• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Rubber/Urethane sleeve on expansion valve "bulb"

I am replacing the expansion valve using the "through the front compartment" technique and I am stuck on what to do with the rubber sleeve that surrounds the "bulb" and holds it up against the inlet pipe.

As I try to remove the old buld, I am destroying the rubber...whch seems to be more like a glue to hold/insulate the bulb.

Anyone have 1st hand experience with this and what I should do?

Thanks

I am replacing the expansion valve using the "through the front compartment" technique and I am stuck on what to do with the rubber sleeve that surrounds the "bulb" and holds it up against the inlet pipe.

As I try to remove the old buld, I am destroying the rubber...whch seems to be more like a glue to hold/insulate the bulb.

Anyone have 1st hand experience with this and what I should do?

Thanks

Its expansion valve putty, used to adhere the bulb to the evap. Usually oem valves come with some, if not any hvac supplier should have it also goes by the name of Cork TAPE

Last edited:
Its expansion valve putty, used to adhere the bulb to the evap. Usually oem valves come with some, if not any hvac supplier should have it also goes by the name of Cork TAPE

Can I salvage mine by slitting and peeling it back?
Is the environment too harsh to reasten it with duct tape or electrical tape back into position?
My asumption is that it is"neccessary" and serves a purpose.

In some pictures (on NSX Prime) it actually just looks like a small rubber sheet (when you buy the evaporator and expansion valve as an OEM combination).

1.yes ,if the putty is still pliable,(although I don't recommend)
2. No ,when the evap starts to sweat tape would probably let go
3.best shot is to get some valve putty.
4. Your assumption is correct

Last edited:
Back