• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Prospective buyer - general questions

Contrarily, I would not hesitate to own this car out of warranty. Not in the least. Had my 1991 for over 20 years, supercharged, intake, exhaust, etc. Close to 200,000km. All I did was basic maintenance. Didn't burn a drop of oil. Ran like new when I sold it.

Not to hijack the Op's thread but a similar question - Would you buy or keep the NC1 without the factory warranty? As a prospective buyer myself I am seeing a lot of 17s hitting the market with the four year warranty expired.

There is no option to buy extended warranty from Acura here in Canada. I have tried ample times and Acura Canada is adamant on not offering any extended warranty on the NSX. Baffling to say the least.
I plan on keeping my NSX for at least 10 years, assuming I'm still physically able to get in and out of it. My dealer offered an aftermarket extended warranty last year. I considered it, but ended up not buying. Figured with the cost of the plan and deductible, something would have to go seriously wrong with the car for it to be worth it. The highest mileage NSX is over 80k miles, more than I could ever put on my car. So I'm not too worried.

I just don't get the warranty fixation. On a macro level, insurance companies pay out in claims about half the premiums they take in. It's how they make their huge profits. Insurance --and a warranty is just insurance by another name-- is statistically a scam. Don't let a scam drive your car choices. Buy the f@*#&# car already and enjoy your life.

I was planning on getting the extended warranty

Around the same time the new car warranty was expiring, I added the LC500 Convertible to the team

I figured the NSX has been rock solid other than the 12V battery giving up at just under 4 years of service

Based on my history of Honda products not leaving me hosed I just ended up skipping the extended warranty purchase and used the money on the second set of wheels for the Lexus

On the flip side, if something major croaked, it would be a drag to get hit with a 5 figure repair bill

I don't see expended warranty programs for exotic cars as a scam, just a math exercise

Pay me now for the opportunity to avoid paying me later were something to go wrong

In Ferrari world, the dual clutch trannies have a spotty record, anyone buying a used California would want an extended warranty

I kind of think the issue in Canada is that there are so few of the cars in the country, it may not be worthwhile to put a product together

I would have hated paying for the repairs (except they were recalls) that were required if my NSX had been out of warranty.

Yes, recalls and TSB repairs are no cost

I think the point is, if Honda didn't step up to the plate for us and the gas tanks/connectors failed out of warranty, that would have been a less than pretty bill

Yes, recalls and TSB repairs are no cost

I think the point is, if Honda didn't step up to the plate for us and the gas tanks/connectors failed out of warranty, that would have been a less than pretty bill

Yes, agreed. I have heard of rare instances of electronics going awry in this thing and the dash lighting up like a Christmas tree. With such a complex drivetrain, any repairs outside of warranty will not be cheap.

All super car manufacturers are offering CPO and extended warranties on their cars including Mclaren, Audi (R8) and of course Porsche is renowned for their CPOs.

It is sad that outside of the US, this car is more of a 'sell it and forget it' product for Acura and sales show it as well.

The OEM warranty is 4 years and/or 50,000 miles. The power train warranty is 6 years and/or 70,000 miles. The hybrid warranty in the Western States is 8 years and/or 100,000 miles. I would venture we are driving dam good reliable cars. Funny the guy who I purchased my car from bought a McLaren 720S and he told me he was having to purchase an extended warranty as his car is problematic. So I am happy that I am a nerd who prefers Honda Quality to the “Brands”.

The full on PPF would add about $5k.

Sounds like a good price to me.

For $159k(out the door) you are paying almost base price and getting all the goodies thrown in plus taxes and fees..

I paid the same (except I had to pay the taxes and fees) on my 2017 but it only had 600 miles on it.

I need to drive mine more, I looked at the mileage and here it is 4 years later and I have about 4k miles on it.

Ok, so I was incorrect in my earlier post. It was $158 plus 6.5% in state taxes (I misunderstood seller). Anyway, I am super excited!!! because I still pulled the trigger today. Hopefully still a good deal....I will pick-up Sat.

Quick update, on my drive back to Ohio...OMG!!! I'm in love! This car is insane!..to be continued ��

OMG I'm in love says it all 💕

Thrilled for you ...mine is still so new it is a huge (wonderful) surprise every time I open the garage door. Nice!!

OMG I'm in love says it all 💕

Thrilled for you ...mine is still so new it is a huge (wonderful) surprise every time I open the garage door. Nice!!

Thank you. It's an incredible machine and work of art quite honestly. I'm just feeling very grateful right now...I will post some pics soon.

I don't understand how NSX owners can keep their mileage low?! :biggrin: I seriously want to do nothing but drive this thing and put mileage on it lol

cjeezy: Congratulations on your purchase! And I fully understand your wanting to put some mileage on the car. When I got my 2017 NSX 6 months ago it had 9.6K miles on it and now it has 16.2K miles and I've been enjoying it immensely! My car was an Acura CPO vehicle and so the warranty was extended by 2 years and mileage to 100K. I just had full the 15K service done although the computer told me that just service A was due. This service included a full check up, oil and filter change, new air filters and new pollen filters. It cost just over $1K at the local Acura dealership. I don't baby my car and have even taken it to Irwindale Speedway twice and put a total of 18 1/8 mile runs on it there. I've had zero problems with the car other than picking up nail near the sidewall of one of the rear tires which came with the car - Michelin Pilot 4Ss. This happened at 13.2K miles and I decided to get a new set of tires rather than replace just one and went with the Continentals that Acura uses on the 2019 and newer NSX's figuring they might be responsible for a good chunk of their 0 to 60 mph figure being revised from 3.0 secs to 2.7 secs. And this was confirmed with my VBox times - which went from the 3.2 sec range with considerable tire spin down to a best of 2.82 sec. The NSX is my favorite to drive out of the 6 vehicles I currently have and I am not afraid to put miles on it. I think the car is extremely well made and will prove to be reliable.

Last edited:
On an unrelated note, mine came with a NSX duffle bag w/car cover, NSX carbon fiber money clip, NSX carbon fiber pen, and a battery tender! Not sure if those items are standard, but very cool!

Only freebie gifts I know of were the money clip and small bag that could fit in the glove box. Early cars also came with a model car that mimicked the full size one.
The dealer gave me the battery tender so that was nice as a gift.

Nice score on the other items!

Last edited:
After delivery Acura was sequencing gifts such as the car model (replaced by the pen), the CF money clip, the travel kit.

Which dealer in IL did you work with?

On an unrelated note, mine came with a NSX duffle bag w/car cover, NSX carbon fiber money clip, NSX carbon fiber pen, and a battery tender! Not sure if those items are standard, but very cool!

Mine came with a duffel bag/car cover, no drill license plate mount, a pen, 2 - jackets, 2 - hats so far. Can’t wait for the CF money clip and travel kit. When do those usually come?

Mine came with a duffel bag/car cover, no drill license plate mount, a pen, 2 - jackets, 2 - hats so far. Can’t wait for the CF money clip and travel kit. When do those usually come?

I thought the money clip and travel kit were annual items.

It sounds like your dealer kicked in a big swag collection for you.

My dealer did a professional photo shoot of the car and gave me a mounted picture which has a second smaller picture of the serial build number plaque from the engine cover.

Acura was also sending short factory videos, imitating your car being built.

I sent you a PM? Are you interested in selling the OEM car cover? It is a interior only cover.

Back