• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Skip Barber 3-Day Racing School

I did a search on this but it has been several years since any new threads have been posted.

I recently signed up for the 3-Day Racing School (in the Formula cars) at Mid-Ohio for this coming August 28th-30th. I'm 36 and the extent of my driving experience is limited to numerous high performance vehicles and some karting. Needless to say I am very excited but not overly confident in my abilities (or lack there of). It's something I've always wanted to do and have finally granted myself the opportunity to do so. Anyone else participated in the program recently? Any tips or suggestions? I've read some of the reviews and what to expect, but maybe anything specific to Mid-Ohio? Any feedback would be largely appreciated.

Joe

I was 37 when I did it and 40 when I did the advanced racing school. I don't believe the format has changed over the years and am sure you will not only enjoy it but also earn a lot. I had no racing experience at the time and no karting experience but got over the jitters the first time I completed a lap (at lime rock).

It was the best experience I could get before tracking my NSX which now has 111 track days and over 12,000 track miles. I highly recommend it.

Did the 3 day class at Road Atlanta back when they were Formula Dodge. Then did several lapping days and other advanced classes where you got to drive different street cars on a short road course (starting with Neon, then AWD Stealth R/T turbo, followed by Viper and finally Barber Formula Dodge). Another class was a figure 8 double skid pad arrangement that was sprinklered to keep it wet. Took Dodge pickup trucks with slick tires and learned how to control around course spinning the rear tires and hanging out the rear, then followed that up with Formula Dodge series car. The following two years raced in the SB Southern Series.

I do not consider myself an expert by any means but would advise you to get as much seat time as you can afford and pick the brains of the instructors and get as much feedback as possible.

Thanks, gentlemen. I hear an astounding amount of positive feedback in regards to this school. I'm hoping to get as much experience out of it as I can. I'd like to pursue the advanced courses following this one, and maybe look into race weekends or lapping sessions as well. Is it as 'show up, drive, and leave' as they say? Curious about this. . . .

Here too. Did the BSM school at Brands Hatch in the 70's and the Jim Russel school at Riverside , CA in the 80's. Went on to SCCA racing and ultimately to Pro racing. Invaluable education especially when you go beyond the basic courses. We even did school sprint (20 minutes) races that opened up a brand new door to our potential. Go for it; the knowledge stays with you for life.

Is it as 'show up, drive, and leave' as they say? Curious about this. . . .

Yes it is.

Piece of advice. Buy the insurance for crash damage waiver for peace of mind. It used to be included but now you have a certain amount of liability. I sent my 16 year old daughter without a drivers licenses (she is a karter) and she ended up not needing (and being fastest in her class) but I was more relaxed watching her knowing I wouldn't owe anything if she hit something.

Yes it is.

Piece of advice. Buy the insurance for crash damage waiver for peace of mind. It used to be included but now you have a certain amount of liability. I sent my 16 year old daughter without a drivers licenses (she is a karter) and she ended up not needing (and being fastest in her class) but I was more relaxed watching her knowing I wouldn't owe anything if she hit something.

Another shoe in the family!? Excellent.

I think it was another $600 for $4,000 max out of pocket deductible. I included that in the purchase. Should've noted that.

I decided to get a GoPro also. They said they're very common there as I expected. Wanted the whole thing on video to preserve the experience as well as maybe learn something from reviewing it.

At the starter level you will be blasted with so much tactile and sensory info that much will be wasted...therefor my suggestion is as you progress in your hpde/racing go back to anyone of these schools for the advanced sessions...you will really absorb more later down the road.

I did the 1 day school and the three day high performance driving school programs. Loved them and cant say anything bad except i wish i had more seat time.. but then again is there ever really enough :-/

I was told though had i brought my NSX they would have let me use that on the track instead of the Skip Barber M3s, Evoras, 911s and other cars in the lineup they had.

Last month I even used some of the Skills I was taught on COTA in austin texas. Definitely think it has overall helped me

Received a call from my Skip Barber contact yesterday. They have canceled the Mid-Ohio 3-Day Racing School for this weekend. Said there were a lot of accidents at the prior event, and they couldn't get the cars back together in time. A bit odd, but I opted to reschedule for Laguna Seca this December. It was more expensive but they let me transfer no charge. In addition, they issued a credit to my account which allowed me to fully book the 2-Day Advanced Racing School in Palm Beach, Florida for this coming February. Basically I paid for the insurance and that's it out of pocket. So, although I was anxious to get going this weekend, they made it right and I'm again very excited for December and this coming February.

Of course, it also gives me time to get in even better shape. Wasn't quite where I wanted to be fitness wise for this weekend. Now there will truly be no excuse.

Overall I'm happy with how it transpired. Things happen and it all worked out.

Back