• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Shelf life on a timing belt??

This might be stupid question but is there a shelf life on a timing belt or any other belt for that matter? I am planning on changing the timing belt this summer. I want to start buying some of the parts now so it doesn't cost as much all at once.

Originally posted by Dman:
This might be stupid question but is there a shelf life on a timing belt or any other belt for that matter? I am planning on changing the timing belt this summer. I want to start buying some of the parts now so it doesn't cost as much all at once.

Make sure you keep it out of the sun/heat, dry, and away from oils. Most importantly, make sure you DONT CRIMP or CRUSH it when you store it (dont bend it around too tight a radius).

It should store until summer just fine.

Originally posted by Dman:

I want to start buying some of the parts now so it doesn't cost as much all at once.

when you have money to buy a part, why don't you pretend to buy it and instead stick it in a savings account w/ interest. then when you're ready to buy many parts you will have the money. buying parts just to set them on a shelf will not earn any interest, and just take up space. you'll also avoid misplacing, losing, or having the parts walk off by themselves.

------------------
Xane Ze

Originally posted by xane ze:
when you have money to buy a part, why don't you pretend to buy it and instead stick it in a savings account w/ interest. then when you're ready to buy many parts you will have the money. buying parts just to set them on a shelf will not earn any interest, and just take up space. you'll also avoid misplacing, losing, or having the parts walk off by themselves.

And the possibility that you will get a defective part that is unreturnable due to time elapsed. This recently happened to me on a non-NSX issue. I ended up buying the same thing twice.

Back