• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Question RE Brakes

Ok I found out that I need to get new brake pads.. I purchased some Porterfield R4S.

The Question is that should I let the dealer install them since I do have to take my car for an transmission / abs fluid change.. they are going to charge me $160 for labor to install them

any inputs would be great.

------------------
'92 Sebring Silver NSX #181

Wow, $160 to change the pads. That is outrageous. If there are any listers/club members who live near you and have done it before, maybe they can help you. It takes about 1 hour and it's a very easy DIY.

I dont want to speak for terpak, but he has offered me help more than once when he has had a couple moments, ask him. I know how to change my front (brembo's) but not my rear (oem) so if he offers to help I would want to come over to watch also.

Replacing the pads front (and rear) is pretty easy. It’s helpful if you have the special tool for the rears. I’ve written up a procedure at www.danoland.com/nsxgarage that details how to do-it-yourself. I’d say that a good mechanic should be able to do a real good brake change (both front and rear) in about an hour.

DanO

Agreed - Try it yourself. Chris Wilson (of Science of Speed) got me hooked on the Porterfield R4S's and convinced me to do the project myself a month or two ago. It took a few hours, but it was well worth it. In addition, next time I will be able to do it in about 1/3rd the time. Think of it as quality time with your baby.

I checked with my mechanic, a former racer. He says that even the Porterfield
R4S pads are not suitable for street use with only occasional track use. They are fine for just racing. He recommends the HP Plus pads. He says the R4Ss take too long to heat up, which is a problem in the winter especially. This may partly be a result of living in the northern part of N. America, rather than, say, S. California. Anyone have experience with the HP Plus pads, or other comments?

pacman

I disagree, I run the P4S's on the street and they do just fine. They do not grip TOO much when cold, but stoping power isn't noticeably worse than stock. They do take a little bit to heat up (On the street) but at the track they are just fine.

I would recommend Porterfield R4S's to anyone. Although I do hear that the RM pads are even better.

Porterfield R4S are suitable for street use and mild track use. A day at the track where it's hard on brakes will melt the pads. They are not track use only pads. The track use only pads are the R4 (without the S).

However, my personal favourite is Carbotech Panthers.

Which of these pads give the least amount of brake dust?

Also, are you guys running these pads on stock rotors or X-drilled / slotted rotors?

Thanks, -Electro

Back