• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Rear license plate mounting issue

I am thrilled to share that I just picked up a beautiful flawless 01 Silverstone/Black NSX this weekend (pictures to follow) and loved every minute of the drive back home, that is until I got home. When attempting to remove the rear license plate, the bolt kept turning and turning but it would not loosen. It was clear that the backing nut that the bolt screws into had broken free and was spinning with the bolt as I tried to loosen it. After an hour of prying, pulling and cursing I finally got the bolt out.

The problem now is that I am left with this (sorry for the sideways picture):

adult picture hosting

How can I replace the backing nut in order to be able to reinstall a new license plate? There doesn't seem to be any rear access without removing the rear bumper or exhaust.

I greatly appreciate any tips to make this an easy DIY (I do not have access to a lift).

Thanks,
Jeff

^^^
That, or an appropriate size flanged swage nut (aka thread-serts, rivet nuts). They are basically a hollow rivet with internal threads. They go in the hole and the flange keeps them from going all the way through. When you initially tighten a fastener into them, the back side collapses and expands like a rivet, setting it in place so it won't turn or come out.

https://www.grainger.com/category/rivet-nuts/thread-insert/fasteners/ecatalog/N-8o5Z1z0o2kw

The problem with the 'rivet nuts' is
- if you don't properly fit them (snug in the hole) they will spin and you will have more of a headache removing it
- if you over compress them in install you will 'strip' or weaken the internal threads.

I installed a lot of them when I was a aircraft mechanic.
There is a 'tool' to help you properly install them, but for one rivet nut - not worth the cost.

Last edited:
harbor freight sell a simple rivnut set that might work for this. otherwis you have to remove the rear bumper and get to the back. i have the same issue with one of my bolt. im going to remove my rear bumper and get that piece welded on again along with the opposit side so this never happens again

^^ Harbor Freight ... YMMV
Cheap IMHO

lol it is indeed cheap. but its just a rivnut for a license plate. no need to go fancy for a simple cheap fix. plus its not like hes using it 100 times

like i said thats the only route without taking off the bumper. i would take it off and get that part welded back on if it was my car

NRG sells a rivnut + fender washer kit for around 20-30 for a pack. I used them to mount a license plate on my SUV's bull bar.

You just drill a proper size hole according to the rivnut. Then use the included tool to insert and tighten the rivnut. It's very secure after all is said and done.

- - - Updated - - -

NRG sells a rivnut + fender washer kit for around 20-30 for a pack. I used them to mount a license plate on my SUV's bull bar.

You just drill a proper size hole according to the rivnut. Then use the included tool to insert and tighten the rivnut. It's very secure after all is said and done.

Back