• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Satellite Navigation

Consider the Garmin StreetPilot III

Try the Garmin Street Pilot III. For about $650, its awsome. It does much better than the $2500 system built into my 01CL. It knows even the smallest streets and roads. This thing REALLY works!!

It fits nicely on the NSX's dash, and easily moves from car to car.

Thanks for the input ! I actually have a S/P 3 - use it mainly for travel overseas ( Europe etc ). Hadn't thought about putting it in my NSX. I'll se what it looks like. It is certainly a really good system at a very reasonable price ( mine was over $1K with all the add-ons, memory sticks etc - but still a great deal compared to anything else on the market )

I'm going to see if I can find someone with the SoS system also so that I can take a look at it. I'd like to see it in an actual car.

Thanks again for the input

Roger

Good Luck!!

I can only say that I am so disappointed with the DVD navi system in my CL. Even after buying the $180 DVD for 03, it still doesn't know the road I live on, and its a state road.

My Acura navi is good only to get from city to city, not to a specific address. The SPIII has rarely let me down. It brings me right to the door (ok.. heheh within 20 feet) of an address I punch in. It knows all the little roads in developments too. A new development was built along side my property and its road is only about 6 months old, and the SP knows of it.

I guess what i'm really saying is not that the SP is so good, but the NAVI in my CL is so limited. I wonder if the newer ones are better?

Can someone tell me what the SoS system is powered by ? Is it a Pioneer ? I have the new pioneer ( flip screen ) in my CL430 and it's great. I think the system + the DVD is important ??? I don't know, but I do know once you've got used to having ( a good ) one - it's hard to live without !!

Roger

Re: Consider the Garmin StreetPilot III

mikec said:
Try the Garmin Street Pilot III. For about $650, its awsome. It does much better than the $2500 system built into my 01CL. It knows even the smallest streets and roads. This thing REALLY works!!

It fits nicely on the NSX's dash, and easily moves from car to car.

Check out Garmin's website: http://www.garmin.com

Apparently there is a successor model to the Street Pilot III, called the 2610. The differences aren't so clear, but I'm hoping the interface is better. Looks like there is an alphanumeric remote, and also a touch screen.

How do you enter in an address on a current Street Pilot III? There is no keyboard, right? Do you have to do it via directional up/down left/right arrows?

-CiaoBoy

Re: Re: Consider the Garmin StreetPilot III

CiaoBoy said:
Check out Garmin's website: http://www.garmin.com

Apparently there is a successor model to the Street Pilot III, called the 2610. The differences aren't so clear, but I'm hoping the interface is better. Looks like there is an alphanumeric remote, and also a touch screen.

How do you enter in an address on a current Street Pilot III? There is no keyboard, right? Do you have to do it via directional up/down left/right arrows?

-CiaoBoy

The 2610 appears to have one big advantage, and that is that it uses standard CF memory cards to hold the detailed street maps. The SP3 uses a proprietary memory stick, which is expensive for the 128MB max. Not a big deal though. It holds enough to accommodate most any trip.

I'm not wild about touch screens though. You lose the tactile feel of real buttons, and the screen gets dirty fast.

I wonder if they improved the text to speech engine by allowing it to say the road names instead of just "turn left in 200 feet".

Entering an address and alpha data is not difficult with the SP3. You use the up/down/left/right rocker switch for everything. Once you get to a field, pressing Enter puts you into the data-entry mode for that field. Then, you use the up/down rocker to scroll through numbers and letters; use the left/right rocker to go to the next letter position. Its easy and quick thanks to an auto-complete feature.

I have a Alpine nve n8714 paid 1980cdn installed not inc monitor.
It has the smartmap pro Dvd that covers all the Us and Canada.
It will hook up to any screen or radio.

I am in Tampa with SOS set up

I have a 94 NSX with Alpine 852 Nav and SOS module. My friend is also in Tampa with a 97 with SOS module and custom PC (full computer in car) Nav system. You can see my Nav system anytime. I live in Clearwater and work in South Tampa. Drop me an email at [email protected] and you are welcome to see it anytime. For me it was definately worth the $$$. Bought system on Ebay for around $1500 and love it!

Back