• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ordering.

I have a few friends who are insiders in formula 1 and was pleased to learn that the problem with the power package is very much understood but unfortunately not easy to fix. I was concerned it was the hybrid system lacking the power but the electric side of the powertrain is apparently excellent as is the chassis. The problem is the internal combustion engine power is way down. believe the issue is down to the head design, is fundamental and will take months to fix with a complete redesign to the point that it is not worth starting now if it is even within the rules to try.

While it looks bad for Honda as a brand, it doesn't make me worry about the capability of Honda to build their own engine within their own design brief not constrained by arbitrary rules. I'm confident that when unleashed to build what they want the ICE will be excellent, and their gained knowledge of the hybrid system will serve only to improve the output further.

Thanks for the info. I have no doubt that Honda will get it right. When I was at British GP in Silverstone in '08, the Honda engine and exhaust sounded by far the best!! I actually made the comment to a Ferrari team member at the race and he agreed. The sound of Honda F1 engine in that year was unbelievable!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the feedback on market premium potentially added by certain dealers. I suppose those certain dealers are simply selling at what the market could support. Those who are sticking with MSRP will win more customers in the long run...

The first generation cars had a similar situation with a lot of dealer upcharges for early models.
That turned to discounting fairly quickly as Honda USA had ordered too many cars based on the initial flurry.
Not really. The car went on sale the end of summer 1990, and dealers were able to sell all their allocations at a premium over MSRP for quite a while. It wasn't for another year after that before cars started typically selling at a discount.

Not really. The car went on sale the end of summer 1990, and dealers were able to sell all their allocations at a premium over MSRP for quite a while. It wasn't for another year after that before cars started typically selling at a discount.

Ken by quickly I meant during 1992 the discounting began.
I researched this and learned that each Honda subsidiary had to declare an annual sales volume for the NSX which is where the 25 cars per day production came from.
My understanding was the Honda US figures had input from dealerships.

When the deliveries for the US cars began to back up on the Long Beach terminal, Honda apparently began pushing the dealerships and they responded by discounting to move the inventory.
My information suggests Honda is trying to avoid the dealership extra mark-ups and unsold inventory this go around.
If the new NSX is ordered and priced online at time of order then the dealer extra margin won't happen.
As well Honda should be able to coordinate production with actual orders to avoid overproducing.

If they can keep dealer extra margin out, and maintain exclusivity I think we'll be all right.

Ken by quickly I meant during 1992 the discounting began.
I researched this and learned that each Honda subsidiary had to declare an annual sales volume for the NSX which is where the 25 cars per day production came from.
My understanding was the Honda US figures had input from dealerships.
Yup. Their sales projections were fine for the first year the car was on sale. But in late 1991 and into 1992, the U.S. economy went into recession, and the unpopular luxury tax (10 percent of the sale amount over $30K) implemented on January 1, 1991, may have adversely affected sales also. As a result of both factors, the market for high-end cars, including the NSX, declined precipitously.

The burnt car on the ring actually set them back. I'm not sure if the poor start in F1 with the boring races and uncertain future of rules will postpone the delivery. Otherwise they risk to sell a outdated car, maybe not in the US but anywhere else.

The problem at the ring did not set them back ,it was not a design flaw

Back