• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

OEM Radio problem

Hi guys. First I'll state that I have the adapter for an ipod in the trunk. The problem is every time I go over a bump, my right channel goes in and out. But it doesn't happen when the radio is on, only when I'm listening to music from the ipod that's connected in the trunk. I can't seem to find a bad connection to the ipod, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. If I turn the radio off and on again, it usually fixes it until I hit the next bump. My question: is this a common problem with the oem radio when not actually listening to the "radio", but to the ipod that's hooked up? Or is this something else? Anyone have a similar experience?

I have not experienced the problem, but my iPod adapter is installed behind the driver's seat. Perhaps redo the install and make the connection inside the car? You just pop off the bulkhead cover and disconnect the cable to the trunk at the top corner of the bulkhead behind the driver. That will eliminate the other section of cable if that's the cause. Be aware that you may need some new fasteners to resecure the bulkhead cover.

I have not experienced the problem, but my iPod adapter is installed behind the driver's seat. Perhaps redo the install and make the connection inside the car? You just pop off the bulkhead cover and disconnect the cable to the trunk at the top corner of the bulkhead behind the driver. That will eliminate the other section of cable if that's the cause. Be aware that you may need some new fasteners to resecure the bulkhead cover.
+1. iPod in the trunk? That's not very convenient! I'm assuming you're plugging into the CD changer cable back there. If it's any help, I've never lost the right channel while listening to CDs. However, both channels drop out when I go over a big enough bump (CD skips). Lol.

Get some adaptor cables and switch the left and right inputs. See if the same thing happens or if it changes sides.

What adapter?
Grom or USA Spec?
Is the adapter and iPod mounted or just laying in the trunk?
Have you tried another iPod or iPhone?
I have seen a bad cable that connects to the iPod once.
Pictures?

Last edited:
What adapter?
Grom or USA Spec?
Is the adapter and iPod mounted or just laying in the trunk?
Have you tried another iPod or iPhone?
I have seen a bad cable that connects to the iPod once.
Pictures?
USA Spec
Laying in trunk.
No, never tried anything else.
Pic below.
20130805_201605.jpg

I remember playing with it in the trunk while the stereo was on and couldn't replicate the issue, so that's why I thought it was in the head unit. But it doesn't happen when the radio is on... weird...

Back