• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Rubbing in front with Widebody, 245/40-17, KW Coilovers...

Hi folks,

I just picked up a 2000 that has had the Pride Carbon widebody kit installed. The previous owner put on 245/40-17 front tires on 17x9 +25 wheels. I am getting a lot of rubbing - over bumps, when there are 2 people in the car, when the wheel is cranked to lock, and even if I corner hard. My research had shown that this wheel and tire setup should clear with my 20mm wider fenders, but it definitely doesn't. One source is the link below - the guy has a similar widebody setup and identical wheel/tire specs, he reports no rubbing.

It mostly seems to be rubbing from a tire height standpoint, not really from width or offset. It is rubbing on the back of the wheel well, the headlight bucket, etc. My only thought is that perhaps the KWs allow more travel before the bump stop than the stock suspension? 245/40-17 is taller than the 215/40-17 that was stock on 02-05, but by less than an inch in diameter. The car is not overly low, but I am not opposed to raising it and/or adding spacers to the bump stop to stop the rubbing.

yPQLaFRm.jpeg

I would think you need a 35 series front tire, and raise the car up at least 5 mm, the shocks may not be providing enough damping as well..

I would think you need a 35 series front tire, and raise the car up at least 5 mm, the shocks may not be providing enough damping as well..
Unfortunately, 245/35-17 isn't really a size that is made. I see only one option on Tirerack.com.

yes very rare size, have you thought about 235/40/17...

Try going to to a 235/40 tire and add a 3mm spacer

Another thing you outta try is having your alignment shop set the caster to maximum positive
Ok. I did some poking around...I believe the rubbing is a result of 1) the KW coilovers being set way too low (well below KW's recommended minimum), and 2) the alignment is terrible (Gold Star for MexiRicer!). It is set to minimum camber and caster. The back of the wheel jams into the back of the wheel well at 1 turn of the steering wheel - half a turn before hitting the steering limit. There is plenty of space in front of the tire when turned the other way, however.

This weekend I will max out camber and caster, do a crude alignment with my toe plates, and see where that gets me. I am fine with a little bit of rubbing, but the car is basically undriveable as is. If I need to drop down to 235s, I will...just trying to stick with 245s since tire selection is so much better.

Ok. I did some poking around...I believe the rubbing is a result of 1) the KW coilovers being set way too low (well below KW's recommended minimum), and 2) the alignment is terrible (Gold Star for MexiRicer!). It is set to minimum camber and caster. The back of the wheel jams into the back of the wheel well at 1 turn of the steering wheel - half a turn before hitting the steering limit. There is plenty of space in front of the tire when turned the other way, however.

This weekend I will max out camber and caster, do a crude alignment with my toe plates, and see where that gets me. I am fine with a little bit of rubbing, but the car is basically undriveable as is. If I need to drop down to 235s, I will...just trying to stick with 245s since tire selection is so much better.
Good plan. I'd also raise it to the KW minimum height.

Back