• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Polish burned in Finish

Little help here guys,

Last weekend I was doing the Zaino routine and after applying Z2, I got an important phone call I had to take. I was stuck on the phone no more than 10 minutes. Unfortunately, the NSX was out in the sun during that time. I was supposed to pull her in the garage and remove the polish. When I was done with the phone, I tried to buff off the haze.

Normally, with Zaino products, it's very easy to buff off the haze. One wipe and most of the haze is off. Another wipe should remove any and all residue. Not this time. It was like the haze was glued to the car. It took lots of elbow grease to remove the haze. I had to wet a towel and press hard to get the polish off. It was a miserable experience. I don't know if having a orbital buffer would have helped or not.

I applied Z5 finishing polish and buffed that off. It didn't come off as well as I hoped. This polish seemed to stick to the car, though not nearly as the last. One thing to add. The polish I used is at least 1.5 years old. They've just been sitting in my garage since I don't use them very frequently and there's plenty to last a while giving at least a dozen or so polishes. Can polish or Zaino polish "spoil" over time?

The end result? The car didn't look that much better than before I polished her. There was a shine from a distance, though nothing special. Worse, when in the sun or certain lighting, you can see the haze of the polish as though it burned into the paint's finish.

I'm hoping that a professional detailer can get the polish "stains" off. I'm guessing that this has never happened to anyone else. Just my luck I suppose.:rolleyes:

Man... I don't even know what to say.. I have honestly NEVER polished ANY of my vehicles in the sun. Ever. Not even when they were in the shade but still hot. I always let them cool.

I think you can reapply the same material and then remove it as usuall and it should remove the baked on layer.

Not sure if this will help you or not but have you tried clay magic?

Man... I don't even know what to say.. I have honestly NEVER polished ANY of my vehicles in the sun. Ever. Not even when they were in the shade but still hot. I always let them cool.

Haha, well...I only have a one car garage which also houses my motorcycle. There's enough room to do all but one side of my car. Also, I started rather early in the morning (0845) and it wasn't that hot then. I pulled her out the garage to finish the one side I couldn't get to, then the phone called my attention. Ten minutes later....Doh!!

Not sure if this will help you or not but have you tried clay magic?

I thought of this as well. I think I'm just going to let a professional detailer take it from here. This incident took up nearly my entire Saturday. Starting at 0845 and didn't finish till 1830 :frown: To strip the wax, clay bar the entire car, and start from scratch will take at least an entire weekend.

First off to settle any confusion. Although Zaino calls there Z5/Z2 a polish it is not. It is a sealant.

The only real abrasive polishing type of product they make is the ZPC (Fusion) which is a micro diminishing abrasive, very mild and safe for paints.

To the sealant sit on the car in the sun is not wise for any product line, even if they say it can be applied in the sun. Even if it's 70 degrees out, the surface temp of the car could easiliy be 110-120 at least.

Also did you claybar the car before applying the Zaino?
Any contamination remaining on the surface can interfer with any sealant/wax sticking to the surface.

I think to remove it, you'll need to at least clay the car again and possibly have to machine polish it.

Whoever your detailer is, you should let them know most NSX's have extremely soft paint.

If you're having Todd take care of it, then I wouldn't worry. He'll do whatever it takes to make it absolutely 100% perfect again.

Josh

First off to settle any confusion. Although Zaino calls there Z5/Z2 a polish it is not. It is a sealant.

The only real abrasive polishing type of product they make is the ZPC (Fusion) which is a micro diminishing abrasive, very mild and safe for paints.

To the sealant sit on the car in the sun is not wise for any product line, even if they say it can be applied in the sun. Even if it's 70 degrees out, the surface temp of the car could easiliy be 110-120 at least.

Also did you claybar the car before applying the Zaino?
Any contamination remaining on the surface can interfer with any sealant/wax sticking to the surface.

I think to remove it, you'll need to at least clay the car again and possibly have to machine polish it.

Whoever your detailer is, you should let them know most NSX's have extremely soft paint.

If you're having Todd take care of it, then I wouldn't worry. He'll do whatever it takes to make it absolutely 100% perfect again.

Josh

Thanks Josh...I will be calling him this week to set up an appointment.

Re: shelf life of Zaino, from the Zaino website:

Q: What is the usable shelf life of Zaino products?

A: A 70° room temperature is best for the longevity of Zaino products. Due to the optical additives used, extreme heat or cold can result in a decrease in gloss-enhancing properties.

When stored at average room temperature between 65° and 75° degrees, shelf life is as follows:

Z-PC 3+ years
Z-AIO 3+ years
Z-CS 5+ years
Z-1 For optimum results, use before 3 years.
Z-2 For optimum results, use before 3 years.
Z-3 For optimum results, use before 3 years.
Z-5 For optimum results, use before 3 years.
Z-6 5+ years
Z-7 5+ years
Z-8 5+ years
Z-9 5+ years
Z-10 For optimum results, use before 2 years.
Z-12 For optimum results, use before 2 years.
Z-14 For optimum results, use before 2 years.
Z-16 3 to 5 years
Z-18 5 years +
ZFX For optimum results, keep tightly capped, avoiding moisture. Use before 24 months.

Have your products gone through a temperature cycle from summer to winter? Allowing them to freeze would affect the life of the product. Ask me how I know.

(When entering the reply I couldn't see that you were in Florida, so freezing is not an issue. However, hot temps in the garage might be.)

I've applied Zaino (Z-2, Z-5) in direct sunlight with no ill effects (on the RSX which is silver, I wouldn't attempt it on my NSX). I'm guessing here you might not be applying the Zaino thin enough? You should barely be able to see it when applied correctly.

I'd go over the car with Z-6 detailing spray which should help in removing the product. And as mentioned by others, if that doesn't do it, go over it with clay.

Good responses by Lunchman and Joshvette.

Most products will be ok if stored in higher temps in the bottle, you just need to shake it up to mix it well. On the other hand, most detailing products are no good after they freeze as the chemicals separate and in most cases will not mix again.

Most detailing products have some solvents that keep them soft and allows you time to work them into your paint. If you get a dried clump of detailing product that's hard to get off, try adding a little more of that detailing product to that spot and the solvents will melt away at that clump allowing you to easily remove it. Same goes for carnauba waxes that are hard to get off when too thick a layer has dried on your paint.

Also, any chemical that you let dry in the sun can possibly leave a haze or stain. Using a good paint cleanser/polish can be helpful in removing that haze if it's not just a build up of the product.

Careful when claying to remove such haze since the claying process can promote scratches if done too aggressively.

Happy detailing.

So much muss and fuss! This is the 21st century. Free yourselves from your self imposed slavery to overpriced ancient car care products and drive around until you find one of these.......

659fa982-3625-471d-a920-a2b20abd6a43.jpg

So much muss and fuss! This is the 21st century. Free yourselves from your self imposed slavery to overpriced ancient car care products and drive around until you find one of these.......

659fa982-3625-471d-a920-a2b20abd6a43.jpg

Awesome, I'd like to just walk through one of those, add some suds and I'm clean.....:biggrin:

You should contact Zaino directly with this question. I've e-mailed Sal Zaino once or twice and ALWAYS gotten a response from them. They seem to be great guys and are really knowledgeable about their products, and very helpful. For problems like this, go directly to the source!

Back