• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Question about halogen (HID?) headlights

Z18

Contributing Member
This may have been covered a million times -- I apologize.

I would like to do ONE upgrade to my Zanardi.

I would like to replace its headlights with Halogen/HID/whatever you call them so they are as bright and illuminating as my other cars.

I'd like to do this with as little hassle as possible and basically be invisible to the car until I pop the headlights up (e.g. I don't want to change pop-ups or anything else).

Advice? I'm ready to order, but also need someone to help install as I am mechanically... umm... really bad.

(I'm in the North San Diego Area).

-Z18
www.sportandtrack.com

ChopsJazz said:
Halogen is a standard bulb.

HID is the brighter gas discharge lamp that you want.

Cool, thanks for the education. Someone told me old lamps were pre-halogen and the new ones were halogen. Apparently there has been more than one jump in tech in recent years :)

Z18 said:
Advice? I'm ready to order, but also need someone to help install as I am mechanically... umm... really bad.

(I'm in the North San Diego Area).
You're fortunate - you live close to Nick's shop. Call him - for this and for all your NSX service needs.

HID lamps are great, but they do not operate in the same manner as a standard halogen. The HID lamps uses a high voltage ballast and cannot be switched on and off like a regular lamp. The HID lamps take about 10 seconds to come up to temperature and brightness. If you switch them off you have to wait for a while (30 seconds) to turn them back on, so your high/low beam will have to be modified to have the HID stay on when the high beams are on. If you use dual Hi/low bulbs then the bulb itself changes location to give you the high low beam.
A great advantage other than the truer blue/white light that they give off (depending on the color temperature bulb you buy) is that they draw less power (about 35 watts, compared to 55 or 60 watts per bulb and also run cooler as far as heat generated. The 2002 NSX with their fixed lamps give off an awesome light that is very flat, in otherwords no stray light. Its like someone put a straight edge over the front of the headlamps!
I put a HID in the single headlamp of my Harley, H4 high/low bulb. Its much brighter but the beam is not like the NSX because of the reflector and glass lens. If the guys above in the other posts can recommend another replacement lens, that would be a good upgrade also to the HID.

Brad

There are a few different HID kits available for the NSX. Mine is from Autolampsonline.com (which has since changed its name). The bulb and ballast is a plug-n-play unit that needs no modification for the NSX. The light is bright and clean and works perfectly with the NSX lense.

As I mentioned there are others out there too. Try a search to wee what's right for you.

Back