• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Questions on the leather seats

Hello everybody! :)

I'm a new member and this is my first post. I'm a HUGE fan of the new NSX, it's breathtakingly gorgeous! Anyway, I'm not sure if this is the correct section to post this, so here goes.

Recently, I was in contact with an Acura representative via email and I've noticed on their website that all of the new NSX's that are on sale have leather seats. I kindly explained to him that I completely oppose leather seats because I am a vegetarian, they are against my values. To this, he happily replied that the NSX is available with non-leather seats, but only as a base model.

1. Is this true?

Also, I happen to like the original NSX as well, barring the leather seats and leather interior.

2. Are there any original NSX's on sale that come with non-leather seats and non-leather interior as a possible option?

Thanks in advance! :)

How about the other leather areas in the new NSX such as the dash and doors?

For the seats you can always get them re-covered or switch them out for something else. Otherwise you're better off not buying an NSX of any year.

No, all NSXs have leather seats, either full leather or leather/alcantara. Even the base seats are leather, just not as nice as the upgraded seats. There is also leather on most other interior surfaces, and no way around it. If you don't want leather, this car is not for you.

Really? Even the base model has leather seats? If that is true then that Acura rep. was lying to me?

Even if the seats were not leather, the whole interior is leather-lined. That comes standard on all NSXs. If you want a car minus the leather interior, I'd suggest you buy one and have it converted. You'll run into this same problem on just about any high-end sports car you'll buy. Chris at Science of Speed has experience with re-doing the interior of the new NSXs, he would be a great place to start if you really want an NSX.

Even if the seats were not leather, the whole interior is leather-lined. That comes standard on all NSXs. If you want a car minus the leather interior, I'd suggest you buy one and have it converted. You'll run into this same problem on just about any high-end sports car you'll buy. Chris at Science of Speed has experience with re-doing the interior of the new NSXs, he would be a great place to start if you really want an NSX.

Really? That's cool! Thanks for the advice, Viper Driver! Where can I contact Chris?

Really? Even the base model has leather seats? If that is true then that Acura rep. was lying to me?

I'm sorry, but this has to be one of the most ridiculous things I've heard about any high end exotic. If you want a plastic and vinyl interior buy an old corvette. If you spent any amount of time on the Acura website you'd know that there is a lot of leather in the car. Why you are putting blame on the Acura rep is just plain silly to me.

But wait, I hear your village calling.

I'm sorry, but this has to be one of the most ridiculous things I've heard about any high end exotic. If you want a plastic and vinyl interior buy an old corvette. If you spent any amount of time on the Acura website you'd know that there is a lot of leather in the car. Why you are putting blame on the Acura rep is just plain silly to me.

Actually, at no point did I blame that Acura rep, don't put words in my mouth! Quite the contrary, I merely asked if he was lying or misleading me, that's all.

But wait, I hear your village calling.

I beg your pardon? I'm sorry I don't understand the reference. Could you please elaborate on that, Mr. DocL?

I gotta agree with DocL here. Converting the NSX interior to a non-leather one is just all kinds of ridiculous.

First off, converting the interior after it has been built means that the cows have already been killed and leather made from their skins. The parts are already covered in leather, so converting them after the fact doesn't save a single cow. The only way to save the cow is to produce the car without a leather interior from the start.

Next, the leather isn't really designed to be easily removable from the interior panels. Doing so risks damaging them, which means chances are that you will have to buy several more replacement panels, which already comes covered in leather. That means that, not only do you not save any cows, you will actually cause more cows to be killed. And then, even if you eventually get all the leather removed, and now have an interior skinned in something else, all that leather is now wasted and will end up in the trash.

Bottom line, if you really don't want leather interior, don't buy the NSX. Alternatively, if you throw enough money at Honda, perhaps they would be willing to get their suppliers to make one-off interior panels not covered in leather, but I suspect that would require a lot of money to convince them.

If you want an "ethical" interior, buy a Tesla.

Last edited:
Really? That's cool! Thanks for the advice, Viper Driver! Where can I contact Chris?

You can get Chris and SoS's contact info at http://www.scienceofspeed.com. They have experience re-doing interiors from their NSX Dream Project that was just featured at the Acura booth at SEMA. I've seen the car in person and the job was marvelously done. I'm sure whomever did it for them would be able to do the same thing in whatever material you'd like.

You can get Chris and SoS's contact info at http://www.scienceofspeed.com. They have experience re-doing interiors from their NSX Dream Project that was just featured at the Acura booth at SEMA. I've seen the car in person and the job was marvelously done. I'm sure whomever did it for them would be able to do the same thing in whatever material you'd like.

Thanks, Viper Driver, you've been most helpful, I really appreciate it! :)

I gotta agree with DocL here. Converting the NSX interior to a non-leather one is just all kinds of ridiculous.

First off, converting the interior after it has been built means that the cows have already been killed and leather made from their skins. The parts are already covered in leather, so converting them after the fact doesn't save a single cow. The only way to save the cow is to produce the car without a leather interior from the start.

Next, the leather isn't really designed to be easily removable from the interior panels. Doing so risks damaging them, which means chances are that you will have to buy several more replacement panels, which already comes covered in leather. That means that, not only do you not save any cows, you will actually cause more cows to be killed. And then, even if you eventually get all the leather removed, and now have an interior skinned in something else, all that leather is now wasted and will end up in the trash.

Bottom line, if you really don't want leather interior, don't buy the NSX. Alternatively, if you throw enough money at Honda, perhaps they would be willing to get their suppliers to make one-off interior panels not covered in leather, but I suspect that would require a lot of money to convince them.

Actually, I did seriously consider buying a Tesla, since it is the first official vegan car on the market. Unfortunately, they are not very reliable. However, considering that they are a new and young company with no red tape baggage (unlike GM & Ford), it is only a matter of time until Tesla will be dishing out reliable cars. Once they do, I will happily buy one! Thanks for the suggestion! :)

Actually, I've considered buying a Tesla and while their cars are attractive with neat techno gadgets, unfortunately, they are unreliable. However, considering that they are a new and young company without the red tape (unlike GM & Ford), it is only a matter of time until Tesla gets all the bugs worked out. Once they do, I will glady buy one. Thanks for the suggestion! I am even considering designing my own car as well! :)

Back