• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

s2000 antenna installed

After getting a big snag with my fishing rod (err i mean antenna) it was time to buy a better antenna. After seeing NSXsan and his s2k antenna. I did the same. Thanks to all his help, as there was a bit of modifying to do.

9537114_1423-med.JPG

9537114_1420-med.JPG

I never had a problem with reception just had a problem with the height. Reception is the same as the original but i'm in Australia and dont tend to have problems with reception in the concrete jungle so wouldn't know about the states.

thats come up really nice dippy9 ;)
you should delete that stupid car behind you :D
do u still need the cable ???

Well quickly with the entire kit the mast is attached directly to the metal housing, which wont fit directly into our car. You have to extend the coaxial cable ( can buy an extension at your local electrical outlet) connecting the mast and the housing by opening up the housing and disconnecting the circuit board completely. Seperate the mast from the housing to have the two seperate pieces that you need to make the antenna fit in the factory placement. Once extended and connecting the metal housing back on you can start installing.

To complete installation look here

Note: In order to make the the antenna fit you have to enlarge the factory hole a little bit. I just put my pliers in the hole and turned until the hole was a little bigger.

Now that looks fantastic <B>Dippy!</B> Looks even better on black. :D Can't wait to see it in person.

Did you get the Footscray Mechanics Institute Library over the road to her? ;)

Note: In order to make the the antenna fit you have to enlarge the factory hole a little bit. I just put my pliers in the hole and turned until the hole was a little bigger.

please don't use a plier too risky

there is a better way to make the hole bigger, use a DREMEL but make sure you put a masking tape around the hole just incase if you slip . . . you wont scracth the paint

When I bought mine, it had the S2k antenna on it and I think the reception is terrible, but I never heard it with the regular antenna thank the lord for the MP3 changer :) . Maybe it is just mine though.

Charlie

dippy9, I bet ur explaination is much better than me so better ask him rather than me, me speak No English :D

PoohBEAR said:
I know this is a matter of preference. For some reason, I just don't like it....looks just like a small penis hanging out of the car:D Please accept my apology if my comment offend anyone here.

LOL!! :D

PoohBEAR said:
I know this is a matter of preference. For some reason, I just don't like it....looks just like a small penis hanging out of the car:D Please accept my apology if my comment offend anyone here.

I just wonder what make you think like a small penis :confused:
hmm, maybe yours one is that small :D thats why you can think like that . . .

The only reason I know it is "small" because it is smaller than MY SMALL. If I offended you, I'll be more than happy to retrieve the prior message and make an apology to you.

NSXsan said:
I just wonder what make you think like a small penis :confused:
hmm, maybe yours one is that small :D thats why you can think like that . . .

haha no offence taken. We are aussies we just laugh at everything especially our Prime Minister.

Just one comment. Cant see how you came up with that conclusion, that antenna is very thin. You're not that cop on Deuce Bigalow are you?) :D :D

Well, I spent my Christmas Eve on this little modification and it sure looks GREAT! :biggrin: and the reception seems better as Power 106 now comes in perfect.

Thanks for the quick write-up Dippy as it helped clear up some confusion.

dippy9 said:
Well quickly with the entire kit the mast is attached directly to the metal housing, which wont fit directly into our car. You have to extend the coaxial cable ( can buy an extension at your local electrical outlet) connecting the mast and the housing by opening up the housing and disconnecting the circuit board completely. Seperate the mast from the housing to have the two seperate pieces that you need to make the antenna fit in the factory placement. Once extended and connecting the metal housing back on you can start installing.

How about those window antenna that you just tape on, like the heating wires on your back window? Can we get that type on antenna? Anyone tried it yet? All new cars have them now.

I bought one [Shark Attack II], and it took maybe 1 hour to install [because I didn't have access to my regular tools]. The only challenge was attaching the nut from inside the trunk. In order not to lose the nut between the body panels; I attached some dental floss to it, and anchored it to one of the wires inside.
<O:p
Reception is much better, but now I'm curious about the diversity antenna in the window. Some strong FM stations will quickly fade in and out, as if there's a short or loose wire.<O:p

I have decided to install an S2000 antenna on my car. After trying to install it, I see now what dippy9 must have done. I think I did something different, a little more involved. I made up a new extension from the circut board up to the fender flange. So now the metal box for the circut board( I guess that is a signal amp ) is about 5" away from the end where the short antenna screws in. I made it so that I can use the stock antenna nut and the backing flange. I didn't have to inlarge any holes. I also used the rubber boot gasket that seals up the trunk space, it looks like it came from the factory. My automactic antenna still worked but it was slightly bent and looked kinda goofy. Now I think it looks more up to date. I am glad I switch it out.

ktan said:
after a little research on the cost of an oem s2000 antenna on ebay, I found this link. This may be a good option, about $30 + shipping on ebay

Install Link: http://www.locustom.com/nsx_install.htm

ebay link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7973930786&category=33639

not affiliated to these guys but i've heard of fuba before, i think the VW's use them as oem

I bought this antenna and must say its probably the best $30 spent. And it was a snap to install (already fits perfectly without having to make the hole bigger). Takes about 30 minutes if you have all the tools. I'd recommend it way before you go through all the trouble and price of getting the real S2000 antenna (this install is reversable).

Reception is very good, I'd say about 90% of the original OEM antenna from what I can tell so far.

Despite them calling it a "Shark Attack II", it's infact a Universal antenna made by the company Metra AntennaWorks and the part number is 44-UA46. I bought mine from that guy on Ebay (good seller) and it seems like the easiest and cheapest route to get it. Here's a picture of it installed:
rznsx9.jpg

Just curious because I am inclined to do this mode as well. How do you measure about 90% of OEM (the number could easily be 80% and I would have the same question)? Did you notice any loss in reception? It appears to me non of the aftermarket antennas ever made a claim of "better" than OEM; it always close to OEM. TIA.

Back