• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Shipping large boxes from US to EU

Can anyone give me a hint for the cheapest way to ship large volume - low weight boxes from US?
A couple of the US companies are asking more then 1000 USD for a box appx 10 kgs, 175x75x60 cm.

Ocean freight is ok, I am in no hurry.

Last edited:
On the FedEx site, I could not figure out how to get a price for intl. freight. :confused:

DHL is one of the mentioned companies.

UPS is asking usd 300 from Nevada to New Jersey to an international freight company's hub.

I am sure there is a cheaper solution to be found as I previously have had wheels, rear spoilers, sideskirts etc shipped for 250-400 USD.

I would certainly be interested in feedback on this as well. I would like to ship a hood and exhaust I can easily obtain in the US near my former home, but haven't found reasonable shipping costs yet.

My solution is to ship inland US with UPS (cheapest of the bigger companies) to a hub for ocean freight to Norway.

I have found a couple of companies specialized in the Norwegian car markets, one in NJ and one in FL. They also offers forwarding inland in Norway for a reasonable price as I am located 1400 kms away from their port so collecting myself is not an option.

The total for me should be appx. 600-700 USD for a box the size in my first post. Saves me 3-400 USD over the cheapest door-to-door offer and 1600-1700 better then what DHL charges on their web calculator..:frown:

It is a paradox though that the cost for shipping my box is almost identical to shipping a whole car.

Last edited:
DB Schenker couldn't do it cheaper?

My solution is to ship inland US with UPS (cheapest of the bigger companies) to a hub for ocean freight to Norway.

I have found a couple of companies specialized in the Norwegian car markets, one in NJ and one in FL. They also offers forwarding inland in Norway for a reasonable price as I am located 1400 kms away from their port so collecting myself is not an option.

The total for me should be appx. 600-700 USD for a box the size in my first post. Saves me 3-400 USD over the cheapest door-to-door offer and 1600-1700 better then what DHL charges on their web calculator..:frown:

It is a paradox though that the cost for shipping my box is almost identical to shipping a whole car.

No, they asked USD 500 for ocean freight NY - Oslo.
I might remember wrong, but door-to-door was appx. USD 1100.

As a test, I used 10001 (NYC) to 0301 (Oslo) as I am unsure your specifics. Using UPS air freight, I got a quote of $345. Go to "Calculate Time and Cost." I used 69 x 30 x 24 (in.) / Pallets. A friend here just shipped a ducted hood for his C6 Z06 and it cost him 300USD using UPS air freight! Time in transit is about 7 days too!

<dl><dt> <label> Ship From: </label>NEW YORK , NY , 10001 , US </dt><dt> <label> Ship To: </label>Oslo , 0301 , NO </dt><dt> <label for=""> Shipment Date: </label>Tuesday, 03/02/2010 </dt><dt> <label for=""> Payment Terms: </label>Prepaid </dt><dt> <label for=""> Declared/Insured Value: </label>1400 USD
</dt><dt> <label for=""> Actual Weight: </label>22 (lbs.) </dt><dt> <label for=""> Dimensional Weight:</label>300 (lbs.) </dt><dt> <label for=""> Billable Weight: </label> 300 (lbs.) </dt></dl>

It cannot be calculated due to the size of the box:
>>> Package exceeds the maximum size total constraints of 165 inches (length + girth, where girth is 2 x width plus 2 x height).

Maybe you can try:

Ships from 89149 Las Vegas, NV
To: 9408 Harstad, Norway

30 lbs/ 72x30x24 in.

Hi,

i live in Portugal, and when i need large and/or heavy parts shipped to me, i do it always through Mark@Daliracing... He uses DB Schenke (old Bax Global)... examples:
1 - VIS NSX-R Hood and VIS NSX-R Wing, 2 boxes = $260 shipping cost, door to airport (I pick up), took 3 or 4 days
2 - OEM 02+ NSX Wheels with tires (92kg), 4 boxes = $265 shipping cost, door to airport (I pick up), took 3 or 4 days

if the shipping cost was door-to-door, it would raise the price to more than twice, so it's not a big deal to pick it up at the airport.

Nuno

This is a quite big box, but I find shipping costs much more expensive this time. I have also ordered from MJ several times, and had it shipped to my area. 4 wheels was appx USD 250 but then it was in 4 smaller boxes.
I paid USD 300 for a carbon hood from VIPbodykits a couple of years ago.

For Bax/DB Schenker my nearest airport is Amsterdam, 3000 km to the south. Then they ship by truck to their customs depot in Trondheim, only 1000 kms to the south. Finally they will have it sent to their storing facilities in Narvik, which is really close. Appx. 120 kms....

I am NOT saying UPS is the cheapest, as I cannot compare DB Schenker directly, but this gives you an idea what UPS' website quotes you as.

The reason you reached the limit of 165 inches is because on the first page that says "Calculate Time and Cost," there are actually two tabs on top and you left it on the default "Package" tab. There is "Package" and "Freight." Click Freight, and then select "Air Freight." That takes you to quotes for oversized/heavy items shipped by air.

Using your information, I get a quote of 429 USD with 6 day delivery as cheapest option (but NOT guaranteed to be 6 days, only estimated).

<table class="dataTable" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr class="odd"><td>UPS Air Freight Consolidated<sup>SM</sup>
(Non-Guaranteed)</td> <td nowrap="nowrap"> 428.77 USD
Show Details </td> <td>Wednesday
03/03/2010</td> <td>01:00 PM
Tuesday
03/09/201</td></tr></tbody></table>
<dl><dt><label>Ship From: </label>LAS VEGAS , NV , 89149 , US </dt><dt> <label> Ship To: </label>Harstad , 9408 , NO </dt><dt> <label for=""> Shipment Date: </label>Wednesday, 03/03/2010 </dt><dt> <label for=""> Payment Terms: </label>Prepaid </dt><dt> <label for=""> Declared/Insured Value: </label>1500 USD
</dt><dt> <label for=""> Actual Weight: </label>30 (lbs.) </dt><dt> <label for=""> Dimensional Weight: </label> 313 (lbs.) </dt><dt> <label for=""> Billable Weight:</label>313 (lbs.) </dt></dl><table class="dataTable" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><th>Quantity </th> <th> Dimensions / Type </th> <th> Weight Each </th> </tr> <tr class="odd"> <td> 1 </td> <td> 72 x 30 x 24 (in.) / Pallets </td> <td> 30 (lbs.) </td></tr></tbody></table>

Finally I was able to get the same price. :smile:
jstratm: Thanks a lot. This will save me another 3-400 USD. :biggrin:

USD 400-ish is what I expected to pay when I compare to other shipments from US. Normally the vendor has booked shipping. This is my first time, and I have really learnt a lot.

My next quest is to get a windshield for my 86 Acura Integra shipped for a reasonable price. Price in US appx. USD 100, in Norway USD 900. I believe it is possible to ship a windshield in a cradle for less then USD 500. :rolleyes:

Finally I was able to get the same price. :smile:
jstratm: Thanks a lot. This will save me another 3-400 USD. :biggrin:

USD 400-ish is what I expected to pay when I compare to other shipments from US. Normally the vendor has booked shipping. This is my first time, and I have really learnt a lot.

My next quest is to get a windshield for my 86 Acura Integra shipped for a reasonable price. Price in US appx. USD 100, in Norway USD 900. I believe it is possible to ship a windshield in a cradle for less then USD 500. :rolleyes:
Cradle and protection is going to be critical i've heard of to many windows and windscreens braking

According to seller, this rate only applies for companies shipping items and not for private transactions. :confused:

I decided to use ocean freight with a small Ft. Lauderdale company (with Norwegian contact person) called Flex International Ventures. They ship to several European locations. So UPs to FL, container to Norway and inland transport to my location.

I'll leave feedback as soon as I receive the goods.

Using your information, I get a quote of 429 USD with 6 day delivery as cheapest option (but NOT guaranteed to be 6 days, only estimated).

<table class="dataTable" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr class="odd"><td>UPS Air Freight Consolidated<sup>SM</sup>
(Non-Guaranteed)</td> <td nowrap="nowrap"> 428.77 USD
Show Details </td> <td>Wednesday
03/03/2010</td> <td>01:00 PM
Tuesday
03/09/201</td></tr></tbody></table>
<dl><dt><label>Ship From: </label>LAS VEGAS , NV , 89149 , US </dt><dt> <label> Ship To: </label>Harstad , 9408 , NO </dt><dt> <label for=""> Shipment Date: </label>Wednesday, 03/03/2010 </dt><dt> <label for=""> Payment Terms: </label>Prepaid </dt><dt> <label for=""> Declared/Insured Value: </label>1500 USD
</dt><dt> <label for=""> Actual Weight: </label>30 (lbs.) </dt><dt> <label for=""> Dimensional Weight: </label> 313 (lbs.) </dt><dt> <label for=""> Billable Weight:</label>313 (lbs.) </dt></dl><table class="dataTable" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><th>Quantity </th> <th> Dimensions / Type </th> <th> Weight Each </th> </tr> <tr class="odd"> <td> 1 </td> <td> 72 x 30 x 24 (in.) / Pallets </td> <td> 30 (lbs.) </td></tr></tbody></table>

Sorry for the bad information; I didn't realize it only applied to those specific conditions. I will have a friend back in the US figure out how to get me my hood!

Hi

Midnight ask your local NSX maniac. :smile:

I seem to have little time to hang around on the forums so I have not seen this post before now.

Here is what I know.

USPS has always been cheapest for what ever I have bought from the US. The largest things I bought though is 4 rims.

I guess I am late now. But local shipping to NJ is the way to go or how it was.

Have these guys ship it to Norway

Jetcarrier

Check their website and you will find the price there.

Edit: I plan on using them to get myself a "new" winter beater/daily driver.

Regards

Last edited:
Back