• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Skip Barber racing

Just back from spending 3 incredible days at Sebring going through the Skip Barber 3-day Racing School... just unreal.

Top class operation, fantastic instructors and a perfectly progressive curriculum. More driving time that a human body (at least mine
smile.gif
) can stand on a daily basis. Incredibly personalized coaching. Excellent equipment & support. Zero idle time, you are either driving, in class doing theory, or out in the track somewhere learning from the other drivers.

Just wanted to share this in case any of you had considered it but were not sure - definitely worth the ticket price, they certainly exceeded my expectations.

Still high from the experience, only one downer: after driving the formula car and getting into the NSX every night to drive back to the hotel, the NSX felt like driving a minivan - unresponsive, quiet, heavy thing with a huge steering wheel, ridiculously long shifter, etc.

I'm sure I'll get over it in a couple of days, just a funny example on how relative everything is in life.

I have considered hitting up a good racing school. I would love to have the level of control they teach. I was wondering though, how much was the Skip Barber class, and what cars did you spend time in. Also, have you attended any other racing schools that you could compare it to? I have heard good things about the Bonduraunt classes as well.

------------------
Weenie '95 V6 Mustang
Dreams of Future NSX

Hi Jester,

Skip B. was the first "real" school I attended, if you don't count instruction at track events. Heard good things about Bondurant too (I understand they use Mustangs as well which would be up your alley), but Skip B. does a lot of tracks on a regular basis so availability was great.

Not cheap, around 3k for the 3-day school - I suppose its ok to mention that the price is negotiable, particularly if you have the flexibility to be a last-minute addition. I ended up paying about 2k for it.

99.9% of the time was spent on their Formula cars, only exception was taking a couple of laps in a Neon with the instructor teaching the track.

Really can't say enough good things about these folks, they know exactly what they are doing and what works to get one progressively faster.

Back