• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Portable Hoist

Just thought I would post this product in case any other DIYer is interested. Makes for a nice socking stuffer for christmas!

The website is: www.autoequipment.net. Click on 'web specials'

The hoist is manufactured by Ravaglioli in Italy ( www.ravaglioli ) and is imported by Capital Automotive Inc in Canada. The price is $1790 USD for model# KP 153P ( air-hydraulic operation ) and comes complete with protective saddle covers and removable tow-bar. There is also a electro-hydraulic model available as well ( KP 153 )

General Specifications
Weight: 638 lbs
Lowered Height: 4"
Maximum Lift Height: 40"
Lift Capacity: 4,400 Ibs

If anyone is interested, please call Michael Smith at 613-822-3454. Sorry, but I just bought the last one Mike had in stock. You'll have to ask him when the next shipment is expected. Mike also e-mailed me a couple of .jpg images depicting a 911 Targa perched on top of the KP 153 at its maximum height. A 6'4" tall mechanic is standing next to the 911 to give you a visual perspective on how high a vehicle can be lifted. I would have attached the images to this thread, but I have'nt got a glue on how to do it. Best approach is to e-mail me [[email protected]] or Mike [[email protected]] and either one of us will gladly forward them to any interested party.

sjs,

The mfg's specs claim 4" but I measured just under 4.5" with the protective ( rubber ) saddle covers installed. They may have spec'd it w/o the covers. My '91 NSX has stock suspension/tires, thus I was fortunate to have enough clearance but it was'nt much tough ( perhaps 1/4" at best ) so you need to be very careful. It's much safer IMO, to maneuver the hoist under the car rather than drive the car over the hoist. In your case, you would definitely need to drive your NSX onto something that would allow you the extra clearance. For example, a low cost solution could be to cut-up four 2"x8" sections ( or something to that effect ) and drive on top of them and then slide the hoist under the car.

Originally posted by GreatWhiteNorth:
sjs,

The mfg's specs claim 4" but I measured just under 4.5" with the protective ( rubber ) saddle covers installed. They may have spec'd it w/o the covers. My '91 NSX has stock suspension/tires, thus I was fortunate to have enough clearance but it was'nt much tough ( perhaps 1/4" at best ) so you need to be very careful. It's much safer IMO, to maneuver the hoist under the car rather than drive the car over the hoist. In your case, you would definitely need to drive your NSX onto something that would allow you the extra clearance. For example, a low cost solution could be to cut-up four 2"x8" sections ( or something to that effect ) and drive on top of them and then slide the hoist under the car.

Yea, I already have the planks. I need them just to get a regular floor jack under it. But maneuvering a 650 pound hoist under a car in tight quarters doesn't sound simple.

sjs,

Maneuvering the hoist is a fairly easy task as long as you have the room inside the garage and that your garage floor surface is relatively smooth. If your floor appears as if a B52 just dropped a load of cluster bombs on it, or if you have to move the hoist outside the garage area onto your driveway, then yeh, it will take considerable effort to move it. In my case, I have a 3-car garage and my floors have 2 coats of epoxy cement paint, hence, I had no difficulties at all.

You can certainly drive over the hoist using your planks as long as the planks run the full length of the hoist and that they are high enough to allow adequate clearance ( at least 1" IMO ) for the hoist. In my case, I recall only having about 1/2" clearance so I decided not to risk it and rolled the hoist under the car instead of driving over it simply because I had the luxury of space to do so.

Back