• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Removing ashtray for center console/creating mount for Zeitronix display

MvM

Legendary Member
For the last year or so, I have been driving around with a Zeitronix display fixed to my ashtray cover with a piece of Velcro.
The Zeitronix displays some data from the engine due to my CTSC install.
I finally came around to designing a mount that will remove the ashtray unit completely and enables me to mount the Zeitronix behind it and make it into a flush fit with the rest of the center console.

The idea is of course to fix the final model permanently to the center console and then have it primed and painted so it will look OEM.

This is the view from the front (in my work room that is):

Ashtray_Cover_Protoype1.jpg

And this what the rear looks like. The cutout is mated to the size of the Zeitronix display and clicks right it.

Ashtray_Cover_Protoype2.jpg

The unit is a 3D printed item and this is just the (hopefully) last prototype. It was a quick print, so this is very light.
The model is designed in OpenSCAD, so it's relatively easy to adjust it to mount different objects like round AFR gauges, a different clock or whatever, as long as it fits inside the area.

Of course, when I removed the ashtray, I found that the interiour temperatur sensor is fitted to the ashtray assembly as well. So I had to design a separate mount for this as well, which turned out to be like this:

TempSensormount2.jpg

So what do you guys think?

Last edited:
The power of 3D printing.
Looks great. Nice solution. +1 for the oem look.

A reversible mod I imagine?

Well. in principle the mod is fully reversible of course. Unless I would decide to glue the cover in place, fill up the remaining edges and have the whole console repainted in the same color.

- - - Updated - - -

EDIT: Added a picture of the separate mount I needed to get the temperature sensor mounted on its original location which a flush fit to the small opening in the console.

I would love to buy that Aspirator Fan mount if there's anyway you can print another one!

That would be of course no problem.
But first, this weekend we a Honda NSX-tour in Europe this weekend, and that's when all these parts are going to be put to the final real-world test. After this weekend I should know if any more changes are needed.

Vey cool man. I only wish my SOS ashtray pod accepted the cabin air sensor/fan.

- - - Updated - - -

Group buy group buy!

I would love a blank panel you can put anything you wanted. along with that aspirator mounting unit.

Vey cool man. I only wish my SOS ashtray pod accepted the cabin air sensor/fan.

- - - Updated - - -

Group buy group buy!

It is possible to design that with an adapter for the interior temp sensor, but even in the OEM trim, that unit has a separate mount.
Once I have finalised the design (need it tested for strenght, loosening etc). I can put up a group buy of course.

B2FiNiTY said:
I would love a blank panel you can put anything you wanted. along with that aspirator mounting unit.

Printing a blank panel would be just easy. But if you have the measurements of whatever you would want to put there, I could print the hole in it and even add a elevated rim on the rear if needed to be able to fix it.

Was very busy, so it took longer than expected to finalize my design for the ashtray replacement cover combined with the Zeitronix display.
I 3D-printed it in white ABS because that is more temperature resistant than most other 3D filament types.
The Zeitronix display is fitted with two strips of double sided tape.
As you can see, the piece still needs to be permanently attached, then the gaps filled in and the center console repainted.
But first, I want to keep it like this for a while and see how it holds up.

NSX-3D-Zeitronix1.JPG

I am still working on the final design for the airco temperature sensor behind the small opening in the console.
Hope to have that finished next week.

Looks great! Any issues with visibility when in 3rd gear? I was considering putting a gauge inside the ashtray, but found the knob blocks the view. Yours is a little more center and higher.

Mike B

can you only use the USB chargers when the e-brake is up? seems like anything plugged in wouldn't if it was down just asking clean install looks good

Looks great! Any issues with visibility when in 3rd gear? Yours is a little more center and higher.
Mike B

The only issues I have with the visibility is in bright sunlight. Not because of the shifter but just because the Zeitronix display is not that bright in full daylight. The display needed to be centered because of the size of the Zeitronix. You can actually see the thin (printed) cutouts in the rear for the edges of the ZT display.

shawn110975 said:
can you only use the USB chargers when the e-brake is up? seems like anything plugged in wouldn't if it was down just asking clean install looks good

I can use the USB ports even when the e-brake is down, but I have to be carefull with the wire.
I use it mainly for charging my phone or tablet and for my navigation set. You really need a port like that because if you take the ashtray out, you are in effect delleting your 12V output.
I am still going to get some USB-cables with a 90-degree angled connector though :)

- - - Updated - - -

I was considering putting a gauge inside the ashtray, but found the knob blocks the view. Yours is a little more center and higher.

Mike B

I already made a design for 36mm gauge. You actually have room for two 36mm gauge if you like, or you could but one gauge and a USB-port next to it.
Something like this. This design is actually more simple than that for the Zeitronix because you don't all the cutouts in the rear of the cover that the Zeitronix requires.

NSX_Ashtray_Cover_AFRGauge_front.png

Last edited:
I already made a design for 36mm gauge. You actually have room for two 36mm gauge if you like, or you could but one gauge and a USB-port next to it.
Something like this. This design is actually more simple than that for the Zeitronix because you don't all the cutouts in the rear of the cover that the Zeitronix requires.

Cool. I can tell you really thought it through. Nice work!

Mike B

Back