• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Re-embroidering NSX logos on floor mats?

20230808_0001.jpg

Parts of the red stitching in the logos on my floor mats are missing and I'd like to get them looking new again. The new OEM mats available from SoS and Mita only come in ivory/ivory, not ivory/red, so I think restoring the ones I have will be the only option. Does anyone know if it's possible to get the stitching re-done?

This is probably different from what you want, but maybe you can get in contact with this person to see if they can do it in red for you.

Thank you, that is an interesting idea! I'm going to check with some local shops I've found to see if they can do the embroidery. I found one whose website says “if I can get it on the machine, I can embroider it.”, so hopefully it will be possible. But if not, that idea of attaching an aluminum plate in the same color over it one I will look into.

We'll be reissuing the NSX floor mat plates if you're interested. These were a Japan only item when an NSX is ordered.

Attachments

• 1707815803754.jpg
    1707815803754.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 22
Will you be able to reissue the NSX-R floor mat plates as well?
We were thinking of only supplying the original NSX ones.

PXL_20240214_005706717.MP.jpgPXL_20240215_030356566.MP.jpg

I failed to get a "before" pic of the passenger side, but after several rounds with both a Bissel carpet cleaner using some of their cleaning solution and a drill brush in the bathtub with some laundry detergent, I was able to get these mats looking a lot better, though still not as good as I had hoped. With 70K miles on them, the heel area of the driver's side is missing some of its fibers.

So I bought the new ivory/ivory mats that kevie_p had for sale and am thinking I'll use the old ones as guinea pigs for whatever method I end up deciding to try, then can replicate it on the new ones.

We'll be reissuing the NSX floor mat plates if you're interested. These were a Japan only item when an NSX is ordered.
Is there a decent aftermarket mat that fits like OEM that we could put these on. I don’t see that fitting over the OEM floor-mat logo. Unless it’s really big.

Is there a decent aftermarket mat that fits like OEM that we could put these on. I don’t see that fitting over the OEM floor-mat logo. Unless it’s really big.
We will offer OEM-style floor mats with mounted emblems. These will include the NA2R red floor mat style as well as a standard black option.

PXL_20240221_180438729.MP~2.jpg

I received the new mats (PN 83600-SL0-C00ZD) but I'm not very impressed with Honda here. They are the same color code, NH208L, as the original ivory interior parts from a 1991, but the actual color is clearly much more tan. I don't really understand why Honda wouldn't have either kept it the same or changed the color code of the later mats they sold.

Hopefully it won't look too mismatched sitting inside the car on the carpet, but I'll have to wait until the next time I get the car down off the lift to drive it to see.

Honda likely switched manufacturers or the manufacturer switched materials. Carpet and most textiles are made in batches so they won't always be the same color or feel sometimes.

Today I took the mats around to a few local shops that do custom interior work, and also an embroidery shop that one of them recommended, but they all agreed that re-embroidering the original mats would be practically impossible. The logo is embroidered onto the carpet itself, so it would require removing the stitching around the edges to separate the carpet from the rubber to get it on their machine. They said only a company that makes floor mats would have the right machine to re-do that stitching around the edges to put the mat back together.

With the new mats, the logo is different - the embroidery is on separate piece that is bonded to the mat with heat. So, it could be removed and replaced with a new piece like @JohnWayne mentioned. But none of the shops had the capability to make one. They suggested trying to find a company online that makes patches, like you'd put on a backpack, and getting them to make a patch in the right shape, then they could embroider the logo onto that and then sew it onto the mat.

Basically the same as what @JohnWayne mentioned. So I'm hoping his seamstress friend can create those "patches" and then I can have them sewn onto the original mats over top of the original logos, then sell these new mats.

floormats-1.png

floormats-2.png

So fortunately, in the car, the new mats don't mismatch as much as I thought they would. Especially since the carpet isn't quite the same shade as the plastic anyway, and neither of those are the same shade as the leather, etc.

Back