• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

opinions on the Apexi VTEC Controller?

I've been thinking about purchasing one of these things for a long time.I'd like to know about any expieriences anyone has had with them.

They are used better for their fuel curve tuning than the VTEC adjustment. You can lower it down a bit say 5000-5500 rpms, any lower and it is worthless. This unit is a neccessity on a boosted 4 cyl honda motor for sure. Many NSX guys don't like them, but I believe it is just their lack of experience with the VAFC. I have tuned many Integra's and civics with total success with the unit. I have no experience with the NSX use as of yet.

i have been thinking about trying it also. Not many people have and the ones who did, did not think they saw much improvement. I talked to a friend a an Acura dealership and he said if you lower your vtec down you need to also change your fuel maps at the lower rpm to see any improvement. He thought that this is why many owners did not notice any change . he suggested to spend a day on the dyno tuning to get the best results. I think i might try it in a couple of months. I have been wanting to go to the dyno to see the results of my mods anyway.

I have one installed by the previous owner of the car but never know how to operate it. Could anyone give me a manual? or do I need to take it to a pro shop to tune the car with the unit? Will my car performance be affected if I did not tune it properly?

If so can I bypass the unit?

Thanks

You can get the manual from the apexi web site. I belive if the unit is turned off, the car will run off the stock ecu settings. To get the best results you need to tune on a dyno. That is the only way to get results. Any other way and you are just guessing. This is more usefull if you have any mods; intake, larger throttle body, headders, exhaust, balanced or larger fuel injectors, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, nitrous, forced induction, etc.

A good local import tuner should also have a manual and can give you tuning pointers.

I have had the S-AFC installed in my 91 for over a year now. I had it installed with my CTSC, as a way to fine tune the AFR. I originally wanted to go with the one that controlled the Vtech engagement, but APEXI(at the time) said they didn't support the application, and the guys at the shop I got mine installed at didn't feel comfortable trying to install it and have something go wrong. I know some people have installed them in their X's, and I don't know if some of those people have posted exactly which wires to tap into on the ECU yet.

It is very useful in fine tuning the AFR, especially if you have a good group of mods, and the good thing is that you can continually update the settings whenever new goodies are added to the engine, and it isn't very difficult to do so. You won't see any huge improvements with it unless your AFR was significantly off before, but you can at least be assured that everything is running at top effeciency with what you have.

Also with these units you get readings that include throttle position, RPM, manifold pressure, and a few others, but there is no way to turn the unit off, that I have seen. You can reset the unit to baseline, which would mean that you will be running whatever maps your ECU has in it (effectively bypassing the unit).

As for tuning it, you need to do that on a dyno, with a gas analyzer, or some tool that can tell you if you are running lean or rich, but if you have access to one of those, tuning it yourself is pretty easy.

-Stuart

Back