• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Original 1991 owners

I bought #000085 in 2000

I am the third owner and have all the interesting documentation of the car.

The OEM window sticker (I have it) has a price of $60,000, a Destination fee of $600 and only one other item....a $24,400 "Market Adjustment" for a nice, round MSRP of $85,000.

The guy (a doctor) had a $1000 deposit for the NC dealer's first car. When he found out about the "Market Adjustmet" he blew a fuse and wrote all kinds of nasty letters (I have them) and told them to shove it.

But...he sold his right to another guy (another doctor) for the same $1000. He got the car for the $84K balance and there is no record of any lien...

Soon after purchasing the car, after a quick 4500 mile tour of Canada, the owner wore the rear tires completely out. More nasty letters. The dealer accused him of burning-out too much LOL! It goes on and on...

Mark,
Very cool stories, first time I've heard any from that point in the NSX's product life, thanks for sharing. I know when I worked in sales our pay was entirely based on a percentage of dealer profit. So your salesboy was probably s@$%ing his pants for more reason than one. Can you imagine the commission on a car with a 50k markup? I should've worked at a dealer with "Market Adjustment Value";)

Nate

Excellent story Mark, similar to one in NoCal where a dot com guy walks into the dealer w/shorts and no shoes and asks how much for the blue "T" on the showroom, the first 3 salesmen would not take him seriously so the new female sales person wrote it up. A week later he comes back and buys his wife a car from her.

Now, imagine walking into a warehouse about a month before the NSX is supposed to be introduced and all you see is black roofs, red quarterpanels and red taillights. 300 of them, All red. You want to go through and touch ALL of them just to make sure it is not a dream.

The dream has continued for 15 years.

Woodwork

woodwork said:
Now, imagine walking into a warehouse about a month before the NSX is supposed to be introduced and all you see is black roofs, red quarterpanels and red taillights. 300 of them, All red.
...and being told to replace the front emblem on all of them? :D

The NSX was the first car to carry the new logo for Acura. The logo, of course, is a stylized depiction of a pair of engineering calipers. When the logo was originally designed, there was no horizontal piece connecting the left and right vertical sections. This is how the hood emblems for the NSX were originally manufactured. When Soichiro Honda saw the logo, he insisted on adding the horizontal connector. (Probably to provide a similarity to the letter H, I would guess.) So Acura corporate staff needed to go through all the NSXs that had already been shipped to the States and replace all the hood emblems.

Hey, I still remember the first rumors of the NSX in 1986, when there was talk about twin turbos and the then-exorbitant price for a Japanese car of $25,000. I put down a deposit and waited.

My recollections from 1990 include...

- The official introduction of the car in late summer

- Finding out that most of the dealers were asking mid eighties for the car at that time

- Calling a few dealers (I even tried one in a small Midwestern market) but they were asking the same price as in the big cities

- Putting down a refundable deposit at three different dealers to "get on the list" (but turning down their price offers at that time)

- Getting a test drive at the dealer from whom I eventually bought mine, and seeing 100 on the speedometer when I thought I was going 60

- Working closely with the owner of that dealership - I already had a relationship with them, after buying several Hondas from their sister dealership - they knew I was a serious buyer, but I didn't want to buy at the price they were offering

- Going into another dealer to find out their price, and them wasting my time trying to tell me that I should buy from them for several grand more than I already had offers (I will never buy a car from Arlington Acura or recommend them to anyone. Ever.)

- Getting calls with offers throughout the fall from the dealers where I had deposits (the asking prices steadily declined, and were mostly in the low to mid seventies by late fall)

- Getting the call in December 1990 in which we worked out a price that was mutually acceptable (they wanted to close the sale before the end of the year for their sales reports, and I knew it would cost me around $4K more to wait until 1991 due to the imposition of the luxury tax on January 1)

- Driving away in my new NSX

Incidentally, at all the dealers I spoke with during that period, all NSX sales were negotiated by the General Manager or the Sales Manager of the dealership, and not by the sales people on the floor.

The logo, of course, is a stylized depiction of a pair of engineering calipers

And all this time I thought it was the "H" for Honda emblem pinching the top of the vertical sides to make the "A" for Acura
or all the Honda guys wanting to join star fleet.....

anyone out there hear of people putting a deposit down to be close to or at the top of list only to sell their spot for a greater price than their initial deposit....if so ..how much?

At the time that the three Japanese luxury manufacturers (Acura, Lexus, and Infiniti) introduced their logos, one magazine quipped that they all resembled a circle with a wedge taken from it - the convention for representing market share, and thus a good symbol for the share of the luxury car market that each was trying to capture.

It's exciting, reading all these stories about my favorite car! Thanks for sharing! In 1990, I was just 9 years old, and wouldn't even know what an NSX was, until 10 years later, after I figured out Honda makes the best cars known to mankind.:D

Awesome thread! Mark tell us more...

I've lusted after this car since it came out and I still have a big grin on my face after every drive, even after 5 years of ownership. I can't even imagine what it would have been like if I could have afforded one in 90/91...

similar to one in NoCal where a dot com guy walks into the dealer w/shorts and no shoes and asks how much for the blue "T" on the showroom

Reminds of how John Carmack (of Quake/Doom fame) walked in and asked about the McLaren F1 when he was in England, but since he was in jeans he wasn't taken seriously. Too bad for them -- he was one of the few people who could have bought it without batting an eyelash. He ended up with a custom 1000hp twin turbo tessterosa instead.

Arshad said:
Carmack (of Quake/Doom fame) walked in and asked about the McLaren F1 when he was in England, but since he was in jeans he wasn't taken seriously. Too bad for them -- he was one of the few people who could have bought it without batting an eyelash. He ended up with a custom 1000hp twin turbo tessterosa instead. [/B]

Hmmm... it still does not sound like a good move to me going from the McLaren to the riced TR... :p ;)

Hello again. One last story to describe a little about what it was like to own one of the very first NSXs on the road.

You really had to be there to appreciate it, but I'll try and capture the scene the best I can.

It took me almost a month after purchasing the car before I was ready to drive it and LEAVE it parked somewhere! Up to that point I drove it, but never let it out of my sight. I was waaaaaaaay too paranoid. You should have seen all the attention it demanded. It was nuts.

Anyway, one day I decided to take a short trip with my NSX (and my wife!) and have lunch in Carmel. For those of you not familiar with Carmel, it's a small town near Pebble Beach. Exotic cars are a dime a dozen there. So I felt very comfortable that no one would vandalize the car.

My wife had not driven in the car very much and I kept telling her how many people would race up to me while driving just to stare and smile. I NEVER got anything but a big smile and thumbs up from everyone. But it was very weird for me (all the attention).

So while we're driving to Carmel, car after car would try and get close to catch a glimpse and my wife (who thought the car was nice, but no big deal) was finally realizing how much attention this car attracted!

We finally got there and I knew this one restaurant that had an outdoor area with a perfect view of the street, so I could keep tabs on my baby. This restaurant was also a block or so off the main drag (which is extremely busy with cars and pedestrians).

So we parallel park across the street from the restaurant and I rush inside to get a table that I can see the car from. I sit facing the car and my wife sits with her back to the car. Well after only a minute 3 people come walking up the street and stop at the car, pointing and gesturing at different parts of it. So I say to my wife, "See, I told you how much people loved the car" and she slowly turns around to look but now the people are walking away. So she looks at me like "Yeah, right". Another minute goes by and here come more people. They stop and stare and after after 30 seconds or so of watching them I tell my wife to look around because there's more people and when she does they start to walk away and now she's thinking I'm making up this stuff! Well, as more and more people stop and look I don't tell my wife any more, but I'm amazed at how almost every single person who walks by the car stops and stares at it. I'm now becoming a bit more comfortable in not having to watch the car constantly since all the people seem to be very respectful of the car.

It's now about 12:30 and the number of people going out to lunch is growing alot. More and more people are walking down the street, 99% of them stopping to look at the NSX. Well, as I watch, there starts to be a real crowd around the car. I mean, maybe 8 to 9 people. Young and old, men and women, everyone. I say to my wife that she should look and of course, she's getting really tired of this whole deal so I shut up for a minute. But that's all I could handle. I say to my wife "You REALLY have to see this. You REALLY have to look right now".

So she turns around to look and can't believe her eyes. We COULD NOT see the car any more! It was surrounded by probably TWENTY people! I'm not exaggerating. It was incredible. But too much for me. I left the table to go to the car and was treated like a freakin' celebrity. People asking me what kind of car it was, how fast it was, how much did it cost, who the heck I WAS!, etc. etc. But overall, they all had BIG smiles!

That's what I learned most -- the CAR somehow made people happy. It was an uplifting experience for most people just to be next to it. This car had the ability to make people (who didn't even own it) feel good!!!

That kind of attention lasted for maybe a year or two. It was insane.

Well, that's it for my "historical" perspective. I will NEVER sell this car. Ever.

Mark

PS. I will (however) try and remember to dig-out the original window sticker and give you the pricing details.

Mark Galarneau said:
PS. I will (however) try and remember to dig-out the original window sticker and give you the pricing details.
The sticker price on the NSX upon its introduction was $60,600 including $600 transportation charge. The MSRP increased by $1,000 base price partway through the 1991 model year (after January 1, I think). There were no factory-installed options.

Mark,

Just thought I would chime in and say thanks for the great stories. Back in 1990 I would have been one of those individuals drooling over your car. I still remember the first time I saw an NSX in real life. I, among many others, were crowding around the car.

Great stories!

great stories. my (ex)nsx had a sticker already described, but sold in 91 for 92k$.

blk/blk 91.

posts like this are what make me keep coming back to nsxprime, even though i dont currently own an nsx....

if you consider all the dynamics, it doesnt make sense that a site like nsxprime should be what it is.

I think much like the nsx "the sum is greater that the total of the parts".

Hey Mark..

Its been a while since you last posted, I was waiting for the Monterey Dinner you once told me :D.

How do you like the new suspension, I still want a ride in your TR :D

good to see you here again..

Last edited:
Hey Spartan2-3,

Sorry, but I've been going nuts at work and haven't had much time.

Anyway, the new Teins are really great. I haven't spent too much time trying different settings so far, but I think I might have to. It's set in the middle right now and makes for a really bumpy ride! We took it out for a wine tasting day in Napa and it actually wasn't too bad riding around all day. But I might try and soften it up a bit. You know, it's all a personal opinion on stuff like this.

Otherwise, I still get a big smile every time I take it out!

How about you?

Hey Mark,

I ended up with Bilsteins and Eibachs, I love them as they are not too stiff for daily use. I can feel a huge difference in high speed stability. Feels like slot car as the car doesnt sway even with OEM sway bars.

Tell us more stories about your first few years with the NSX as we find them very interesting :cool:

regards,

Sorry for the delay...

nsxtasy said:
You can also check the date of manufacture, which is on the sticker on the driver's side door jamb.
Based on your VIN, I'm guessing your car was probably manufactured in Spring 1991.

You're right!

It is written: 5 '91

more exactly: 5/ '91 :)

Mark Galarneau said:

But overall, they all had BIG smiles!

That's what I learned most -- the CAR somehow made people happy. It was an uplifting experience for most people just to be next to it. This car had the ability to make people (who didn't even own it) feel good!!!

Yeah! That's true! I experienced the same thing. This is why I say owning an NSX is actively making the world/people better and nicer!

During the first year I wrote down every people who took a spin with me:

over 70 different peoples!

Mark, about your NSX you wrote you will never sell it but would you exchange it for two others: the GT1 NSX plus another one of your choice ( except yours obviously! ) ? :)

Last edited:
I too am an original 1991 owner purchased brand spankin' new (actually bought Sept 1990). Vin number...000365.

Still have it! But don't drive it enough whatsoever. Wonderful car overall.

A few stories from the past:

Back then you had to put down a $10K deposit to get "in line". They would refund the money if you chose not to buy the car. No one would give you a firm price however. It was supposed to be in the $55K range.

I LUSTED after it for almost a year on the waiting list. There were 3 local dealers and I finally heard one of them was getting their first car so I rushed down hoping to catch a glimpse. When I got there they were taking it off the transporter. In horror I watched as two of the dealer employees absolutely tore through the parking lot with it even with all the plastic still around the fenders and on the wheels, seats, etc. Unbelievable! I was glad this wasn't the dealer I had my deposit with!

On my way home I got the call -- I was next in line to buy the first NSX from the dealership that had my deposit! The guy in front of me didn't want a red one, so he passed. They told me on the phone I could have it for $95K. $95K!??? I was totally depressed. After all this time I had to sit and watch as these car dealer bums were price gouging the heck out the the car. I hated them. So (almost in tears) I told them "where to stick it". I can't describe how hurt I was. How completely demorilizing it was. I had spent the previous year and a half of my life reading about and searching for and viewing the NSX as it made its way into production and to have my dream squashed by some slime-ball dealer was just too much.

So on my way home I had to pass by the 3rd local dealership and decided to stop in and see if they had received theirs yet. I had to see it one last time. I walked into the showroom and there it was, another red one. My heart sprang to life again, even though I had passed-up my turn a few minutes before at the other dealer. So what must have been the youngest, just-hired yesterday salesboy came up to me, and I looked at him and asked if the car was taken. To my shock he said no, the guy who was first in line wanted a black one. In a moment of pure adrenaline, I said "I'll take it." But I hadn't even looked at the price yet! So he (now in shock!) walks away to get the paperwork started and I (now feeling really stupid) decided to check out the sticker. $99K! I just added another $4K to the already ridiculous price! Didn't matter. This car had taken over my life. I couldn't live without it. It's as simple as that. I knowingly paid WAY too much but haven't had ONE minute of remorse.

As I heard more and more about the first batch of cars sold locally, I know there were two others that sold for $105K and one for $110K. If you had to have one of the first, you had to pay. But heck, it's only money!

I could go on and on but this is already too long. More stories later.

Mark

Great story, Mark. I always tell your story to anyone that asks about the NSX:biggrin:

3C4792BB-A736-4D90-B41E-08716BBAEECB-4549-000004192EC8A304.jpg

Back