• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Plasti-Dip Wheel Project

Hey Team,

So my birthday is coming up this weekend, along with the inaugural Cars & Coffee event at AutoMotorPlex here in Minneapolis (which is stunningly good if you haven't been there) so I thought I'd treat myself to a fresh color for my CS28N's - black. I've really enjoyed the bronze but am in need of some changes (mid-life crisis? YOU make the call).

IMG_2423.JPG

I grabbed a couple cans of standard black Plasti-Dip (same as used on the rear bumper) and the competitor's gloss coat, then went about getting them prepped for coating:

IMG_2425.JPG

Here's how they looked after a thorough cleaning inside and out:

IMG_2419.JPG

I used blue and masking tape to do the center caps and valve stems. I left the centers on because they are a serious pain to take off, and ever harder to put back on:

IMG_2420.JPG

IMG_2421.JPG

IMG_2422.JPG

I have a few dozen of these Adobe Photoshop resource guides around from a trade show I did, and found they are the perfect tire protector:

IMG_2424.JPG

IMG_2427.JPG

After the second coat a lot of bronze was still showing through:

IMG_2428.JPG

Well I found out that a complete coverage inside and out of these complex angle, stipple-finish wheels took 6 coats, 3 full cans of spray, and the better part of 2 days to complete - but it turned out pretty great:

IMG_2430.JPG

IMG_2431.JPG

IMG_2433.JPG

IMG_2434.JPG

IMG_2435.JPG

Overall I love the new look, and the satin finish left by a single coat of the gloss is excellent. If the finish proves to be too fragile, I'll likely get them painted like this.

Expect to see some additional updates in the not too distant future!

Wow looks great!

If you ever decide to paint them black permantly, consider just trading me for my gunmetal ones and paint those. I really want the bronze finish on my CE28Ns.

Looks great, I like the new color but keep an eye on that inside tire wear!

When and if you get bored of the black, you can do a quick spray with the pearlizer plasti dip
Right over the existing black and it will give it a cool gun metal look....I found that out while messing around with a license plate frame....

You didn't have issues with the PlastiDip ripping when you put the wheels back on? I had an issue with putting the lug nuts back on ripping the PlastiDip.

Ever think to plastic dip the acura hood and center light emblem? Would compliment the new look

Back