• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Power steering and a footwell sub

On various threads, I have seen people discuss what to do about the power-steering amp in the passenger footwell when replacing the OE sub. It seems that it would be possible to leave it there and build the sub on top of it (just like the OE sub), move it up to directly under the glove box, or move it somewhere else (new wires).

I don't like the idea of modifying the wiring to the PS amp so I'd like to either leave it in place or lift it to the bottom of the glove box. I don't see much advantage in moving it since the airspace for the sub can use either spot. And I doubt there is much of a heat-transfer concern, considering the original location is tucked under a sub and carpet.

I'm looking for as much detail as possible on what others have done, including any tips or pictures. Thanks.

For my build I stripped down to here;

Then simpy laid foil and glassed over that;

Built a basic baffle to take up the rest of the space

Made sure the carpet still covered it;

And then secured them together. This is it before glassing;

Added a 2nd baffle, then routered it all to size. It ended up being just enough airspace for a Kenwood Excelon 8" slim. Stuffed with Blackhole Stuff and running on 150wrms and it sounds nice
And before pressing in the grill. Simply perforated steel on an MDF ring;

Stuffing a deeper 8" or a 10" would certainly be worth relocating it. However, I'm a fairly heavy basshead and find that this setup is enough for me in the car. Especially with the windows up and top on, it's got a decent kick. If you're willing to do box on top of the factory carpet then you end up with all the space in the world.. but I didn't like that look, so that's why I build it to hide under the factory carpet completely.

Back