• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Oil Pressure

It depends on what gear you are in for the 60plus pressure your asking about. But if memory serves me correctly in 4th of 5th gear I am around
the 5 or 6 marker.

At idle it's low, at first its around 2 when cold, but drops when hot.

Did you just buy an NSX, or did you just notice the oil pressure swings?

I'll second Ray....I'm pretty sure it's normal.

If your cruisin' in 3rd gear around 80mph and your pressure is around 1, then there is a problem :biggrin:

NSXVURGIN said:
If your cruisin' in 3rd gear around 80mph and your pressure is around 1, then there is a problem :biggrin:

And not even that is true (scary huh).

The oilpressure commes from a pump, which is connected on the crankshaft.
If the engine is at idle, the pump is not doing 'much', so you get a nice 1 bar of pressure, or when the oil is cold (thick), it will read higher (sometimes over 4 bar).

When your reving the engine, the pump will work harder, so the pressure will go up, and up. Until 3500RPM, where a bypass valve will keep the pressure steady at about 6 bar (this is what the valve is set at).
At 6000RPM you will see a dip in pressure, of about 1/2 bar, this is when the oilpressure is used to engage VTEC.

Now, on some (quiet a few) NSX's oilpressure will drop like mad, when reving up to the limmitter, sometimes to 0 bar.....
It seems common, but harmless.......
If you want to know more about this, do a search.

Mich

Victor Munoz said:
Can somebody tell me what the oil pressure should be when the car is runing at arround 60MPH and at idele?
You should read the Oil Pressure section of the FAQ (answers to Frequently Asked Questions).

1. Click on FAQ in the red bar at the top of your screen that looks like this:

04jannavbar.gif

2. Click on Troubleshooting

3. Click on Oil Pressure

Can someone post a picture of the oil pressure gauge sender unit.
The one on top of the engine near the front.
Thanks so much
tRev

ffffanman said:
Thanks so much
tRev

Follow the link provided by NSX 3.0

ffffanman said:
Thanks so much
tRev

Here is the service bulletin.

Last edited:
Here it is just got it today. I will post pics when I change it out this weekend.

Last edited:
My oil pressure light started blinking, oil pressure on the gauge looks fine. I followed the owners manual, pulled aside and turned off the engine. When started the engine, everything came back to normal. I also checked the service manual and there are instrucctions when light goes on, nothing when light is blinking.

Any ideas before I go to the dealer ??

NSX PTY said:
My oil pressure light started blinking, oil pressure on the gauge looks fine. I followed the owners manual, pulled aside and turned off the engine. When started the engine, everything came back to normal. I also checked the service manual and there are instrucctions when light goes on, nothing when light is blinking.

Any ideas before I go to the dealer ??

Go to the dealer now!

The oil-pressure light is not connected to any electronic device which could let the light 'blink'.
So, there could be a few problems, which as Ken pointed out are short on oil, or maybe a bad connection in the wiring, or maybe a problem with your oilpump.

You really, really, don't wanna play russian roulette with the NSX engine.

Thanx Ken and DutchBlackNsx,

Checked the oil dipstick (before posting), thought it was some kind of sarcasm :confused: , but hey, to some people you have to go 101 on engine maintanance.

You're right, there is nothing to make the oil-pressure light "blink", there are other self-diagnostic troubleshooting that make other lights blink.

The wiring problem is a good point. At first I didn't think it was related but the door-open light on the driver's side is also on (.... the door is closed). I'll check wiring and take it to the dealer.

Thanx guys, :smile:

My '05 with only 2700 miles on it shows near 60 PSI running at 65 MPH in 6th and between 20-30 PSI at idle.

Just had my sender installed and what a difference. At idle it would be near zero on the gauge now a solid 2 bars. On the highway it used to read 4 bars at 75mph-5th gear now a solid 6-7 bars. If your readings are low and bugging the heck out of you I say change the sender. :biggrin:

NSX PTY said:
You're right, there is nothing to make the oil-pressure light "blink", there are other self-diagnostic troubleshooting that make other lights blink.
...I'll check wiring and take it to the dealer.
NSX PTY .. did you ever get a resolution to this? Tonight I had a very similar situation ... actually, the light came on while I was on the highway so I ducked into the closest garage .. but the gauge moved with RPM and showed adequate pressure and I had no tappet noise and since I was about 2 1/2 hours from home I decided it was likely the idiot light and continued on. For the next hour, the light would slowly vary all over the map (from almost off to full on) although the oil pressure wasn't varying much. Finally, the idiot light started blinking so I decided not to chance it any further and stopped at the next town and had it flatbed'd 45 miles to the dealer.

When I got home I checked the electrical diagram and counter to your claim above, the idiot light is connected to a master module which makes it flash(as well as a bunch of other things that need to flash). However, the wiring diagram says that the gauge is connected to the oil pressure sending unit but the idiot light is connected to an "oil pressure switch" (the symbol seems to suggest it's either on or off) but doesn't say where this is...although the FAQ says that it's somewhere on the oil cooler. Did you happen to have a malfunctioning switch or did they replace the sender unit (and, if so, did that fix the problem)?

NSX2398 said:
When I got home I checked the electrical diagram and counter to your claim above, the idiot light is connected to a master module which makes it flash(as well as a bunch of other things that need to flash). However, the wiring diagram says that the gauge is connected to the oil pressure sending unit but the idiot light is connected to an "oil pressure switch" (the symbol seems to suggest it's either on or off) but doesn't say where this is...although the FAQ says that it's somewhere on the oil cooler. Did you happen to have a malfunctioning switch or did they replace the sender unit (and, if so, did that fix the problem)?

There is a pressure switch located in the oil cooler, just above the oil filter, for some reason there are two different part numbers from Acura, maybe auto/man. they are inexpensive parts and if you suspect the switch I would replace it. It is Items 12,13 & 14 in this picture.

Dave

Tks for the picture Dave....it agrees with the "oil switch" terminology in the exploded view of the oil cooler on page 8-10 of the shop manual. The diagnostic routine on page 8-5 continues to refer to "oil pressure sender" (although they appear to be pointing to the "oil pressure switch") which I find confusing because it is similar to "oil pressure gauge sender" which I have since located on the front cylinder head below the spool valve (which, by the way, also has it's own separate "oil pressure switch"). But at least I think I now know how the idiot light can be on while the gauge is showing normal pressure.

Hi Ian,

I was never able to determine precisely what caused the oil pressure light to blink. As many stated above, there is nothing that makes it "blink".

I believe my problem is in the complete gauge cluster b/c of humidity here in Panama. I mentioned that the light that indicates there is a door open (i believe its called the warning lights) was on, sometimes a little dim, even though the door was actually closed. Things got worst now, brake light warning is on, headlights are on, everything is on now.

a friend told me its probably a "diode" that went bad. Diodes are on every circuit where there is a light bulb, and they prevent current to "return" and not show a false burn-out. I'm not an electrician but this is what i understood, also trying to explain with my english.

Maybe my oil pressure problem is related to the warning lights and diodes, maybe not. If you find out something, let me know.

AC

NSX2398 said:
NSX PTY .. did you ever get a resolution to this? Tonight I had a very similar situation ... actually, the light came on while I was on the highway so I ducked into the closest garage .. but the gauge moved with RPM and showed adequate pressure and I had no tappet noise and since I was about 2 1/2 hours from home I decided it was likely the idiot light and continued on. For the next hour, the light would slowly vary all over the map (from almost off to full on) although the oil pressure wasn't varying much. Finally, the idiot light started blinking so I decided not to chance it any further and stopped at the next town and had it flatbed'd 45 miles to the dealer.

Tks for the followup NSX PTY. I got my car back from the dealer yesterday and they confirmed (with a mechanical gauge) my previous suspicions that the oil pressure switch that drives the idiot light is malfunctioning. They have the part on order so I'm driving it in the meantime. Oddly enough, the idiot light isn't coming on any more .. which will make it kind of hard to tell if the new part fixes it. They haven't totally ruled out electrical problems either but as you point out, electrical glitches are a little harder to track down.

check to see that the oil signal line is away from all heat source.

If your engine heats up and the oil line is out of position and gets close to the exhaust pipes, the resistance on your wire will sky rocket and you wont get anything.

Check that first. There is a bracket right behind the exhaust under your car on the engine. This bracket holds the oil presure line away from the exhaust and can rummble off over time.

Hello,

Since I bought my NSX I have a oil pressure low.
I add a VDO oil pressure + VDO gauge and I have the same pressure.

90°C oil
1bar at IDLE
4bar after 4000rpm

120°C oil
1bar at IDLE
2.5bar after 4000rpm

Can you say me if I can modify my oil pressure with the part 4 on this picture ???

attachment.php

Back