• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Official Firearms Thread

I've never found them comfortable. If they don't fit you, then the only other reason I can think of to have them is for an 'end of the world' kind of scenario. Great respect for what the platform can do, but I don't want to own one.

Except the Saiga-12. I love mine, it's fast to shoot and fast to load. If there were a reasonably priced AR pattern shotgun, though, I would ditch it in a second. The Akdal doesn't count, it's completely different inside.

I feel the same way. I keep saying I'll keep mine forever but I wouldn't buy another one. Then I go talking about one that's probably 3x more miserable to shoot. They have the ergonomics of a shovel. I have been wanting to try a saiga 12. I'm hoping someday their prices get back to reasonable.

I love my AK and, though certainly not as fun as the AR to shoot, it's still a lot of fun. However, I realize that my expectations are quite a bit lower than most: it's a crude tool with historical significance. The 5.45 round is much easier on recoil and, to me, about as fun as the AR.

Any love for the AK here? Other than rapid fire I don't find them terribly fun to shoot. I am tempted to pick up something like a PAP M92 pistol just to have as a beater.

The AK is like that old work truck that just won't quit. It's not sexy, it's not especially "nice," it's not really any fun, but it won't let you down, either. Not my favorite, but I'd be willing to rely on one in a fight. Kinda the same way I feel about Glocks.

The AR and AK (5.45 or 7.62) can be fun to shoot if you are shooting combat drills otherwise they are boring. The recoil is minimal especially on the AK.

I find the AK recoil to be quite sharp, actually. I've only ever fired the 7.62 out of an AK, though, so I can't comment on the 5.45. With no recoil buffer, it feels simliar to the recoil of my shotgun (sharp, direct and "short"), without the spring to slow it down.

I just bought a compstock for the 870, though, so I'm excited to take it to the range and see what it feels like.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/compstock-shotgun-stock,1155,165.htm

Are you just shooting with the barrel nut attached? Even the slant brake helps a bit. I use the 74 style and a Rifle Dynamics muzzle brake on occasion. Doesn't seem to be harsh at all but really shines in respect to minimizing muzzle rise.

Forgive the james yeager vid:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/NKhT7MusDiQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I don't want this to come off the wrong way but with proper stance, grip, cheek weld, butt stock firmly in shoulder pocket, support hand placement, sight alignment, sight picture, breathing control, and follow through with the weapon and it will not be bad. An AK does not feel close to a shotgun. I would say a .50 BMG chambered SASR is close in shotgun recoil. The AK and AR are light on recoil until you try to dump 30 rounds on auto and then they have a moderate pushing force that is sustained. This could all be my desensitized perception to these weapon systems.

Are you just shooting with the barrel nut attached? Even the slant brake helps a bit. I use the 74 style and a Rifle Dynamics muzzle brake on occasion. Doesn't seem to be harsh at all but really shines in respect to minimizing muzzle rise.

It has been a long time since I've shot an AK, so I may not be remembering it as accurately. I carry an M4 daily, however, so I'm much more familiar with that weapon. In any case, the most time I've had hands-on with an AK was in Iraq. The rifles were military weapons (full auto select fire), some with the fold-over stock (which I don't like in general, but I realize such a feature has it's place). Like I said, I've only fired the AK47s, not the 74s.

I don't want this to come off the wrong way but with proper stance, grip, cheek weld, butt stock firmly in shoulder pocket, support hand placement, sight alignment, sight picture, breathing control, and follow through with the weapon and it will not be bad. An AK does not feel close to a shotgun. I would say a .50 BMG chambered SASR is close in shotgun recoil. The AK and AR are light on recoil until you try to dump 30 rounds on auto and then they have a moderate pushing force that is sustained. This could all be my desensitized perception to these weapon systems.

I get what you're saying. I wasn't denouncing the AK, though. I am not afraid of recoil, and recoil management is not a problem for me. I'd have no problem employing an AK in self defense or in battle. I just noticed that the AK(47)'s recoil is harsher than the M4's. It "feels" more like my 12ga (firing 2.75" Ranger LE buck shot).

Last edited:
I will agree with you that it is more then the M4 but not by too much. I only have experience with the 47's as well, I did not encounter 74's overseas.

1484717_1457441147811438_1727290480_n.jpg

As of now, the company is only releasing specifications for their 9mm round and they go a lil’ something like this:

* 16″ Penetration
* Up to 6″ diameter spread
* 96 gr projectile
* 2″ grouping at 25 yrds
* 1265 FPS / 490 Muzzle Energy
* 9 Separate Wound Channels
* Precision Machined
* Solid Copper / Lead Free
* Defeats all known barriers such as sheet metal, sheet rock, windshields, plywood, heavy winter clothing

As of now, the company is only releasing specifications for their 9mm round and they go a lil’ something like this:

* 16″ Penetration
* Up to 6″ diameter spread
* 96 gr projectile
* 2″ grouping at 25 yrds
* 1265 FPS / 490 Muzzle Energy
* 9 Separate Wound Channels
* Precision Machined
* Solid Copper / Lead Free
* Defeats all known barriers such as sheet metal, sheet rock, windshields, plywood, heavy winter clothing

Those are girly bullets. Good luck finding a gun that will reliably feed those things. Real men shoot Elite Ammunition T-6 in 5.7x28mm. FiveseveN Pistol: 2,570fps P90: 2,845fps PS90: 3,095fps. Slices through a Level 3 Kevlar vest like butter and produces 4 very terminal wound channels.

T-6 Trident25grPFP_03.jpg

Looking at youtube video of the gel tests, the 5.7 T6 ammo doesn't actually separate, and since it's certainly not designed to expand, it doesn't look like it would have any better terminal effects than a green tip 5.56mm (which will also blow right through soft body armor). The 9mm, "G2 RIP," looks in gel tests like it separates as you would imagine, but the splinters don't penetrate more than a few inches and don't have enough energy to do much in that distance. The remaining core may penetrate, but it has such a narrow wound channel that at first glance, it wouldn't do much as far as stopping a target in a defense situation.

Now, I wouldn't want to be shot with either one, but I don't want to be shot with a .22 short either, so that doesn't mean much.

Do you find it heavy at all? I've been looking at one as well and it seems like I'm taking a great light rifle and adding 5 billion accessories that make it excessively heavy.

In my honest opinion, the problem with scopes on a carbine lenght rifle is that they can be difficult to acquire the target through if your eye does not line up exactly with the lens. For shots within 200 meters, I'd rather use iron sights (assuming a stationary, man-sized target). I was able to hit a 8-inch disk at about 200m with an AK on those open sights they have. Granted: it wasn't snap shots, they were carefully aimed shots, but for what it's worth, when firing from a standing or kneeling position, I much prefer irons over optics, espcially when shooting on the move. For prone and seated, some magnification is helpful, though.

Translation: it's not worth the weight, to me. A 1.5x or 2x ACOG might be a good compromise, though.

For my purposes, a foregrip, a light, a good stock (collapsible, and maybe with a cheek piece), and MAYBE a reflex sight or ACOG is an optimum configuration.

Last edited:
Looking at youtube video of the gel tests, the 5.7 T6 ammo doesn't actually separate, and since it's certainly not designed to expand, it doesn't look like it would have any better terminal effects than a green tip 5.56mm (which will also blow right through soft body armor).

Agreed. But you can't carry XM855 concealed. :)

In my honest opinion, the problem with scopes on a carbine lenght rifle is that they can be difficult to acquire the target through if your eye does not line up exactly with the lens. For shots within 200 meters, I'd rather use iron sights (assuming a stationary, man-sized target). I was able to hit a 8-inch disk at about 200m with an AK on those open sights they have. Granted: it wasn't snap shots, they were carefully aimed shots, but for what it's worth, when firing from a standing or kneeling position, I much prefer irons over optics, espcially when shooting on the move. For prone and seated, some magnification is helpful, though.

Translation: it's not worth the weight, to me. A 1.5x or 2x ACOG might be a good compromise, though.

For my purposes, a foregrip, a light, a good stock (collapsible, and maybe with a cheek piece), and MAYBE a reflex sight or ACOG is an optimum configuration.

A Micro T is nice for faster shots or the Elcan 1-4x. I prefer the holographic sights for the zero parallax and not having to worry about eye relief or scope shadow.

Interesting. I'm actually becoming quite fond of irons for just about everything. But I can get on target with red dots so much quicker.

F17.jpg

Franklin Armory is pleased to introduce the all new F17-L, the first ever gas operated rimfire! With its debut at SHOT SHOW 2014, the early reception of this design has been very positive. The F17-L features a direct impingement gas system with a rotating locking bolt that is very similar to the original Eugene Stoner design. This action is far safer and more reliable than the traditional blow back designs because of the 33,000 PSI this round produces. Since this rifle is chambered for the .17 Winchester Super Magnum Rimfire, it will be available for sale in every state of the nation. …even those with "Assault Weapon" bans! The F17-L will be ready for distribution in the second quarter of 2014.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/HXd-x13nfl4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Barrel:
Chambered in 17 Winchester Super Magnum Rimfire
4140 Chrome Moly
Salt Bath Nitride Chamber, Bore, & Finish
20" Bull Barrel
11 Degree Target Crown with Recessed Muzzle Crown
1/9-Inch Twist

Upper Receiver:
Franklin Armory™ Libertas™ Proprietary Billet Upper Receiver
Machined From 7075-T6 Aluminum
Hard Coat Type III Anodized Black
Free Float Fluted & Vented Handguard
Forward Assist
Designed 17 WSM Bolt Carrier Group
Salt bath Nitride Bolt Carrier Group
Direct Impingement Gas System Design
Custom Designed Bolt Carrier Group

Lower Receiver:
Franklin Armory™ Libertas™ Proprietary Billet Lower Receiver
Machined From 7075-T6 Aluminum
Hard Coat Type III Anodized Black
Flared Magazine Well for Quick Magazine Changes
Ambidextrous Push Button QD Sling Mounts
Integral Cold Weather Trigger Guard
Serrated Memory Index Point for Shooting Finger
Textured Front Area for Offhand Grip
Specialized Tension Screw - Eliminates Upper/Lower Play
Franklin Armory™ Factory Custom Tuned Trigger
Ergo Ambi Sure Grip

Magazine:
10 Round Capacity
Custom Designed
Fits Standard AR15 Magazine Well

Stock:
Magpul MOE Rifle Stock
Snag Free Design
Sling Mountable

Additional Features:
Comprehensive Safety Manual
California Certified Cable Lock
Complimentary Lockable Case

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/iRMWTR4LMK4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Back