 26th street

Last edited:
Flushing Chinatown, IMHO >>> Manhattan Chinatown at this point. Curious if Pilot agrees.

You almost cant go wrong wandering Manhattan and looking for interesting things, to be honest. The food and shopping are endless really.

If the kids are young, FAO Schwarz store is still there. Not the same, but still a neat thing for kids to see and the uber Apple store (with the giant glass cube) is right outside.

That Afghan street vendor is really good actually, and there are a few other "famous" street food guys as well. Hard to recommend street food though. When you're born and raised there and spend 39 years, you start looking for stuff to try. But for a vacation, Id stick with any of the awesome restaurants. There is something in every price range and cuisine that is worth trying (especially if you expand into the boroughs)

Brooklyn and Queens both have a lot to offer both culturally and in terms of cuisine, but I cant say I fully recommend straying from Manhattan on your first trip. The boroughs can be a challenge logistically even when you know them like the back of your hand.

I agree for a visit to NY you need to tour Manhattan

as for the New hotel choices 39st is probably the best for wow factor as there is more to see within walking distance outside your door

Guys, I booked the hotel at 39th street and thanks for all your help again. I'm now worry free:smile:

Good, I'm glad you "flushed" the flushing idea.:wink:

Guys, I'm out of luck with Liberty crown ticket reservation. I checked the site and called, found out tickets are sold out until July.:mad:

If you have some time, please check out the Halal guys on 53rd and 6th avenue. I believe they open at 4PM and expect to wait on line for atleast 30 minutes. Get "The Mix" and thank me later. If you're curious, youtube "53rd and 6th" and you'll see what i'm talking about. Their food is sooooo good. It's rice, chicken, lamb, lettuce, and pita bread in a platter. But they give you this "white sauce" and it's a huge hit.

Oh and btw, just because you see a cart across the street with no line, DO NOT DITCH THE LINE. Stay on the line and you won't regret it.

Guys, what is the biggest zoo and aquarium show close to Manhattan? My wife wants to check it out.

Second, what is the best Italian restuarant with candle light dinner for 2? I'm looking for good dinner but not too expensive:smile:

Guys, what is the biggest zoo and aquarium show close to Manhattan? My wife wants to check it out.

Second, what is the best Italian restuarant with candle light dinner for 2? I'm looking for good dinner but not too expensive:smile:

The Bronx Zoo Hands down is one of the best zoo's you will find in the world and just outside of that is arthur ave or Frank n Johnnys pine tavern located on bronxdale ave....Yelp.com can help with a location

I'm a NY "lifer" so that means I don't get sticker shock with menu prices but I don't know your definition of "reasonably priced" so check the menu prices on the links and decide whether they are in your budget:

iL Buco

Po

Last edited:
I thought they lost their lease several years ago?

In addition to Moonstruck, the original Grand Ticino is reported to have been the first place in America where the poet Dylan Thomas dined.

could be Bob:redface: I have fond memories of the place,it had been around for a long time:frown: my grandfather used to eat there in his "lounge singing" days.Il mulino is also another marque Italian.

I think they lost their lease in 2003 after being there for 82 years. I always enjoyed it while I was living in Chelsea. Tough to see "progress" sometimes....

Back