Seeking detailing related advice for a black NSX

Hello.

I plan to start detailing my newly purchased black/Ivory NSX but have no real experience.

The car is in excellent condition in/out with a few, very light swirl marks on the paint. I'm not looking for a show car finish, just to protect & shine. The car is always covered & garaged. I won't have time to drive it often.

I'm afraid I'll damage the paint if I use an orbital buffer and/or a combination of multiple, specialized products. If possible, I'd rather use a simple & safe, multi-step product/package from one manufacturer but open to any recommendations. Cost is not an issue.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

No need for orbital buffer IMO. Out of the products I use I would recommend 2 depending on your needs. If you just want a quality product without too much elbow grease, Zymol is for you. If you want that wet look and don't mind 3 coats, definitely go with Zaino.

I'm not trying to start another Z____ war, just my advice. good luck

Top recommendation for a black car (I have a 91 black Ivory)
Tips on washing.

1. Get a good shampoo. I use Zymol's shampoo. Griots is also very nice. Have not tried others but what you are looking for is something really slippery that makes lots of bubbles. Your main focus here is to remove dirt w/o adding more scratches (duh, I know) but many think you are *just* trying to clean your car. No so. You are trying to clean your car without causing any additional marks, scratches, swirls.

1a. Use two buckets. One is for your soapy water. One is for rinsing. The less dirt in your wash mit the less you will scratch your car.

1b. Use a lambs wool mit. Do not use microfiber wash mits. They mat when wet. You want something deep that can hold a LOT of water and suds and keep the dirt from grinding into your paint.

1c. When rinsing your car use a steady flow of water, not a spray. A steady flow will sheet water off your car and make drying faster. Less water means less toweling, which means less chance for you to scratch your paint.

1d. Use microfiber waffel weave drying towels. All good detailer shops have them and they are relatively inexpensive.

1e. If you like, I dry using an instant detailer. It keep ths car feeling like it was just waxed and it helps keep the dust off. 3M's instant detailer works great. But since you wanted to stick with one mfg, use whatever brand you go with.

Washing Don'ts. Don't use a CA water blade. Grit gets caught and can scratch. Ask me how I know. If you drop a mit, don't use it again until you can get it throughly rinsed. (I am not so crazy that I throw it away though)

Even though I have not yet answered your question (i will try) this is very importaint. Washing and drying is where most of your scratches (swirls) come from. So if you can prevent them, you don't have to work so hard on the waxing/polishing.

OK, back to your question.

I use the Porter Cable Dual Action Polisher for everything. Polish and wax (though I remove by hand). You don't NEED one, but you will get better, faster, easier, and more visible results if you use one.

If you want simple, I have two products for you.
1. 3M Swirl Remover for Dark Cars. This will correct minor swirling, water spots, bird droppings, etc effectively and leave the paint in a ready to wax state.

2. 3M Perfect It past Wax. Great for black cars. It has a high jetting factor which translates into the "wet look". This wax is easy to apply, easy to remove, does not leave wax dust, and does not stain rubber or plastic. What else can you ask for?

These are two easy and ***SAFE*** products that will give great results, are easy to learn to use, and won't break the bank (both will cost you under $12 each).

I now try not to step on other's toes as far as what is *BEST* but to give you a point of reference, here is what I have used in the past. (I almost all 3M stuff on my car now, with the exception of a few -inbetween steps-)

Griot's Garage Best of Show Wax
Zymol NSX Wax
Zymol clearner/wax
Zaino Z1,Z2,Z5,Z7
Meguiars Gold Class (the whole line)
Meguiars Medalioin
Meguiars Professional
Mother multi step polishes and waxes (no longer remember the name it has been a while)
There are others but I don't want to take up the rest of the thread....

To be honest though, paint prep and technique is going to make FFAARR more difference than what product brand you use.

Also, do a search. Detailing Dynamics has a few good writeups (on Prime and on their website) on how-to. Proper Auto Care Online and Griot's garage both have online writeups.

If you really want to be good at this, have someone who is already good at it show you how to do it. Hand on experience will not only greatly shorten the learning curve but also make you feel more comfortable working on expensive paint. I would do it, but CA is not really all that close to you.

Good Luck.

LMK if you want more details or help. I would be happy to chat over the phone if need be. I do it for local Sacramento NSX'ers, would not mind doing the same for you.

IMO, if you have swirls or scratches a buffer is invaluable. If you get one, be sure to get good pads as they are a large part of the results.

Hiroshima said:
To be honest though, paint prep and technique is going to make FFAARR more difference than what product brand you use.
This is the best advice available - I could not agree more.

My routine usually goes something like this:
1. Full interior cleaning, leather, windows, etc. (Lexol, 303 Aerospace)
2. Cleaned wheels, tires, etc with Simple Green
3. Wash with Dawn to remove old carnuba
4. Clay w/Mothers
5. Rewashed with Dawn
6. Dry w/ the Absorber and MF towels
7. Polish with 3M perfect it II
8. Wax w/ Synthetic wax (NXT)
9. Wax w/ organic top coat (Pinnacle Sauveran)
10. Touch up trim w/ Mother's Back to Black

All good info but I have to disagree with Zaino on black cars. synthetics reflect light and carnuba refracts light. Refraction is what gives a dark car depth to the shine imo.

To refresh the paint a little, I would hit it with Pinnacle paintwork cleansing lotion then see if you need to go to swirl remover. I have nerver used the 3m wax but it sounds like people like it a lot. I have always used Pinnacle Souveran

KSNSX said:
All good info but I have to disagree with Zaino on black cars. synthetics reflect light and carnuba refracts light. Refraction is what gives a dark car depth to the shine imo.

This is one criticism I have heard about Zaino, that is, Black cars end up being too shiny with it. Although I don't know that being too shiny is a bad thing. Anyone have a picture of a black car after Zaino??

Hiroshima said:
I use the Porter Cable Dual Action Polisher for everything. Polish and wax (though I remove by hand). You don't NEED one, but you will get better, faster, easier, and more visible results if you use one.
I agree. While you may not need to use one, it sure makes life easier. If you have swirl marks, you really need to use a polish to remove them.

hlweyl said:
This is one criticism I have heard about Zaino, that is, Black cars end up being too shiny with it. Although I don't know that being too shiny is a bad thing. Anyone have a picture of a black car after Zaino??

I no longer have any pics with Zaino, but I still have some of the polish at home. Perhaps I can do a few side by side demos so the diff can be seen. Depends on how much time I can spend in the garage w/o my wife saying something.

I do think the Zaino on Red cars is very nice. On black cars it really does shine well, but what it does not do at all is hide swirls or any imperfections for that matter. I am the first to admit that my paint is nowhere near perfect. I have found that on black cars there is no such thing as perfect paint. It just does not exist. When I used Zaino, I followed the following procedure.

Griots Machine Polish 3
3M Swirl Remover
Meguiars Medalion Paint Cleaner
Dawn Car Wash
Z1
Z2
2-3 coats of Z5
Z7

My own experience has shown me that 1 coat of 3M Perfect-It Paste wax (after the same polish steps) will easily hide more swirls and minor paint imperfections that the 4ish coats of Zaino I used to put on. That and I can wipe off the 3M stuff literally 30 seconds after I apply and I only have to use 1 layer. (Granted I never used the Zaino accelerator... that came out about when I stopped using Zaino)

I am 100% positive that Zaino looks great on a lot of cars. I used it for 2ish years and was very happy until I found the 3M wax. YMMV.

The one thing that Zaino has on all others is the smell. Jeeze, if it was in a soda pop bottle and I did not know better I would down that in a second. It smells like candy! Honestly, you can't use the stuff if you are hungry, all you want to do is eat it :wink:

KSNSX said:
I have always used Pinnacle Souveran

Did a litte search on this and found that there is a special offer for those who want to try this wax:

http://www.properautocare.com/pin-312.html

Looks like they are giving away a bottle of Pinnacle Crystal Mist and a nice Microfiber Detailer's cloth with the purchase of this wax. Might be worth a look-see.

Cheers.

Jeff

Back