• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

RM Racing Exhaust- Baffle Blowouts-Common?

I am fairly new to the board but I did notice someone remarking that there had been baffle blowouts with RM exhaust sytems.

I have one and have no problems (yet, I guess). Is this really an issue and if so,
is RM doing anything about it? I also run
NOS, is that a higher risk?

Really dont want to spend another 2K on an exhaust system, but then again, the comments on the Tubi systems are enticing.

BTW, I am very pleased with the sound and look (quad DTM tips). Have found RM to be
good to deal with so far.

Thanks.

------------------

Well I have some bad news for you, I also read about RM exhausts having problems with blowing out baffles and it was from Mark Basch who is the foremost expert on the NSX. So you might want to start saving for the Tubi exhaust.

The problem was with the early model RM exhausts--you see, B&B (who manufactures the RM exhaust) used some kind of wire for the packing in the exhaust, which ended up coming loose and making this terrible high-pitched buzzing noise. B&B fixed the buzzing problem a few years ago and all their NSX exhausts carry a lifetime warranty. A few of us who bought the early model exhausts ended up sending them back to B&B twice because the first time they just repacked it with the same wire method and when these came loose again (buzz buzz buzz) they figured out a way to fix it once and for all. After my exhaust was fixed for the second time, it worked beautifully for a couple of years of long highway driving and hard track use. I recently sold the exhaust and assume it’s working fine for the new owner. The build quality on the exhausts is very good and the support at B&B is exceptional. I assume the newer units are just as good in terms of build quality and reliability as any other exhaust on the market. However, there is still some confusion regarding the quality of the product within the NSX community because the first 20-30 units were sold with this wire buzzing problem and I don’t think all of them have been fixed—or broken yet (pansy drivers).
rolleyes.gif
If you need more direct (and probably more accurate
smile.gif
information) please contact Randy at RM racing www.rmnsx.com or Mike at B&B www.bbtriflo.com

DanO

[This message has been edited by DanO (edited 07 November 2001).]

Thanks- great info. Mine is about 2 years old, so dont know if this is pre or post when B&B fixed problem. No buzzing noise yet.
I have dealt with Randy before I guess I will call him and see if he has a date when production models were changed.

Originally posted by nsx1164:
I blew my baffles out earlier this year, doing hard brakepad-bedding maneuvers.

Just to be perfectly anal, the baffles don’t “blow out”, the wires that hold the packing work loose or break (I’m not sure which it is)

I've actually come to LIKE the sound of it

Manuel, I think you've been hanging out with Andie a little too much
smile.gif
smile.gif

DanO

[This message has been edited by DanO (edited 07 November 2001).]

Manuel, I think you've been hanging out with Andie a little too much
smile.gif
smile.gif

That's why he followed him down to Florida... not that there's anything wrong with that.
wink.gif

I believe the problem w/ the wires was described as them being made of some easily corrodable metal and basically rusting away from exposure to moisture. The new wires are supposed to be resistant to that problem.

I am going to call Randy at RM and see if he has a production date for when this problem was rectified by B&B- need to know if I should start saving for Ilya's Tubi or not!

I have had mine for about 2 years and have not noticed any strange sounds.

I bought my RM that was used for two years and I have had it on the car for six months and have had no problems still sounds great.

Steven 91 Blk/Ivory

Back