• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Some clips of HP performance turbo kit on the dyno (VVIS related)

Ok, I have read through this thread and two others relating to the VVIS Plate - Butterfly Valve Delete discussions and I am running the Gruppe M blower setup. I am now convinced that deleting the VVIS from my car would result in HP and torque gains. However, I am not entirely sure I want gut the VVIS plate in case in the distant future I want to return the car to stock. I do not have the time or easily have access to a Dino where I live to determine what differences in HP/torque if any would occur if I removed the plate altogether as opposed to just gutting it. That's why removing the VVIS unit altogether appeals to me.

If I remove the spacer are there any problems that may come up that I have not thought of? Or, has someone here done this already, perhaps with some numbers to support gutting or complete removal and I just have not read about it?

Based on the reading I did about this subject you'd most certainly need to get your car re-tuned on a dyno after making any changes to it. Do you have it disabled already?

Based on the reading I did about this subject you'd most certainly need to get your car re-tuned on a dyno after making any changes to it. Do you have it disabled already?

No, I have not disabled it yet but plan to over the coming weekend.

I thought boost preassure was controlled by the Blow off valve / waste gate combo.
I do know the Indy car guys would "cheat" in the set boost preassures by altering the intake tract. Resulting in more net boost and/or flow.

If you completely remove the VVIS plate will everything bolt back together without any other modifications? Or, do other parts need to be modified to get everything to fit without the VVIS plate? If so, what needs to be modified to run without the VVIS plate?

If you completely remove the VVIS plate will everything bolt back together without any other modifications? Or, do other parts need to be modified to get everything to fit without the VVIS plate? If so, what needs to be modified to run without the VVIS plate?

The screws which hold the intake manifold together will be too long without the VVIS plate, so slightly shorter screws are required; this is the only modification required.

It seems with a gutted plate, there is a significant torque advantage, without any plate, there is still a horsepower advantage. If you have already gone through the trouble of removing the intake manifold assembly, why not do the extra step of installing a gutted spacer plate?

Who has an already gutted VVIS spacer plate for sale (without requiring an exchange)? Personally, I wouldn't want to irreversibly gut mine, in case I wanted to put it back to stock later. So if I can't get an extra VVIS plate in my hands, I would probably just opt to disable the VVIS by pulling the vacuum line and calling it a day.

Last edited:
Who has an already gutted VVIS spacer plate for sale (without requiring an exchange)? Personally, I wouldn't want to irreversibly gut mine, in case I wanted to put it back to stock later. So if I can't get an extra VVIS plate in my hands, I would probably just opt to disable the VVIS by pulling the vacuum line and calling it a day.

Find a person who has installed a CTSC, and has removed their factory intake manifold assembly, and use this for its VVIS plate; you could also use the entire manifold as a core for honing, etc.

Alternatively, you could remove the VVIS plate, take it to a machine shop, and have a spacer plate made without modifying your original piece; just get the height the same, with the same bolt pattern... there is ample clearance around the manifold, so it doesn't need to be the exact shape (I believe the spacer plate SOS used to sell was a rectangle, to reduce machining costs).

I need to remove my intake manifold to repair a damaged alternator bracket. While I have the intake off, I will be completely removing VVIS assembly. My engine is a built motor with twin turbos. I would like better low end throttle response (quicker spool up).

While I have the intake off and apart, should I do any mods to the intake to improve air flow?
If so, what should be done?

Has anyone experienced gains from modifying the intake? (i.e match porting, polishing runners, larger throttle body?)

Last night I removed the intake manifold and repaired the alternator bracket.

I'm looking for better low end response for my turbo application. I already have plenty of high end power for my street driving
Some have posted that removal of the VVIS plate will decrease volume resulting in faster boost. Others have recommended that I keep the VVIS gutted spacer plate.

Now the question is... Should I completely delete the gutted VVIS plate or keep it?

Any comments and/or sharing of knowledge & experience would be greatly appreciated.

Back