• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Prospective buyer - general questions

Hi everyone,

First post, but have been a huge NSX fan for many, many years!

So after a lot of searching I found a 2019, with every option I want (carbon fiber interior/exterior, ceramic brakes, ELS, new tires, full PPF on car, two-tone interior color, etc.) for around $158 out the door.

It's a 2-owner vehicle with 9,000 miles. I was looking at maintenance schedule and it doesn't look like much to do at 10K, but at 15K seems like a bit more. My questions are, will there be substantial maintenance needing done soon? Does this seem like a decent deal? What questions should I ask before buying it? Should I search for a lower mileage one (I plan to drive 3K-4K miles/yr). Any input would be very appreciated!

EDIT: I just realized there is a prospective buyer section in the forums so if a mod wants to move this, I apologive for posting in the wrong spot.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I am assuming that $158k out the door includes tax and lic fees which depending on State can total near 10%. As for maintenance, there is little to do other than oil changes once per year at $400 plus flush the brake fluid every two years. I don't recall anything major at 15k. Perhaps air filters and internal cabin filters. They are not too expensive. That is about it that I can recall. If this is from a dealer than is it a CPO car? If private party you still have at least 3 years of warranty remaining bumper to bumper. The 2019 has some improvement over the previous cars with respect to tires, sway bars, software updates to front motors and struts.

The full on PPF would add about $5k.

Sounds like a good price to me.

For $159k(out the door) you are paying almost base price and getting all the goodies thrown in plus taxes and fees..

I paid the same (except I had to pay the taxes and fees) on my 2017 but it only had 600 miles on it.

I need to drive mine more, I looked at the mileage and here it is 4 years later and I have about 4k miles on it.

I am assuming that $158k out the door includes tax and lic fees which depending on State can total near 10%. As for maintenance, there is little to do other than oil changes once per year at $400 plus flush the brake fluid every two years. I don't recall anything major at 15k. Perhaps air filters and internal cabin filters. They are not too expensive. That is about it that I can recall. If this is from a dealer than is it a CPO car? If private party you still have at least 3 years of warranty remaining bumper to bumper. The 2019 has some improvement over the previous cars with respect to tires, sway bars, software updates to front motors and struts.
Thank you! Yes, the 158K includes everything. It's at a small shop that has a dozen or so exotics but no CPO (they don't even offer financing). I will be financing part but my lender is saying they only finance if purchased at a "dealer"...so hopefully they consider this shop a dealership (will confirm tomorrow)...

Regarding the maintenance, I haven't been able to find the official schedule yet, I just looked online and the 10,000 maintenance from kbb was showing (not sure if this is accurate or not):

Maintenance Minder B (Engine Oil and Filter Change with Acura Inspections)

Maintenance Minder 1 (Inspect tire condition)

Maintenance Minder 2 (Air, Dust and Pollen Filter Replacement)

Maintenance Minder 3 (Transmission and Clutch Fluid)

Maintenance Minder 4 (Spark Plug and Intake Sound Control Replacement)

Maintenance Minder 5 (Engine Coolant Replacement)

Maintenance Minder 6 (Replace Twin Motor Unit fluid)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Thank you for the reply. So 9K miles wouldn't scare you on this car?

Thank you! Yes, the 158K includes everything. It's at a small shop that has a dozen or so exotics but no CPO (they don't even offer financing). I will be financing part but my bank/lender is saying they only finance if purchased at a "dealer"...so hopefully they consider them a dealership (I will confirm tomorrow).

Regarding the maintenance, I haven't been able to find the official schedule yet, I just looked online and the 10,000 maintenance from kbb was showing:

Maintenance Minder B (Engine Oil and Filter Change with Acura Inspections)
Maintenance Minder 1 (Inspect tire condition)
Maintenance Minder 2 (Air, Dust and Pollen Filter Replacement)
Maintenance Minder 3 (Transmission and Clutch Fluid)
Maintenance Minder 4 (Spark Plug and Intake Sound Control Replacement)
Maintenance Minder 5 (Engine Coolant Replacement)
Maintenance Minder 6 (Replace Twin Motor Unit fluid)

9k miles would be a lifetime for me the amount I drive per year.LOL

The things that would have affected my buying was my credit union said if it was out of state, they wouldn't finance it.

It wasn't, so WHOO HOO!

You should have about 3 years of warranty left.

I would check to see if it qualifies for a warranty extension which I would buy if/when available.

I heard it is about $5k.

Who would I check with re: warranty extension?

The warranty extension should only be purchased close to the end of your initial warranty. It does not add on but replaces. As for the things you listed as maintenance items they only show up if your particular car requires those items to be done. Our cars have built in algorithms that determine when certain things should be done. Norman who has been a NSX Trained Tech for the NSX from 91 through the current year at Gold Coast Acura in Ventura, CA for the last 35 years, says other than flushing the brake fluid every two years and changing the oil and oil filter every year leave the other stuff to the computer. I listed the maintenance schedule for our cars in this forum. My 2017 now has 9500 miles (I added 5000 in the last year and a half. And it is almost broken in.

Attachments

• Maintenance Schedule 2017 NSX in miles and KM.pdf
    158.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Mine is at just over 9,800 miles and rock solid. I follow the same schedule as [MENTION=6718]drmanny3[/MENTION]. I’m slightly past due for my yearly oil change but it’s not an issue. Think I’m hearing more burbling and rumble in the exhaust when I back off the gas. Sounds great. All stock in S+. Guess it’s breaking in!

If you look at what people do with their earlier NSXs you will find folks are adding superchargers or turbocharger when they have over 150,000 mile on the car. While I don't know whether or not the NC1 will hold up as well as the earlier generation, thus far it appears to be the case. When other people start figuring this out, they will be the go to supercar.

The seller is saying it's beem "serviced." Outside of oil change and maybe brake fluid flush, anything else I should look for? Is there any way to tell how many times it has been launched?

You can take the vin number and go to a Acura Dealership and ask the service manager to check what has been done to the car. I doubt that a non Acura Dealer changed the oil. It is a tedious process. They can tell you who did what, or whether a recall is still in need of resolution. Don’t take someone’s word for what was done.

Not sure if it is accurate, or correct, but I remember reading somewhere a while back that there were approximately 400 launches that could be done before transmission work would be needed. Again not sure if it was accurate or not.

At one time the story was that the car could handle 400 launches before the clutches needed replacement. I now understand that info was incorrect. Personally, I would not worry at all. You can try and contact the previous owners. The guy I purchased from had never used launch control in 4000 miles. I have never used it in the last 5000 miles. If you are unsure about the car take it to a Acura Dealer for a PPI who has a qualified NSX tech. I did that with my car before purchasing.

Thanks everyone for all of the valuable advice! This whole process has been exciting, and hopefully I get to post soon about an NSX purchase!

My experience with the NSX so far: Just passed 4 years of ownership (bought new) and 46,000 km. I've done all the servicing myself, which consisted of yearly oil and filter changes, replacement of the cabin and air filters, and changing the TMU fluid. There is no set time or mileage schedule for the car, just like with all of Honda vehicles. Maintenance is based on the Maintenance Minder, and will vary based on how you drive. This may be different in other markets like Europe, but if you are in North America, you can disregard the time and mileage intervals. The exceptions are: changing the oil annually if the MM doesn't indicate a change before then, and changing the brake fluid every three years, regardless of mileage. I am overdue for a brake fluid change, and will be doing it soon, once this heat wave passes.

For me, the highest running cost by far is insurance, at nearly $13,000. Next is fuel: 4665 L and over $7000. Servicing is cheap because I DIY. Parts are reasonable, or they would be if I could find a decent Canadian company that sold OEM Acura parts for less than outrageous prices.

Car has been reliable, with the only issues being dash rattles and a passenger door handle that didn't retract properly. That was fixed with a squirt of silicone lube spray. Just like a typical Honda. Don't worry too much about the mileage of that car.

Just want to say how happy I am to see our Gen2 Mods and members helping out here- that's what NSX Prime is all about!

This is one of the few supercars that can handle many many launches with little harm to the clutch as much of the strain is absorbed by the electric motors at launch.

Good luck with your search/purchase adventure

I have had mine over 4 1/2 years and about 13,500 miles.

There are a range of maintenance approaches.

My car has had one oil and filter change, at around 8,000 miles.

No other fluids have been changed and neither has the cabin air filter.

My servicing dealer says just go by the car's computer regarding oil and filter.

My car is used year round in Chicago and goes into the service bay at least twice a year for the winter/summer wheel and tire swaps (i.e. the tech has had plenty of chances to look at the car to see if something is required).

No track time, no launches.

The 12v battery required replacement (under warranty) just under 4 years on the job, and that is pretty typical for this car/battery.

Not to hijack the Op's thread but a similar question - Would you buy or keep the NC1 without the factory warranty? As a prospective buyer myself I am seeing a lot of 17s hitting the market with the four year warranty expired.

There is no option to buy extended warranty from Acura here in Canada. I have tried ample times and Acura Canada is adamant on not offering any extended warranty on the NSX. Baffling to say the least.

Not to hijack the Op's thread but a similar question - Would you buy or keep the NC1 without the factory warranty? As a prospective buyer myself I am seeing a lot of 17s hitting the market with the four year warranty expired.

There is no option to buy extended warranty from Acura here in Canada. I have tried ample times and Acura Canada is adamant on not offering any extended warranty on the NSX. Baffling to say the least.

Personally I would not own this car without warranty. Have you looked at any aftermarket providers - Fidelity for example?

Back