• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

rebuilding ABS solenoids

Anyone have info on rebuilding ABS solenoids? My ABS pump keeps running. So I flushed the system. Then I toggled the solenoids. Still does not seem to hold pressure for very long. It also gets worse when hot. I suspect there must be some o-rings in there or something that can be replaced?

I am rebuilding my old ABS system right now. Really, they do not wear, they just get dirt in them.
I was able to get o-rings from a supplier and now I have a grease that is compatible with brake fluid, so all I need to do is reassemble and test.

I will have my old system for sale and I will have o-ring sets available if this works well.

Would it be possible to exercise the solenoidby pulling the ABS relay then jumping the lower 2 prongs with a papeclip for couple seconds?? I read about this on other hondas and also recently learned that this is how one flushes the abs fluid. So is this method effective?

No? its that exactly what it states to do in the link above? the link says to pull the ABS relay, use a switch attached to the 2 lower prongs; which is basically jumping and activating the ABS motor... Im confused? Am I missing something?

The reason why I ask is because my car doesnt see snow or rain so its difficult to "exercise" the abs sufficiently by slamming on the brakes. Suggestions?

steps 2,3 switch the solenoids on/off. This is where the seal goes bad. This is not the same as turning on the ABS pump.

Ahhh i see. So switching on/off the solenoids is not considered exercising the abs unit... I tried the jump things for 3 seconds and the abs made some activating sound so I assumed that did the trick. thanks

I am rebuilding my old ABS system right now. Really, they do not wear, they just get dirt in them.
I was able to get o-rings from a supplier and now I have a grease that is compatible with brake fluid, so all I need to do is reassemble and test.

I will have my old system for sale and I will have o-ring sets available if this works well.
Is the solenoid seal a metal on metal contact? Why does it not wear out?

Everything moves on rubber o-rings. Dirt gets under the reservoir cap, into the fluid and collects around the solenoids.
see post #14...
http://nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1428562#post1428562

Last edited:
thanks for the pic. That really clears it up. I think I will flush mine a few more times. If that does not work just open up the solenoids and give them a good wipe down. It is amazing how dirty those things get.

If my car had been sitting for a full day or more, my ABS system used to make the "rat tat tat" noise every time I made the first stop on my long down-hill driveway. Four years and 12,000 miles ago I did the danoland procedure. It has never done that since.

During the procedure I did get a little bit of small black particles in the fluid after I exercised each of the 4 relays. So, I'm 100% satisfied with the procedure.

Back