• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Poll, New HSC

What do you think Honda should do for the 2nd Gen NSX / HSC

• Use a 3.5l, Turbo: 500hp, 2800lb curb wt.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • Use a 3.5l i-Vtec, NA: 400hp, 2750lb c.w.

Votes: 34 46.6%
  • Develop a V8 i-Vtec, NA: 500 hp, 3200lb c.w.

Votes: 20 27.4%
  • Just build the Dual Note hybrid

Votes: 4 5.5%

• Total voters
I think there is no way on earth a V8 would weight nearly 500 lbs more.

I think it should be v8 and 3000 lbs max.

if they are going keep the next version of the nsx for as long as they did the first version, then i'll go with the v8. but if they are going to update the car every 3-4 years, then i'm good with the 6 cyl 400hp car.

Personally I think it is suicide to not update the car every 4-5 years.

That is what killed the NSX sales IMO. The competition got faster and better, the NSX stayed the same.

I think the NSX sales would be different if it had been:

91-94 coupe 3.0 270
95-99 3.2 NSX-T 290
2000-2004 refresh with 350 HP i-VTEC 3.5L V6
2005 HSC -- 900 HP quad turbo AWD. ;)

Around 500 HP seems to be the norm in that range of sports car, if the HSC is competing with the likes of Gallardo, Modena etc... It would be unique if the NSX replacement would rev to 10,000. Hey the S2000 pre-04 could rev to 9000 whats a 1000 more :)

CJB said:
Around 500 HP seems to be the norm in that range of sports car, if the HSC is competing with the likes of Gallardo, Modena etc... It would be unique if the NSX replacement would rev to 10,000. Hey the S2000 pre-04 could rev to 9000 whats a 1000 more :)

If the HSC revved to 10K rpm, it would be no fun at all on the street and would have little to no low end tq. I don't think that is what we want. Honda even lowed the RPM on the S2000 for that very reason.

Honda should match the 911 not the Lotus Esprit, as far as how much time goes between refreshes.

I think a super lightweight V6 with cutting edge styling is my first choice....(maybe because I'll bet that Honda won't develop a V8 for environmental, weight, and development costs).

I would love to see a lightweight V8, with a curb weight around 3000lbs. It would put the nsx in it's own class as a halo car, above the 911, and below true supercars (enzo, mclaren, etc.)....maybe being in it's own class doomed the original nsx as far as sales go...I don't mind, I would rather not see my car all over the place like 911's, vette's, f 360's.

NetViper said:
If the HSC revved to 10K rpm, it would be no fun at all on the street and would have little to no low end tq. I don't think that is what we want. Honda even lowed the RPM on the S2000 for that very reason.
But the 2.0L S2000 had no low end torque to begin with, as opposed to a 3.5L V6, so I think it'll still be fun on the street. Also, S2000 has the "old" VTEC for top end whereas i-VTEC has much more low-mid range tq. Anyway, I'd gladly give up a little low end tq for 10,000rpm!

NSXmadness said:
But the 2.0L S2000 had no low end torque to begin with, as opposed to a 3.5L V6, so I think it'll still be fun on the street. Also, S2000 has the "old" VTEC for top end whereas i-VTEC has much more low-mid range tq. Anyway, I'd gladly give up a little low end tq for 10,000rpm!

I don't think making an engine that revs so highly would be a good idea. You'll be stuck using first and second gear only. And they can't make the gears too short because that will make every day driving a real burden. They have to make a balanced judgement. 8,000 RPM is enough already

How come there is no V10 in the list?

Everyone is going for the V10 setup. Honda should stick to market standards or better them, not come out short. A V8 will look old class

Honda lowered the red line due to warranty problems, too many people downshifting and overrevving the motor, with redline 1000 RPM lower problem solved.

Back