• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Proof that Ferraris are Crap!

Ken, Homestead disallowed anti-freeze during the weekend running in conjunction with the Grand-Am Race series. I am not sure if Homestead made this call or Grand-Am. This is the only time I have experienced it.

Bob

NSXGeek! said:
The glycol mix is needed only when the car will see freezing temps to reduce damage from freezing.
If I remember basic chemistry from high school, additives that lower the freezing point also raise the boiling point, something that would be useful at a track event.

What are the boiling points of water-glycol compared to distilled water-water wetter?

I had driven a 348 Spyder and guess what what color was the puddle underneath the car?

It's Green! I guess when the car is very hot it tends to leaks coolant :eek: Personally I found the car to be a piece of junk with squeeks and rattles at low milages :confused: I agree with nsxtasy and this thread may be informative when some of you are thinking about the 348.

This is the only Ferrari i have drove so no comments on others :smile:

Hrant said:
I like this policy if am a track organizer and facing several older cars on the track!
Aside from the fact that it is rare for most cars to leak coolant, there are two reasons for not implementing such a policy - one philosophical, one practical.

The philosophy behind drivers schools is that you can take any well-maintained car out onto the racetrack without any special preparation. As long as all the routine maintenance is up to date, and a few items (brake fluid and pads) get changed a bit more frequently than for street use, and nothing is loose or likely to fail, you can take the car out onto the track. This philosophy is abrogated with the requirement for two additional services specifically for the track event that would not otherwise be necessary - the first, to drain the coolant and replace it with water before the event, and the second after the event, to put coolant back into the car.

The practical consideration is that the need for these two additional services is a deterrent (and, from what I observed at the FCA meet, a fairly strong one) to participation in the event. There are quite a few owners who simply will not take their cars out onto the track if these additional services are required. So, from a marketing and budgetary point of view, such a policy could very well be detrimental to the event.

Hrant said:
As for overheating, quite a few NSXs that are tracked have reported overheating as well
Absolutely not true. The simple fact is, the overwhelming majority of NSXs never overheat, even on the racetrack. Sure, there are a few exceptions - which is why we hear about them on NSXprime, because they are so uncommon - but they are usually caused by improper maintenance or other problems not inherent in the car itself, such as the damage that Steven may have done to his radiator, the probable cause of his overheating problem as reported here.

1BADNSX said:
Homestead disallowed anti-freeze during the weekend running in conjunction with the Grand-Am Race series.
Race series (competition events) have a lot of rules that differ from those for street cars in HPDE events; fluid requirements are just one area and there are lots of others. This is the first time I've heard of this rule being used in an HPDE event.

I love threads like this where it's everybody vs. NSXTASY... and he holds his ground. How come there's only 900 view hits and we've had zero trolls -- hasn't anybody posted this on the f-chat forums yet? ;)

nuccaJB said:
Ouch, everyone is getting so serious. I find it funny on prime how sometimes jokes go by no sweat, then other days everyone is pissed off. :confused: People rag on the NSX all the time on other boards and I don't really notice NSXers getting super mad about it. Almost any Corvette guy will list twenty reasons why his car is better the instant you say NSX. I have a patient that I told about how I want an NSX, he instantly lists off every little problem he knows about the NSX and how all these other things about Corvettes are better. Most F-car owners probably laugh about the NSX being a Japanese Ferrari, they probably have some respect for the car, but they think we are dreaming. As nsxtasy said SARCASM!

Very good post.

kenjiMR said:
AFAIK, we are not allowed use coolant in our Honda Challenge races either... only water.
It really makes sense for a purpose-built track car, but people are forgetting the entire reason hpde's exist. the idea was to just drive your street-car to the track, then drive on the track without changing anything. The more prep work and modification you ask people to do, the less likely they are to participate

Back