• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Old Subject - Tires

Just checked with my tire dealer. Many of the options have been discontinued (Yoko's, Dunlops, Kuomo's, etc.). So, what are people using these days for the 16/17 setup (2001 Silver)?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Rick

Last edited:
I only use BF Goodrich KDW firetread. after going thru 4-5 sets of rears a year I was getting tired of it. switched to these and I do 2 sets a year.

granted I drive like a bat outta hell 99.9% of the time. can get in my NSX and drive from Florida to Alaska with out a second thought.

BATMANs had another brand he liked I trust his option also I forget which brand he liked.

The basic question is whether you want the absolute stickiest street tires you can get, or if you would be willing to sacrifice just a bit of that performance for better treadlife.

For the stickiest street tires:
Toyo Proxes R1R 205/45-16 and 245/40-17
Kumho Ecsta XS 215/45-16 and either 245/40-17 or 255/40-17
Falken Azenis RT-615K 215/45-16 and 255/40-17

For longer treadlife, you have to take a substantial step down in performance, because there aren't any front tires available for the next performance category down ("maximum performance tires"). You have to get ultra high performance tires, the best of which is the Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport (which I think is better than the BFG KDW, another UHP tire). It's available in 205/45-16 and 245/40-17.

Last edited:
I live in SW Oregon. ODOT and the county I live in use a very coarse type of chip seal on most of the roads (obviously excepting I-5). When I first move hear I had the OE Yoko's on the car. I don't drive terribly aggressively, but the road surface is very aggressive. The rear tires lasted about 3,000 miles. Since then I have been using Dunlop's W-rated tire. Yes, a sacrifice in stickiness, but a whale of a lot more wear. The model I was using has been discontinued, so now I'm looking for a comparable substitute.

The basic question is whether you want the absolute stickiest street tires you can get, or if you would be willing to sacrifice just a bit of that performance for better treadlife.

For the stickiest street tires:
Toyo Proxes R1R 205/45-16 and 245/40-17
Kumho Ecsta XS 215/45-16 and either 245/40-17 or 255/40-17
Falken Azenis RT-615K 215/45-16 and 255/40-17

For longer treadlife, you have to take a substantial step down in performance, because there aren't any front tires available for the next performance category down ("maximum performance tires"). You have to get ultra high performance tires, the best of which is the Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport (which I think is better than the BFG KDW, another UHP tire). It's available in 205/45-16 and 245/40-17.

I live in SW Oregon. ODOT and the county I live in use a very coarse type of chip seal on most of the roads (obviously excepting I-5). When I first move hear I had the OE Yoko's on the car. I don't drive terribly aggressively, but the road surface is very aggressive. The rear tires lasted about 3,000 miles. Since then I have been using Dunlop's W-rated tire. Yes, a sacrifice in stickiness, but a whale of a lot more wear. The model I was using has been discontinued, so now I'm looking for a comparable substitute.
I don't know which Dunlop you were using, but I'd recommend the RE760 Sport that I mentioned above, in 205/45-16 and 245/40-17. Assuming you're not using them on snow or in frigid temperatures, of course.

Back