• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Race Technology rotors/Carbotech pads?

Does any one know where to purchase Race technology rotors and carbotech pads? I just bought 2 front rotors and pads on ebay for $88 and I wanted to buy the ones from the rear... Has anyone heard of them? Any good? Does front set up have to make the rear? HELP :biggrin:

BRIDGEWATER ACURA said:
Does front set up have to make the rear?
As far as matching (I assume that's what you mean), matching the type (as well as brand) of brake pads will often give you good balance, but it's not essential the way matching tires front and rear is. I often use mismatched brake pads. Any time I want to try a different kind of brake pad, I wait for the old ones to wear down to the point that they need replacement. As a result, I am usually replacing the front or the rear, but not both, and they often end up not matching. Then again, I am not using drastically different brake pads (such as generic auto parts store pads on the front, and racing pads on the rear), so the balance isn't totally ridiculous, either.

And regarding which pads to get - every major brand (including Carbotech) sells a wide range of pads, everything from pure track pads (which grip like the shizzle, but squeal and dust and need to get hot to grip) to pure street pads (which don't squeal or dust or need warmup, but don't grip as well) and everything in between. I really like the GT Sport brake pads from Cobalt Friction, because they grip well on the track, but they don't squeal or need warmup on the street. Great all-around pad.

My recommendation would be to call Andie at Cobalt Friction. He's the owner, and he owns an NSX which he sometimes takes to the track. He's extremely knowledgeable, carries a bunch of brands of rotors and pads in addition to his own, and offers great prices and service. Nice guy, too.

nsxtasy said:
(which grip like the shizzle,

Ha, Ken said "Shizzle". :D

Two thumbs up here for Andie and Cobalt Friction, their track pads are awesome (Spec VR). Although, I would say they dust less than "some" street pads, they are definitely noisier!

They're the only pads I haven't scorched or glazed, and will not even bother buying a different pad until they stop making the Spec VR compound. :)

Edit to stay on topic, yeah front/rear coefficient of friction matching isn't the be-all and end-all. The ideal setup varies based on conditions anyway, and straying by .1 u isn't going to hurt. I haven't matched front/rear pad compounds intentionally to try to lower the rear bias a little bit, but your mileage WILL vary. :)

Some pad manufacturers list a coefficient of friction for the material (Cobalt and Carbotech come to mind). You can use that as a matching guide.

Chris F said:
Two thumbs up here for Andie and Cobalt Friction, their track pads are awesome (Spec VR). Although, I would say they dust less than "some" street pads, they are definitely noisier!

They're the only pads I haven't scorched or glazed, and will not even bother buying a different pad until they stop making the Spec VR compound. :)
Yes, Cobalt Friction's Spec VR is an outstanding track-only brake pad. If you're planning to change pads for track events (or if you have a track-only car), they're terrific.

My recommendation for their GT Sport brake pads is for a pad that can be used on the street as well as on the track. As with many things, it all depends on what your preferences and priorities are, with different products best suited to different needs...

Is this your NSX or the 944? If this is your Track only car then CF Spec VR or CT Xp9. If DE car then CF GT sports or CT Panther Plus.

IMHO ofcourse

NSXLuvr said:
Is this your NSX or the 944? If this is your Track only car then CF Spec VR or CT Xp9. If DE car then CF GT sports or CT Panther Plus.

IMHO ofcourse

I glazed Carbotech XP9's, oddly enough. But then again I'm not easy on brakes.

NSXLuvr said:

IMHO ofcourse

for my NSX, never tracked but driven :biggrin:

I track my NSX 4-5 times a year. I put in GT sports almost 2 years ago and replaced them yesterday. The pads lasted 9 track events, and 13k miles. pretty good for a HPDE pad IMHO.

Back