• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ordering.

Has anyone who secured a spot recieved any info as to when they will be able to order ?
One of my close friends is on the list and the dealer hasnt given him a date yet.
Just wanted to ask the prime family to see if there was an update.

I'm number one with my dealer and he is my cousin's husband, so I know he shooting straight when he says he hasn't heard anything. Gotta hand it to the guy's at Honda, for keeping a tight lid on details of this car. Although, it's also quite frustrating!

What are these spots that you speak of?

My understanding was that ordering will be electronic either through the website or kiosks installed at dealerships...

I use the term spot as in a deposit has been accepted by the dealer to purchase the car, with no set price or info available.
The last bit of info that was provided by the dealer to my friend is that he will be notified when he can come in and place his order,pick options he would like, etc.
He reached out to me because he wanted to know if there was any new info, and I posted here, the best site ever.

I think early on some dealers were trying to line up prospective clients for the new car so they could get an allocation.

Just back from the Vancouver dealership.
For what it's worth the rumour is ordering starts in September and delivery starts in January.
The dealership will be inviting those with deposits to place their orders based on their position on the waitlist.

I'm just going to cut in line later.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kx2a-BYBetc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Larry! Larry!

How can dealers be taking deposits/spots if they don't even know what their allocation is going to be? I was told that once the kiosk is set up in the dealership, it's pretty much first come first served...

Nice how we've gone from taking orders during the summer for delivery by the end of the year to orders in August for delivery next year :-( sounds like the delays continue…

How can dealers be taking deposits/spots if they don't even know what their allocation is going to be? I was told that once the kiosk is set up in the dealership, it's pretty much first come first served...

My understanding is the dealers can take deposits and form a waitlist without needing an allocation or agreement from Honda.
Once ordering is permitted I presume each dealer will have an allocation to work from and hopefully will fill their quota from those who placed deposits on the waitlist.
I'd imagine if a dealership has 10 deposits they could try and argue for a higher allocation although I've no knowledge of the internal workings between Honda and their dealers.

If the car is delayed it is likely for good reasons.
A reliability or software glitch found.
A decision to increase power levels due to competitors moves.

You wouldn't want Honda to launch the car prematurely would you?

My understanding is the dealers can take deposits and form a waitlist without needing an allocation or agreement from Honda.
Once ordering is permitted I presume each dealer will have an allocation to work from and hopefully will fill their quota from those who placed deposits on the waitlist.
I'd imagine if a dealership has 10 deposits they could try and argue for a higher allocation although I've no knowledge of the internal workings between Honda and their dealers.

If the car is delayed it is likely for good reasons.
A reliability or software glitch found.
A decision to increase power levels due to competitors moves.

You wouldn't want Honda to launch the car prematurely would you?

....and that the McLaren Honda's disastrous start in their F1 reunion won't lend credibility to the new NSX??? Obviously, a much better introduction/delivery of the new NSX should coincide with some successes in their F1 program??? After all, the original NSX was introduced during the illustrious time of Honda power with McLaren Honda dominating the F1 circuits. I still remember that, in 1988, McLaren Honda won 15 races out of the 16 in that season. The only one that slipped away was at Ferrari's home turf: The Italian GP at Monza where Ferrari won that race. Honda will get it right. But the current state of their engine power and reliability in F1 do not support the introduction of Honda's "hypercar". Perhaps Honda is holding back the release of the production cars until their F1 program gains better traction??? I would guess there is that element in play for the current delay....

....and that the McLaren Honda's disastrous start in their F1 reunion won't lend credibility to the new NSX??? Obviously, a much better introduction/delivery of the new NSX should coincide with some successes in their F1 program??? After all, the original NSX was introduced during the illustrious time of Honda power with McLaren Honda dominating the F1 circuits. I still remember that, in 1988, McLaren Honda won 15 races out of the 16 in that season. The only one that slipped away was at Ferrari's home turf: The Italian GP at Monza where Ferrari won that race. Honda will get it right. But the current state of their engine power and reliability in F1 do not support the introduction of Honda's "hypercar". Perhaps Honda is holding back the release of the production cars until their F1 program gains better traction??? I would guess there is that element in play for the current delay....

Quite right
No question Honda didn't expect their return to F1 would have started this poorly.
Another possible reason for a delay.

If that's the reason for the delay, it could be years until they sell the car. Seriously though, it couldn't be until next spring and even that is a pretty low probability all things considered.

The burnt car on the ring actually set them back. I'm not sure if the poor start in F1 with the boring races and uncertain future of rules will postpone the delivery. Otherwise they risk to sell a outdated car, maybe not in the US but anywhere else.

personally speaking a hybrid power unit and a complex awd system with dynamic torque vectoring should be state of the art for years to come......imo the longer we wait the better the car for the first owners

The delay is probably not all due to the poor F1 start. But, lack of performance in F1 is certainly part of the reason. The NSX is intended to compete in the upper echelon and being the back marker in F1 does not bode well for the image of the NSX.....

personally speaking a hybrid power unit and a complex awd system with dynamic torque vectoring should be state of the art for years to come......imo the longer we wait the better the car for the first owners

I'm with you Doc.
Hope Ted and Co don't launch until they're good and ready!

I have a few friends who are insiders in formula 1 and was pleased to learn that the problem with the power package is very much understood but unfortunately not easy to fix. I was concerned it was the hybrid system lacking the power but the electric side of the powertrain is apparently excellent as is the chassis. The problem is the internal combustion engine power is way down. believe the issue is down to the head design, is fundamental and will take months to fix with a complete redesign to the point that it is not worth starting now if it is even within the rules to try.

While it looks bad for Honda as a brand, it doesn't make me worry about the capability of Honda to build their own engine within their own design brief not constrained by arbitrary rules. I'm confident that when unleashed to build what they want the ICE will be excellent, and their gained knowledge of the hybrid system will serve only to improve the output further.

I was told that there is likely a "market premium" added by dealers over the MSRP. Can anyone who's on the list confirm this?

I'm sure some dealers will charge whatever they can get for it.
I know of four of us on the forum with deposits and on the waitlist at our local Acura dealer.
In our case the dealer has said they will go with the MSRP.

The first generation cars had a similar situation with a lot of dealer upcharges for early models.
That turned to discounting fairly quickly as Honda USA had ordered too many cars based on the initial flurry.
I know Honda is sensitive to this but not sure what they can do about it.
Perhaps the online order placing will fix the pricing at time of ordering and the dealers will get paid a commission rather than charge a markup over cost.

When I was calling around, Dan Lasko at Bridgewater Acura in NJ told me they planned to add $35K over sticker. None of the other dealers I spoke to hinted at any premium. However, some stated that they wouldn't guarantee that they would sell at MSRP.

When I was calling around, Dan Lasko at Bridgewater Acura in NJ told me they planned to add $35K over sticker. None of the other dealers I spoke to hinted at any premium. However, some stated that they wouldn't guarantee that they would sell at MSRP.

They shouldn't get any then.

Last edited:

I think you meant Mike,not Dan.

I think you meant Mike,not Dan.

Nope, I called for Mike, but he was out and was then given to Dan. If I recall, he was the used car manager, but stepped in to take the call in Mike's absence. I'm not making any derogatory statements about him or the store...only passing along what I was told.

Can't believe how messed up the us system is.

we might get things later and not pay a proper exchange rate but we know the dealers cant make a mark up. The price is set and if anything we push it down. I can't see how a uk dealer could dictate an increased price regardless of limited stock allocation.

Back