• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

RIV demands inovice showing child restraint installed

I received the attached letter from RIV indicating an invoice is required which details the child restraint anchor was installed. Has anyone actually had it done? most posts I've read indicated they only had to have the anchor available, but not actually proven to be installed by someone.

The good news is the letter indicates the famous 'recall letter' is not required

Attachments

Interesting.....

I had the same request when I imported my 1994 300ZX Convertible. I wrote back to the RIV and informed them the car was a TWO seater and had DUAL airbags. I reminded them I was not allowed to legally put a child in the front seat because of the airbag issue and kindly asked them to provide clarification on why they would be asking me to provide a child restraint kit when I was not allowed to have a child there in the first place......:confused:

Ultimlatey I NEVER heard from anyone and simply got my clearance letter and door tag. Guess they figured out how stupid their requirement was at the end of the day when someone tutored them.:rolleyes:

Tim

The RIV center (Crappy-Tire) did mine, the just asked to see the bolt kit. I told them to be installed I'd have to cut my expensive leather panel since I have no child I figured that would be pointless. Plus there is no way to shut off the dual air bags so you can't put a child in a 1995+ anyway just like Tim said.

Why would they ask you to prove its been installed? Did the laws change, most earlier year Canadian cars came with a bolt kit the customer would choose to install if required. Would be stupid to pay someone to install a simple bolt to show proof of install. I know my Sis's new car 2006 -IS250 comes with these built in now.

They just look at the bolt kit in the OEM bag from my 91 for my 00, checked the DRL's, and Stupid french SRS visor label (which I got a sign shop to make out of vinyl sticker)... and away I went...

Interesting.....

I reminded them I was not allowed to legally put a child in the front seat because of the airbag issue

Tim

Are you sure there is a legal issue regarding child seats in the front with an airbag? From what I have found, the govt recommends not putting REAR facing child seats in the front with an airbag, but does not recommend against front facing
http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/tp/tp13178/page1_e.htm

The NSX owner manual indicates canadian versions have the anchor already installed.

Does Ukranian Tire have the letter you get from RIV? or do they only have the inspection form? or do you have to give them both the letter and the inspection form?

I will tell you a few first hand stories from Khasakstanian Tire, and explain to you why I am scared every time I see a car go into, or come out of these stores.

My first car was a 1985 Volkswagen GTi, and I was getting a PPI done at their Stoney Creek, Ontario location. The monkey was going through a checklist and found a hole in the driver's side floor panel. He told me that I should get that addressed, but would still be safetied. Several minutes later, he goes into the back seat, and sees there are only lap belts installed and that they need shoulder restraints for all seats for all vehicles. When I ask him where exactly these were to be installed because there was clearly no mounting points he shrugged and just said "I dunno, you need them though" Somehow, I talked to the manager and got the car safetied after all.

Several years later, they had a special on some BFG all season tires and seeing as my lady needed new rubber-we decided to go to the Upper Gage store in Hamilton, Ontario. I spoke to the girl at the counter and asked her to be sure the tech uses a torque wrench to reinstall the wheels. Not more than two minutes later, the "gentleman" flies out of the service bay and confronts me. Pretty much verbatim, the conversation went like this;

He asked me "Why do you want these put back one the car with a torque wrench"

I said "Because that's what the manual tells you to do" hoping to avoid a protracted confrontation.

"But we put them on with an impact wrench, and they go tight enough"

"I am sure they do, what torque does it install the lugs to"

"About 175 ft-lbs, like I said, plenty tight"

"Number 1, the manual says 85 ft-lbs, so you overtighten the lugs by a factor of two, and number 2, have you ever had a flat on the side of the highway"

"Yeah"

"Have you ever had a wheel that you couldn't get off?"

"Well, yeah..."

"So what do you think she would do, if YOU couldn't get the wheel off?" As I point to my fiancee.

"..."

"put the wheels on like I said."

After these two instances I have not, nor do I plan to return to their auto service center. That is, unless I get my NSX from the states. They seem to hire only the service guys that the other chains and shops slough off and won't hire.

Are you sure there is a legal issue regarding child seats in the front with an airbag? From what I have found, the govt recommends not putting REAR facing child seats in the front with an airbag, but does not recommend against front facing
http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/tp/tp13178/page1_e.htm

The NSX owner manual indicates canadian versions have the anchor already installed.

Does Ukranian Tire have the letter you get from RIV? or do they only have the inspection form? or do you have to give them both the letter and the inspection form?
I didn't have a factory on/off switch. This was back in 2001 so perhaps I got lucky. :)

No worries! I'll provide you an invoice that shows you paid me to install the Child Seat Anchor!

My work will be just like my first race mechanic's - You'll pay and I won't do anything! ;)

No worries! I'll provide you an invoice that shows you paid me to install the Child Seat Anchor!

My work will be just like my first race mechanic's - You'll pay and I won't do anything! ;)

That made me think....I might as well create an invoice from my own company(which is numbered) to me. The letter doesnt actually say it has to be done by a mechanic. ...or maybe that would piss them off enough to not pass it..

Back